360/370 disk drives
Author Message
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:

> That was certainly in the format of userid's at our site.
> I was bldfe2(b344736). Don't recall my phone number... I had
> so many in those days. Did you know Jeff Hill?

... yes .... except he had non-standard userid on bldfe2 ...  aka
jeffhill at bldfe2 ... bldfe2(jeffhill); at the time tie 347-2352.

also lee stewart, lou saylor.

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler | http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lynn/
Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lynn/rfcietff.htm

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:21:42 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

and for even more topic drift ... i'm in boulder monday morning to
attend talk at univ. of col.

Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:26:41 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:
> and for even more topic drift ...

and in two weeks i'm having dinner with somebody who was hyperchannel
engineer that i worked with way back then.

--

Internet trivia, 20th anniv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:21:16 GMT
 360/370 disk drives
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:50:41 -0700, "Russ Holsclaw"

Quote:

>> I'll look it up and tell you later.

>Found it.... 140 bytes. 44 for the key, 96 for the data.

>Somewhere around the house, I have an old plastic overlay that
>you could
>use to interpret a VTOC printout, to be used in the early days
>when the
>IEHLIST program would print DSCB's in hex.  How far we've come,
>eh?

This was DOS(/VSE) and IIRC we used DITTO VTOC or L(IST)VTOC.
DITTO was a PIP-like generic file copy, delete, print, list, dump
utility on some IBM OSes.

Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis         Calgary, Alberta, Canada
--

    fake address                use address above to reply

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:41:00 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/20003.html#45 IBM's Workplace OS (Was: .. Pink)

oops, typoe

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#45 IBM's Workplace OS (Was: .. Pink)

Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:01:08 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:

>Found it.... 140 bytes. 44 for the key, 96 for the data.
>Somewhere around the house, I have an old plastic overlay that you
>could use to interpret a VTOC printout, to be used in the early days
>when the IEHLIST program would print DSCB's in hex.

There were two or three different versions of the VTOC overlay, which
were part of every sysprog's toolkit until the availability of a
formatted listing.  I was told that the overlay was the brainchild
of an FE, who supposedly got a large award for it.

I'm sure that all of the old-timer OS/360 sysprogs here have memories
-- not necessarily fond ones -- of punching a DD card with a DSNAME of
44, hex 04 characters when using the early versions of SUPERZAP.  It wasn't
until several years after its initial release (as a PTF!) that a new
version came out which recognized the pseudo-DSNAME of "FORMAT4.DSBC".

For non-OS/360 readers: on a disk volume the VTOC (Volume Table of Contents)
had an entry for itself, in a form consistent with a name of 44, hex '04'
characters.  Providing a DD card pointing to the VTOC allowed SUPERZAP
to be used to patch the VTOC.

Joe Morris

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:56:26 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:
>I'm sure that all of the old-timer OS/360 sysprogs here have memories
>-- not necessarily fond ones -- of punching a DD card with a DSNAME of
>44, hex 04 characters when using the early versions of SUPERZAP.  It wasn't
>until several years after its initial release (as a PTF!) that a new
>version came out which recognized the pseudo-DSNAME of "FORMAT4.DSBC".

I bow to your superior old-timerness...that, fortunately, is one thing I
never got to enjoy.

BTW, while I'm here, I'll report that a copy of HASP 4.0 has turned up, as
well as a new set of OS/360 DLIBs (including an ACDS, supposedly, as well as
SYS1.FORTLIB, missing from Rick Fochtman's archive). I'll read the latter
tape later today, if all goes well.

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:05:18 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:
>It was termed a
>Multi-Function Card Machine, or MFCM, affectionately known to CE's
>(out of customers' earshot) as a Mother-F***ing
>Card-Mulcher.

And what did you think customers called Mother Fletcher when out of
earshot of IBM employees?

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:16:48 GMT
 360/370 disk drives

Quote:
>You clipped that line.   The VALUE OF ID "XXXYYZ" identified the the
>file.   No JCL needed.

No, what is sounds like is that the JCL was built into the program and
you had to recompile every time it changed.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:04:33 GMT

 [ 373 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25]