pl1 to cobol converter
Author Message
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

>Hello,

>Has anybody a reference to a PL1 to Cobol converter?

>CICS/VSAM support is needed.

Er, PL/I has CICS/VSAM support.

And given my recent sparring matches with COBOL grammar, I suspect none but
the very simplest PL/I program would translate to readable COBOL (if that's
not an oxymoron).

Bernie

PS. Some more background/context for your problem would prevent the kind of
snide remarks made by the gentleman above.

--

Ontario DX Association    ===> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~odxa
Tsuruoka Canadian Budokai ===> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~brat/tcb

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:
>Has anybody a reference to a PL1 to Cobol converter?

Why go from the sublime to the ridiculous?

Bill Rowe

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Hello,

Has anybody a reference to a PL1 to Cobol converter?

CICS/VSAM support is needed.

Thanks in Advance,
Elfie

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

>Hello,
>Has anybody a reference to a PL1 to Cobol converter?
>CICS/VSAM support is needed.

Tall order...   You can do things in PL/1 that can't be done in C*B*L
in hundreds (maybe thousands) of lines of COBOL.  I'm thinking of
isub-defined arrays, bit-level manipulations and 'storage control'
which may not be handle-able in C*B*L at all.  Scenarios exist within
PL/1 programs which make your request _at_least_ impractical and
_potentially_ impossible.

PL/1 to C*B*L is a giant step backward.  Re-think it.

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(Remove the currency symbol before replying.)

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

        >Hello,
        >Has anybody a reference to a PL1 to Cobol converter?
        >CICS/VSAM support is needed.

        >Thanks in Advance,
        >Elfie

PL/I _has_ full CICS/VSAM support.  It will do everything
COBOL can do, and lots more.  And it does it better!

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:
> PL/I _has_ full CICS/VSAM support.  It will do everything
> COBOL can do, and lots more.  And it does it better!

Almost... I miss 88 levels

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

> Almost... I miss 88 levels

The current OS/2 PL/I includes enumerations.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

>> Almost... I miss 88 levels
>The current OS/2 PL/I includes enumerations.

CICS runs on OS/2 ???    Where can I get a copy ?

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(Remove the currency symbol before replying.)

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

On Friday, 97/11/07, Frank Clarke wrote to All about "pl1 to cobol converte"
as follows:

FC> >> Almost... I miss 88 levels
FC>
FC> >The current OS/2 PL/I includes enumerations.
FC>
FC>
FC> CICS runs on OS/2 ???    Where can I get a copy ?

Yes, CICS/2 costs about US$600 for a single user license. [That was last
time I looked, circa 1995.] You can get a copy from Indelible Blue, or any of
the other OS/2 mail order places. Or you can pay full price from IBM.

PL/I for OS/2 Professional Edition has the command level preprocessor
built-in (no macro level support). You cannot use Personal Edition, though.
This was one of the distinctions between Personal and Professional.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

 * KWQ/2 1.2i * We may be lost, but we're sure making good time.
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

Wed, 26 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

> CICS runs on OS/2 ???    Where can I get a copy ?

To the best of my knowledge CICS/2 was bundled into Communications
Server/2 but can still be ordered separately. My guess is that Indelible
Blue would be your best source.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

> >> Almost... I miss 88 levels

> >The current OS/2 PL/I includes enumerations.

> CICS runs on OS/2 ???    Where can I get a copy ?

Yup, it's only about $1999 per copy... :)

Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

> Tall order...   You can do things in PL/1 that can't be done in C*B*L
> in hundreds (maybe thousands) of lines of COBOL.  I'm thinking of
> isub-defined arrays, bit-level manipulations and 'storage control'
> which may not be handle-able in C*B*L at all.  Scenarios exist within
> PL/1 programs which make your request _at_least_ impractical and
> _potentially_ impossible.

> PL/1 to C*B*L is a giant step backward.  Re-think it.

Umm, COBOL does support bit manipulation and storage control in
COBOL II and handles arrays up to 16mb.

Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pl1 to cobol converter

Quote:

> > Almost... I miss 88 levels

> The current OS/2 PL/I includes enumerations.

Ah, yes, those 88-level fields where you can never really quite
tell which value will make your condition "true" or "false"
without flipping/scrolling to the top of working-storage...

Oh yes, give me more of that..

Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Request: Converter PL1 -> C

2. PL1 to C Converter?

3. fortran to pl1 converter ....

4. SUMMARY: Fortran to pl1 converter

5. PL1 for Linux / PL1 for Win95?

6. wanted: PL1 to C xlator or PL1 BNF

7. *****PL1 WITH COBOL NEEDED IN CHICAGO FT*****

8. Cobol calling PL1

9. CICS/COBOL/PL1/DB2/Y2K positions in NY,NJ

10. UK NORTH WEST - PL1/COBOL VACANCIES

11. PL1, CICS. DB2/COBOL, ANALYST/PROGRAMMER/WILTS

12. ** DB2, CICS, IBM, COBOL, PL1 Positions Avialable