Stratus vs IBM
Author Message
 Stratus vs IBM

Just curious to know if anyone has worked on both versions and can
compare/contrast?

i've done plenty of time on IBM  PL1 and wondered if i could walk into a
stratus job and be able to do it.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:49:24 GMT
 Stratus vs IBM

Quote:
> Just curious to know if anyone has worked on both versions and can
> compare/contrast?

> i've done plenty of time on IBM  PL1 and wondered if i could walk into a
> stratus job and be able to do it.

not having any ibm pl1 knowledge, i'd say sure. stratus pl1 is subset g
compliant, so you may not have everything you're used to, but then again,
you also have c, c++, fortran, Pascal, and cobol available too.

regards,
charlie
stratus cac

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:03:09 GMT
 Stratus vs IBM

Quote:
> Just curious to know if anyone has worked on both versions and can
> compare/contrast?

> i've done plenty of time on IBM  PL1 and wondered if i could walk into a
> stratus job and be able to do it.

The PL/I aspect of the work won't be a problem for you.  The Stratus PL/I is
very standard, and is a subset of the full language.  However, unless you
are writing in pure PL/I (unlikely), you will need to call the operating
system, and the Stratus operating system calls are unique to Stratus.
However, IMNSO (see .sig), the operating system calls are well-documented,
highly-functional, and easy to learn.

Plus these days you have the option of using the (forgive the mention in
this newsgroup...) C language in our POSIX environment and leveraging your
Unix/Linux knowledge.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Computer.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610

Wed, 09 Nov 2005 05:10:59 GMT

1. Stratus PL/I

2. NY - Looking for a Stratus VOS PL1 Programmer

3. STRATUS PL/1

4. IS:: job--NJ--Stratus/VOS Software Developer

5. Career Opportunity for Stratus Programmers

6. 8 PL/I jobs in U.S. Stratus.

7. Stratus vacancies

8. Stratus!

9. Stratus: VRML Artspace

10. US-FL-COBOL/Stratus Bilingual Prog Wanted!!

11. *** US - MIAMI OPPORTUNITIES FOR COBOL / STRATUS / SYSTEM 88 DEVELOPERS***

12. port to Stratus FTX ?