Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program 
Author Message
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Can someone show me how to do this? The COBOL program requires a par-
ameter list which is 200 bytes long. I can pass either a structure or a
pointer to the beginning of the structure. I nedd it for a CICS app, but
will take a batch app.          

Tia
Pjk



Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Quote:

> Can someone show me how to do this? The COBOL program requires a par-
> ameter list which is 200 bytes long. I can pass either a structure or a
> pointer to the beginning of the structure. I nedd it for a CICS app, but
> will take a batch app.

In CICS, you call a COBOL program in exactly the same way as you would a
PL/1 or any other program.  The CICS system and the language compilers
take care of the nitty-gritty.  The joys of the standard linkage
convention.
--
=====================================================
Thus writes the virtual quill pen of Charles F Hankel
Dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas  -  Juvenal
=====================================================


Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Quote:


> > Can someone show me how to do this? The COBOL program requires a par-
> > ameter list which is 200 bytes long.

> In CICS, you call a COBOL program in exactly the same way as you would a
> PL/1 or any other program.  The CICS system and the language compilers
> take care of the nitty-gritty.  The joys of the standard linkage
> convention.

If I EXEC CICS LINK PROGRAM ('COBOL'), how do I tell the receiving pgm
where or what the parameter list is? Are there not some considerations
for the length of the TWA? Do I have to maintain the integrety of the
calling programs internal instruction pointer(s)?

Tia
Pjk



Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Hi,
        You need to go look at your CICS application programming
reference/guide.  What you want to do is a
"EXEC CICS LINK PROGRAM(name) COMMAREA(data-area) LENGTH(data-value)"

This is not a PL/1 vs COBOL issue, it is the standard way of passing
information to another program in CICS.  The COMMAREA is a chunk of
storage for passing parameters.

Yours,

Bruce



Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Quote:



> > > Can someone show me how to do this? The COBOL program requires a
> par-
> > > ameter list which is 200 bytes long.

> > In CICS, you call a COBOL program in exactly the same way as you
> would a
> > PL/1 or any other program.  The CICS system and the language
> compilers
> > take care of the nitty-gritty.  The joys of the standard linkage
> > convention.

> If I EXEC CICS LINK PROGRAM ('COBOL'), how do I tell the receiving pgm

> where or what the parameter list is? Are there not some considerations

> for the length of the TWA? Do I have to maintain the integrety of the
> calling programs internal instruction pointer(s)?

> Tia
> Pjk

?????

EXEC CICS LINK
    PROGRAM(SOMEPROG)
    COMMARA(MYDATA)
END-EXEC.

TWA??? That's something CICS Macro programmers dealt with in earlier
days...
The convention with using EXEC CICS LINK is to pass one an only one area
in the COMMAREA parameter...

Geir Knaplund



Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

Quote:






Ok, thanks VM. I'm trying these suggestions now. (The weird thing is
that the called COBOL program is doing subsequent ADABAS calls, and it
is now these calls that are screwing me up).

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, again.

Pjk



Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program

2. Calling a non-COBOL program from a COBOL program on OS/390

3. Cobol calling Pl/1 program

4. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program

5. rexx program calling cobol program

6. Call CSP program from COBOL program

7. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program

8. COBOL II calls to OS/VS COBOL programs in batch

9. Dynamically Calling Programs from PL/I

10. Need help on PL/I called program

11. Dynamically Calling Programs from PL/I

12. Windows program call DOS program

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software