Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler
Author Message
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of  source code for the Cornell
PL/C compiler (which I assume should be in the public domain by now).

Alternatively, have any of the now-defunct minicomputer manufacturers
released their subset G compilers into the PD?

Steve

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:11:31 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

>Does anyone know of the whereabouts of  source code for the Cornell
>PL/C compiler (which I assume should be in the public domain by now).
>Alternatively, have any of the now-defunct minicomputer manufacturers
>released their subset G compilers into the PD?

How about the source code for the IBM PL/I (F) compiler?
Would that help any?  It is available on the net.

(The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)

-- glen

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:42:12 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler
PL/C is not (at least not yet) available.

I wrote to Steve Worona at Cornell wh had something to do with PL/C
development and is now a VP or Assistant VP at Cornell.  He basically
said "we'll thing about it.".

You might want to (nicely) write him at:

Where is the source for PL/I(F)?  I have the load library, but I
haven'tr seen source anywhere.

Quote:

> >Does anyone know of the whereabouts of  source code for the Cornell
> >PL/C compiler (which I assume should be in the public domain by now).

> >Alternatively, have any of the now-defunct minicomputer manufacturers
> >released their subset G compilers into the PD?

> How about the source code for the IBM PL/I (F) compiler?
> Would that help any?  It is available on the net.

> (The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)

> -- glen

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:30:01 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:
>Where is the source for PL/I(F)?  I have the load library, but I
>haven'tr seen source anywhere.

Probably at http://www.cbt.org and definitely available via the
Hercules project.

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:59:22 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:
>(The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)

F? It was the first PL/I compiler in the IBM world[1], but I don't
know of any vendor that considers it to be a reference standard these
days; certainly not IBM.

Perhaps you're thinking of the definition done by IBM's Vienna
research laboratory, which heavily influenced the language used in the
ANSI standard.

[1] I believe that the MULTICS compiler was usable earlier

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:58:02 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler
My memory may be flawed, but I thought there was at least a PL1/E or D. (I
am more sure D was for the IBM 360 DOS)

IIRC, the early versions were PL/1 not PL/I. (or was it the other way?)

Ron Alexander
PL1 programmer since 1969.

Quote:

> >(The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)

> F? It was the first PL/I compiler in the IBM world[1], but I don't
> know of any vendor that considers it to be a reference standard these
> days; certainly not IBM.

> Perhaps you're thinking of the definition done by IBM's Vienna
> research laboratory, which heavily influenced the language used in the
> ANSI standard.

> [1] I believe that the MULTICS compiler was usable earlier

> --
>      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
>      Atid/2
>      Team OS/2
>      Team PL/I

> Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
> action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
> abusive E-mail.

> I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
> domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:04:25 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler
In 1964 I was working for then North American Aviation. We received the
second 360-65 to have been delivered by IBM to the West Coast. I was one
of the beta testers of the compiler. It was PL/I (eye) not (one)
although many people were careless in their written references because
we say "pea ell one" not "pea ell roman eye". Also, it came out as Level
F -- I have no recollection of a D or E version preceding the original
release.
Quote:

> My memory may be flawed, but I thought there was at least a PL1/E or D. (I
> am more sure D was for the IBM 360 DOS)

> IIRC, the early versions were PL/1 not PL/I. (or was it the other way?)

> Ron Alexander
> PL1 programmer since 1969.

> > >(The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)

> > F? It was the first PL/I compiler in the IBM world[1], but I don't
> > know of any vendor that considers it to be a reference standard these
> > days; certainly not IBM.

> > Perhaps you're thinking of the definition done by IBM's Vienna
> > research laboratory, which heavily influenced the language used in the
> > ANSI standard.

> > [1] I believe that the MULTICS compiler was usable earlier

> > --
> >      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
> >      Atid/2
> >      Team OS/2
> >      Team PL/I

> > Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
> > action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
> > abusive E-mail.

> > I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
> > domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:57:04 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

>>(The reference standard for PL/I compilers.)
>F? It was the first PL/I compiler in the IBM world[1], but I don't
>know of any vendor that considers it to be a reference standard these
>days; certainly not IBM.

Well, yes.  Reference in the sense that it was first, the one
that the PL/I Language Reference was written for, (though they always
say that the Language Reference describes the language independent
of the implementation.)

How about historical reference standard then?

-- glen

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:22:44 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

>My memory may be flawed, but I thought there was at least a PL1/E or D. (I
>am more sure D was for the IBM 360 DOS)

>IIRC, the early versions were PL/1 not PL/I. (or was it the other way?)

Prior to the PL/I Optimizing Compiler in 1971, IBM released only PL/I
(F) (developed at Hursley) for OS/360 and PL/I (D) (developed at
Boeblingen) for DOS/360 and TOS/360. There was a PL/I (H) project at
Hursley that was cancelled before the F compiler was released.

All the early PL/I documents and compilers said "PL/I", not "PL/1".

- Jim Saum

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:37:34 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

> >My memory may be flawed, but I thought there was at least a PL1/E or D. (I
> >am more sure D was for the IBM 360 DOS)

> >IIRC, the early versions were PL/1 not PL/I. (or was it the other way?)

> Prior to the PL/I Optimizing Compiler in 1971, IBM released only PL/I
> (F) (developed at Hursley) for OS/360 and PL/I (D) (developed at
> Boeblingen) for DOS/360 and TOS/360. There was a PL/I (H) project at
> Hursley that was cancelled before the F compiler was released.

IBM also produced PL/I for the IBM Model 1130.
And an optimizing compiler for DOS (don't know whether this preceded).
Quote:
> All the early PL/I documents and compilers said "PL/I", not "PL/1".

> - Jim Saum

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:37:45 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

>IBM also produced PL/I for the IBM Model 1130.

Another non-mainframe IBM PL/I in the 1970s was for the Series/1
minicomputer.

Quote:
>And an optimizing compiler for DOS (don't know whether this preceded).

The PL/I Optimizer (comprised of the compiler, resident library, and
transient library), was released in separate versions for OS/360 and
DOS/360 in 1971. Most of the compiler was common across the OS and DOS
platforms; some resident and transient library modules had
platform-dependent versions.

Unlike PL/I (D) for DOS, which was a subset (different from the much
later ANSI Subset G) of the full PL/I language supported by PL/I (F)
for OS, the DOS version of the Optimizer supported essentially the
same language as the OS version, except for features that the DOS
operating system could not support (e.g., multitasking).

After VM/370 was released in 1972, there was a separate release of the
Optimizer for CMS.

The PL/I Checkout Compiler was released (~1972?) for OS and CMS only.

- Jim Saum

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:51:54 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:

> >Where is the source for PL/I(F)?  I have the load library, but I
> >haven'tr seen source anywhere.

> Probably at http://www.cbt.org and definitely available via the
> Hercules project.

That appears to be the website for the Columbia (River) Basin Trust,
"an organization for the people".

-dq

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:55:09 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler
http://www.cbttape.org

os360 source.

Quote:

> > >Where is the source for PL/I(F)?  I have the load library, but I
> > >haven'tr seen source anywhere.

> > Probably at http://www.cbt.org and definitely available via the
> > Hercules project.

> That appears to be the website for the Columbia (River) Basin Trust,
> "an organization for the people".

> -dq

Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:16:19 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:
>Reference in the sense that it was first, the one
>that the PL/I Language Reference was written for,

AFAIK that manual had no relevance to anything beyond F.

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:35:44 GMT
 Source code for PL/C (or any Subset G) compiler

Quote:
>My memory may be flawed, but I thought there was at least a PL1/E or
>D. (I am more sure D was for the IBM 360 DOS)

D was for DOS; I've never heard of an E. H was dropped before it was
released.

Quote:
>IIRC, the early versions were PL/1 not PL/I. (or was it the other
>way?)

ANSI specified the name as PL/I; I vaguely recall that IBM initially
called it PL/1 and registered the names PL/2 through PL/99.

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:35:09 GMT

 [ 29 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. PL/C and other PL/I subsets

2. Open Source PL/1 Compilers?

3. Looking for PL/I source for GAUSS compiler

4. NEW PL/1 COMPILER and SOURCE TRANSLATOR TO C

5. NEW PL/1 COMPILER and SOURCE TRANSLATOR TO C

6. CODE: subset of tcl-dp like layer on sun socket code

7. Source Code Formatter for PL/I

8. PL/1 source code conversion to C

9. Need tool for crunching PL/M-386 source code

10. PL/I source code please.

11. Source code recovery for PL/1

12. PL/1 (370 mainframe) to PC microcomputer code cross compiler