Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)
Author Message
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>At a PPOE we 'tried out' the Itel 3330-look-alikes

Mommy, make it go away!

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:20:10 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>Other OSes have these things called defaults and file systems,

So what else is new? So does MVS.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:15:30 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)
[snip]

Quote:
> [Thread drift: remember when SYS/360 was `Open Source'?])
> Long story shorter:  One day the operators called in to the
> Systems Programming Cube Farm to report that the system was
> slowing down.  Smug know-it-alls that we were: "Ya, sure."
> I went in and walked up to the 1052 and entered "DA".  It took
> about 5 seconds before the first line of reply appeared!
> Hmmmm!!
> I scratched my head -- watched the blinken lights on the CPU
> console -- then I scratched somewhere else -- and,
> unbelievingly, I tried DA again.
> This time it took 9 seconds for the first line appeared!!
> I turned around and absently stared out into the computer room --
> trying to construct some scenario on how this could be.
> My diffused focus fell on the string of Itel drives (they
> were single cabinet style -- ala the old 2311's.) and I noticed
> that I could  a l m o s t  read the manufacture's label on
> SYSIPL.    !!!!!!!???????   The drive used a big wide, motor-driven
> belt to power the disk spindle.  And, sure enough, opening
> the front 'modesty' panel on the drive revealed that the belt
> had been thrown.  When I first saw it spinning down, SYSIPL was
> running at about 60-100 RPM.  It was running at about 30 RPM
> by the time we managed to semi-gracefully get everything shut
> down.  Yes, we knew that, from about 2000 RPM and on down, the
> R/W heads were in full contact with the surface of the platters.
> It was the `softest` head crash I ever saw.

Similar story:  Working one evening with a "ruggedized" version
of these drives, it was noticed that it was taking longer and
longer and longer for disk accesses.  Eventually opened the
drive housing and discovered hydraulic fluid all over the base
of the unit.  The head-positioning mechanism had blown a seal.
It can be mind-boggling when repeatable digital systems don't.

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:48:26 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>As originally shipped, you needed to boot a "Compatibility
>Initialization Deck", which was shipped as part of the hardware
>feature.

The CID was a S/360 program. A lot od the processing was done with an
instruction called Do Interpretive Loop (DIL), which interpreted 1401
instructions until it hit something it couldn't handle or there was a
pending interrupt. There were GA manuals for all of the compatibility
features that described the DIL instructions and what not. The
additional data paths, however, were only documented in CE manuals.

Quote:
>  So the appearance, at least, was that it ran with no 360 program.

Pressing the LOAD button had the appearance of loading a S/360
program, so it wasn't very well hidden.

Note: starting with the 360/85, the compatibility features were
designed to not interfere with the operating systems.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:12:07 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>As far as I know, the spacing between the hammers is different than
>the spacing between characters on the chain/train so that no pattern
>fires all at the same time.

Firing every third hammer at intervals of 11.5 microseconds was good
enough to make an interesting sound and thoroughly disrupt the
operation of the original 1403. I don't know whether the same thing
was possible on later models.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:04:56 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>BTW, while I'm here, I'll report that a copy of HASP 4.0 has turned
>up,

<pedant>
I doubt it.
</pedant>

I might believe HASP II 4.0; does anyone have HASP II 3 or 4.1?

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:01:54 GMT
 Card Columns (was Why did they make ... ?)

Quote:
>The hammers didn't fire simultaneously, but
>very nearly so, only 5 microseconds between successive firings. For
>all practical purposes, it close enough to slam the chain or train
>pretty hard, and would slow it down.

Even on the 1401, where it was every 11.5 microseconds instead of
every 5 microseconds, it was hard enough to hit the chain pretty hard,
and I heard stories of them breaking under the abuse. I can testify
from personal appearance that every line looked different, and the
sound was quite jarring.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:30:09 GMT

 [ 373 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25]