Year 2000 PL/I Compiler
Author Message
 Year 2000 PL/I Compiler

   It seems that PL/I for OS/2 and PL/I for Windows NT are the first
of IBM's compilers to have Year 2000 facilities specifically dealing
with 2-digit years, and to handle automatically 100-year
"windowing".

   The schedule for implementing these new features shows that the
above-mentioned compilers are to be available in October 1997,
even ahead of mainframe COBOL and mainframe PL/I.  These compilers are
to receive the enhancements in the first half of 1998.

   The additions include new attributes:

   DECLARE TODAYS_DATE CHAR(6) DATE ('YYMMDD');

   DECLARE ANOTHER_DATE CHAR(6) DATE ('YYMMDD');

which, when compiled, allow comparisons of dates in IF statements
to treat dates above 99 as 2099 instead of above 1999.
I.e., the date 97 (which means 1997) ranks less than the date 01
(which represents 2001).

   Thus, for certain classes of program, it's possible to make it
year 2000 ready by altering declarations, and without altering
the logic of the program.  And without altering files.

   In the document http://www.*-*-*.com/
it's not explained how to specify the window, but my guess is that
it might be via a compile-time option as is proposed with the
COBOL version.

   Suggest reading the above-mentioned web page (which is 8 pages
long).

Tue, 18 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/1 and testing mainframes past year 2000

2. Wanted - Year 2000 Project Needs PL/1 Programmers

3. Year 2000 Conversion tool for PL/I

4. US/TX PL/1 Programmer/Analysts Year 2000 Conversion Project

5. PL/I compiler for win 98 or Windows 2000

6. Is year 2000 a leap year??

7. Extensive cobol year 2000 methodology by TOPIC-2000

8. Cobol year 2000 solutions by TOPIC 2000

9. PL/I 34 years old this year.

10. Year 2000 Newsgroup

11. OS/390 Release 2 Year 2000 discussion