PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???
Author Message
 PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???

Hi,
   Does anyone know of a company that produces a PL/I to C (or C++)
converter.  We have some application on the Host in PL/I that need to be
re-hosted in a Unix environment.  Any assistance would be helpful.

Regards,
Bob Sanders

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???
I fear you are wasting your time looking for a conversion:
 1) There are many PL/1 constructs that just dont have any C or C++ equivalent.
     There has has been plenty of discussion about this on the web, I have a paper copy of
"Power Vs Adventure -PL/I and C" which was a paper presented to GUIDE & SHARE Europe Vienna,
oct 94 by Eberhard Sturm.  I printed it from the WWW but I cant remember and cant find the
URL... can anybody remember what it was?

 2) Conversion is almost certainly going to be a real pain and extermly expensive.

 3) there are good PL/1 compilers available from IBM (OS/2, AIX, WIN32(soon)) and LIANT (loads
of UNIXs etc) and they would both do a better job than any converter.

This discussion will run and run....

Tue, 07 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???

        >   Does anyone know of a company that produces a PL/I to C (or C++)
        >converter.  We have some application on the Host in PL/I that need to be
        >re-hosted in a Unix environment.  Any assistance would be helpful.

---Wouldn't it be a mite easier to get a PL/I compiler for your
Unix system?

   Liant Software Corporation offer PL/I (called Open PL/I)
on a variety of Unix systems, including (this list is not
exhaustive):

* HP 9000 HP-UX
* SPARC SunOS 4.x and Solaris 2.x
* Intel 80386, 80486, Pentium (Unix SVR3 and SVR4)
* RS/6000 AIX

Then there's DEC's RISC ULTRIX.

Liant's address is:

959 Concord Street,
Framinghm, MA 01701.

http://www.liant.com/

   C in no way approaches the functionality of PL/I.

Wed, 08 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to C (or C++) conversion utility???

Quote:
>Hi,
>   Does anyone know of a company that produces a PL/I to C (or C++)
>converter.  We have some application on the Host in PL/I that need to be
>re-hosted in a Unix environment.  Any assistance would be helpful.

>Regards,
>Bob Sanders

Bob
May be it helps you to know that it is possible to call C-written modules from PL/1 applications. I've seen that on MVS platforms but I suggest it'll work on UNIX as well.

Rainer Leicht
NCR Switzerland, PS SIC

Phone:  ++41 1 832 75 64
Fax:    ++41 1 830 28 68

Mon, 13 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. Seeking C->PL/1 utility

3. PL/1 to C source code conversion -- OR -- link IBM PL/1 for PC to Visual C++ 1.52 program

4. PL/1 Utilities...

5. Camp Smalltalk (CS 6) registration

6. APL as First Language for CS

7. SoftEng or CS Graduate Program Search

8. Test and Set (TS) vs Compare and Swap (CS)

9. Refactored Plus All Missing CS ANSI Tests In SIF

10. Camp Smalltalk (CS 6) registration

11. vwnc@cs.uiuc.edu