PL/1 Utilities...
Author Message
 PL/1 Utilities...

I sent out a mail a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone had any way of
automatic generating PL/1 code, but received only one reply.

If people do not use any tools to automatically generate code, then what
other tools are used to help with designing, coding, and testing the
Programs?

I have found that Systems Architect can be a very good tool for
designing JSP diagrams, which can then be easilly translated into code.
It automatically links and repositions the diagrams and prompts for if a
box is describing a sequence, selection, or iteration. It can also print
to any scale.

For debugging, we have some tools written for ROSCOE (we use ROSCOE and
TSO) which allow you to quickly locate and correct any erroneous
statements. We also have a tool which allows you to quickly create
program templates, subroutine skeletons, "On Error" blocks, etc.. If
anyone has any useful utilities for TSO or ROSCOE then it would be of
interest to know.

For improving the efficientcy of the Programs, we have outlined about 20
or so things outlined in our standards manual (perhaps I could post
these to the group if there is enough interest), but we also make use of
"Strobe" which allows you to find out where most of the CPU is being
used inside a Program.

So....what other tools do people find useful?

Regards,

-Rob-

Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Utilities...

Quote:
>I sent out a mail a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone had any way of
>automatic generating PL/1 code, but received only one reply.

Two obvious candidate are ISPF models ands syntax-oriented editors.

        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Utilities...

        >I sent out a mail a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone had any way of
        >automatic generating PL/1 code, but received only one reply.

        >If people do not use any tools to automatically generate code, then what
        >other tools are used to help with designing, coding, and testing the
        >Programs?

        >I have found that Systems Architect can be a very good tool for
        >designing JSP diagrams, which can then be easilly translated into code.
        >It automatically links and repositions the diagrams and prompts for if a
        >box is describing a sequence, selection, or iteration. It can also print
        >to any scale.

        >For debugging, we have some tools written for ROSCOE (we use ROSCOE and
        >TSO) which allow you to quickly locate and correct any erroneous
        >statements. We also have a tool which allows you to quickly create
        >program templates, subroutine skeletons, "On Error" blocks, etc.. If
        >anyone has any useful utilities for TSO or ROSCOE then it would be of
        >interest to know.

        >For improving the efficientcy of the Programs, we have outlined about 20
        >or so things outlined in our standards manual (perhaps I could post
        >these to the group if there is enough interest), but we also make use of
        >"Strobe" which allows you to find out where most of the CPU is being
        >used inside a Program.

        >So....what other tools do people find useful?

        >Regards, -Rob-

---There's IBM's PL/I Toolkit for OS/2 (alias Visual PL/I) for
building large systems.

Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Seeking C->PL/1 utility

2. PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???

3. Search Utility, Compare Utility

4. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

5. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

6. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

7. Difference PL/1 PL/I

8. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

9. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

10. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

11. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)

12. The PL/I Connection (PL/I Newsletter No. 6)