freeware PL/1? 
Author Message
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> Just one remark to the downloadable PL/I for DOS:
> The DR PL/I which must be run under a Z80 / CPM-80
> emulation is a very limited, but relatively powerful subset.
> (close to the SUBSET G specifications)
> Unfortunately almost all examples must be modified
> when porting them to VA PL/I for Windows+OS2.

The DOS version is native for the 8088 and successor
processors.  It is not an emulation.

There is also a version for CP/M.

Quote:
> g rgds
> Markus Loew



Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
I looked for it, but I did not find it...
can you help me ???

Is it possible, that it is PL1-86 on the page
http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~cfs/cpm/binary.html ?
will it run under DOS inspite of the the fact that it
should be for CP/M-86 ? Do I have to use the
CP/M-86 Emulator?
--------------------------------------------------
PL/I-86 : 192K Here is the PL/I compiler for CP/M-86.
--------------------------------------------------

Robin schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:

>> Just one remark to the downloadable PL/I for DOS:
>> The DR PL/I which must be run under a Z80 / CPM-80
>> emulation is a very limited, but relatively powerful subset.
>> (close to the SUBSET G specifications)
>> Unfortunately almost all examples must be modified
>> when porting them to VA PL/I for Windows+OS2.

>The DOS version is native for the 8088 and successor
>processors.  It is not an emulation.

>There is also a version for CP/M.

>> g rgds
>> Markus Loew



Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> I looked for it, but I did not find it...
> can you help me ???

If you find the reference in:
   http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/resource.htm

and follow the instructions there, you will get to the
DOS version.

Quote:
> Is it possible, that it is PL1-86 on the page
> http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~cfs/cpm/binary.html ?
> will it run under DOS inspite of the the fact that it
> should be for CP/M-86 ? Do I have to use the
> CP/M-86 Emulator?

NO.  There is a DOS version.


Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
Thank you for your answer, but I think this is my problem :
------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:

>Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
>To obtain a link to it, visit:

>http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/resource.htm

The DRI Dos languages seem to have disappeared from the site. Only
CPM variants are available.

Dave Beck

------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>
robin schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:

>> I looked for it, but I did not find it...
>> can you help me ???

>If you find the reference in:
>   http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/resource.htm

>and follow the instructions there, you will get to the
>DOS version.

>> Is it possible, that it is PL1-86 on the page
>> http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~cfs/cpm/binary.html ?
>> will it run under DOS inspite of the the fact that it
>> should be for CP/M-86 ? Do I have to use the
>> CP/M-86 Emulator?

>NO.  There is a DOS version.



Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----


Quote:

>The DOS version is native for the 8088 and successor
>processors.  It is not an emulation.

....And runs under a remarkably useless operating system.

Quote:
>There is also a version for CP/M.

Ooooo...  That's useful.

I proposed an effort to create a PL/I front end for GCC
a few months ago, and got largely shot down because ``PL/I
is too complicated....''  Uhh, yeah right.

Needless to say, I lost interest in PL/I after that.

        - Dan C.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBOMlTkYshWrlwdTE9AQGVRgQAoBbIIqWBqgnhsQEHfNcIF8Jcx7N5saNn
9VFsHJen4rzuvR6V4qdCMcgG1ajGEVYE5OgfzQsZPvvMocbk4Y73hxHti0aVwgP6
3k3u39dMBy5wI4WjgBQVIGvPOz4EkNVnAUtv0kNkB5RohGE05dP0Bble7ZzNPSSn
6YyZs0fkXcA=
=6nMP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----



> >The DOS version is native for the 8088 and successor
> >processors.  It is not an emulation.

> ....And runs under a remarkably useless operating system.

> >There is also a version for CP/M.

> Ooooo...  That's useful.

> I proposed an effort to create a PL/I front end for GCC
> a few months ago, and got largely shot down because ``PL/I
> is too complicated....''  Uhh, yeah right.

> Needless to say, I lost interest in PL/I after that.

>         - Dan C.

Having involved with a commercial implementation
of PL/I - I can say it isn't the easiest language in the
world to implement.

But - everything is pretty well defined in the standard - it
would simply be a matter of tackling each issue one at
a time.

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com



Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?


Quote:
>> I proposed an effort to create a PL/I front end for GCC
>> a few months ago, and got largely shot down because ``PL/I
>> is too complicated....''  Uhh, yeah right.

>> Needless to say, I lost interest in PL/I after that.

>Having involved with a commercial implementation
>of PL/I - I can say it isn't the easiest language in the
>world to implement.

>But - everything is pretty well defined in the standard - it
>would simply be a matter of tackling each issue one at
>a time.

That's what I thought and said.  Others seemed to
believe that it just wouldn't be possible for GCC
to support PL/I effectively due to it's breadth of
supported data types.  Personally, I think those
statements just came from elitist propaganda....  :-)

Folks, this language isn't that new, and isn't all
that advanced.  Just write a compiler front end that
generates RTL, plug it into the gcc backend, and
provide a set of libraries for the runtime.  Then be
happy.

        - Dan C.



Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
If you are located in US or Canada you can get VA Personal
PL/I for Windows and OS2 for less than 200$. And its real
fun to use it. I am a very experienced programmer and I have
worked on mainframes with PL/I. Practically all, including the
most sophisticated features are supported by VA PL/I.

b rgds Markus Loew



Quote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----



> >The DOS version is native for the 8088 and successor
> >processors.  It is not an emulation.

> ....And runs under a remarkably useless operating system.

> >There is also a version for CP/M.

> Ooooo...  That's useful.

> I proposed an effort to create a PL/I front end for GCC
> a few months ago, and got largely shot down because ``PL/I
> is too complicated....''  Uhh, yeah right.

> Needless to say, I lost interest in PL/I after that.

> - Dan C.

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: 2.6.2

> iQCVAwUBOMlTkYshWrlwdTE9AQGVRgQAoBbIIqWBqgnhsQEHfNcIF8Jcx7N5saNn
> 9VFsHJen4rzuvR6V4qdCMcgG1ajGEVYE5OgfzQsZPvvMocbk4Y73hxHti0aVwgP6
> 3k3u39dMBy5wI4WjgBQVIGvPOz4EkNVnAUtv0kNkB5RohGE05dP0Bble7ZzNPSSn
> 6YyZs0fkXcA=
> =6nMP
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:



>>> I proposed an effort to create a PL/I front end for GCC
>>> a few months ago, and got largely shot down because ``PL/I
>>> is too complicated....''  Uhh, yeah right.
>>> Needless to say, I lost interest in PL/I after that.

>>Having involved with a commercial implementation
>>of PL/I - I can say it isn't the easiest language in the
>>world to implement.
>>But - everything is pretty well defined in the standard - it
>>would simply be a matter of tackling each issue one at
>>a time.

>That's what I thought and said.  Others seemed to
>believe that it just wouldn't be possible for GCC
>to support PL/I effectively due to it's breadth of
>supported data types.  Personally, I think those
>statements just came from elitist propaganda....  :-)

>Folks, this language isn't that new, and isn't all
>that advanced.  Just write a compiler front end that
>generates RTL, plug it into the gcc backend, and
>provide a set of libraries for the runtime.  Then be
>happy.

Well, here's one person who would endorse (and eventually, when my
programming skills are better, perhaps even to help) any effort to create a
worthy PL/I compiler that would be the match of any of its class for the
other programming languages of note (C/C++, Ada, Pascal, etc.).  Certainly,
the route described ought to be feasible.

Also, I'm told that soon (from my contacts, it was supposed to be this week
or next) a new updated Personal PL/I product will be available (alas, only
in the USA) that will, among other things, include the Win32 headers...
--
"I run to Death, and Death meets me as fast, and all my pleasures are as
yesterday" - John Donne
"Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue." -
Psalm 120, 2.
To reply, remove MARCHE anti-spam device from E-address



Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----


Quote:

>If you are located in US or Canada you can get VA Personal
>PL/I for Windows and OS2 for less than 200$. And its real
>fun to use it. I am a very experienced programmer and I have
>worked on mainframes with PL/I. Practically all, including the
>most sophisticated features are supported by VA PL/I.

Thanks for the suggestion, but a) it's not free (see
the Subject: header), and b) I run FreeBSD.  :-)

        - Dan C.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBOMmaMYshWrlwdTE9AQEyLQP/VhSRTxqGVzAAG6uoBXO0fRjSk/WECrej
S7EoqJH751wmhcefkCYyt23DAbJNdQMz0jHVPxhCDC+e2ICVC2JcAckUzsD1WasA
AisyFTjeHQcaxxIP2RxuH2LQKuP8CSu6kI6nnTJofPjZbtdwN9Ok8/iAQvXiOPyF
df9ewy+85dQ=
=+8Lr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 freeware PL/1?
Sorry...
I just read the words "got largely shot down because..."
but I did not realize  ... GCC.
When I programmed PL/I in the early seventies, I ordered the
complete compiler logic and runtime logic documentation.
And they said, that it took about 200 man years of
development effort.
PL/I is still the richest compiler for 3GL. But it can hardly
compete with the new OOP technologies, where the
rich, and permanently growing class libraries make
available the basics for RAD.
Coming back to PL/I, it is still a suitable and competitive tool
if you need to create applications without any hidden code
and blackboxes. And you need it to port PL/I applications
from one system to a different one. PL/I is good for
transparency and security of your code.
Fortunately the modern compiler building tools will reduce
the effort of creating a  PL/I compiler. But I think there
must be at least 20 experienced engineers working and
testing for up to two years to create an almost VA PL/I
compatible compiler (full time job, beta version of course).
Are there people who will find it a challenge to participate at such
a project ???
Anyhow, for people who need it for professional reasons on
BCD, they will have the budget for VA Personal PL/I. Hopefully
(I do not know BCD very well, but I heared that there are
WINDOWS emulators under LINUX), there will be a WINDOWS
emulator under BCD, and then it could work...

b rgds
Markus Loew



Quote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----



> >If you are located in US or Canada you can get VA Personal
> >PL/I for Windows and OS2 for less than 200$. And its real
> >fun to use it. I am a very experienced programmer and I have
> >worked on mainframes with PL/I. Practically all, including the
> >most sophisticated features are supported by VA PL/I.

> Thanks for the suggestion, but a) it's not free (see
> the Subject: header), and b) I run FreeBSD.  :-)

> - Dan C.

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: 2.6.2

> iQCVAwUBOMmaMYshWrlwdTE9AQEyLQP/VhSRTxqGVzAAG6uoBXO0fRjSk/WECrej
> S7EoqJH751wmhcefkCYyt23DAbJNdQMz0jHVPxhCDC+e2ICVC2JcAckUzsD1WasA
> AisyFTjeHQcaxxIP2RxuH2LQKuP8CSu6kI6nnTJofPjZbtdwN9Ok8/iAQvXiOPyF
> df9ewy+85dQ=
> =+8Lr
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. freeware PL/I?

2. freeware PL/1?

3. FREEWARE: Dalby Source Printer for Clarion is now freeware

4. Freeware announcement: Dalby Source Printer released as freeware

5. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

6. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

7. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

8. Difference PL/1 PL/I

9. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

10. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

11. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

12. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software