Source code checker?
Author Message
 Source code checker?

Has anyone seen/developed a program that will parse PL/1 or fortran code and
identify unused variables and/or inaccessible code?

I thought about doing this, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if I
don't have to.

Public domain code would be best, but paid software is ok.

I'm looking for IBM mainframe code.

Thanks,
Dave

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 00:14:00 GMT
 Source code checker?

Quote:

> Has anyone seen/developed a program that will parse PL/1 or FORTRAN code and
> identify unused variables and/or inaccessible code?

The PL/I compiler should do that by itself.  I'm not sure about FORTRAN.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly;

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:46:12 GMT
 Source code checker?

Quote:

>Has anyone seen/developed a program that will parse PL/1 or FORTRAN code and
>identify unused variables and/or inaccessible code?

>I thought about doing this, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if I
>don't have to.

>Public domain code would be best, but paid software is ok.

>I'm looking for IBM mainframe code.

I do this with an ISPF Edit macro against the compiler listing.   At
the same time it marks all labels and procedure-entries with the
statement #s from which they are referenced and marks all GOTOs and
CALLs with the location of the label they reference.   Drop me a line.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:42:49 GMT
 Source code checker?

Hi

I am right now building a PL/I compiler for the NT platform.

One of the things that I can (and do) detect is unreferenced variables.

For example I wont allocate storage for unreferenced data (be it static or stack). This is also done for structures if
no reference exists to any members or level 1 name, unreferenced constants can also be eliminated.

However the compiler wont issue a warning about a variable being unreferenced if that variable was declared in an
include file (but it still wont allocate storage).

The inaccesible code requires deeper analysis, usually performed during optimization (well, it is a form of
optimization).

The system isnt ready for beta testing yet, so I cant provide anything useful right now.

Because I am in complete control of this work I can install all sorts of interesting features, for example there is a
compiler option to tolerate nested comments, this is ideal when you need to temporarily comment out a section of code
that may itself contain comments.

The compiler was originally a working (but primitive) subset of ANSI-87 and ran on DOS.

It created linkable objects that ran fine.

I have spent past month or so ripping out old 16 bit related code.

Right now I am finishing part of the back end and now have a 90% complete fast table driven code emitter for Pentium
family instructions, this is much more powerful than before and is fast, reliable and much more compact code too.

I have also got a 75% complete MS COFF object file generator working too.

Once the Pentium machine code generator is finished (a week or so) I will roll up my sleeves and upgrade the code
generator, I actually think this will be less work that I originally thought, but its still going to be a month or so
before I get a runnable system that can generate linkable OBJ files.

Please e-mail me if you are interested in any of this, I'd be delighted to include you in a mailing list that I want to
setup once I have the system running again.

Quote:

>Has anyone seen/developed a program that will parse PL/1 or FORTRAN code and
>identify unused variables and/or inaccessible code?

>I thought about doing this, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if I
>don't have to.

>Public domain code would be best, but paid software is ok.

>I'm looking for IBM mainframe code.

>Thanks,
>Dave

Hugh Gleaves
Philadelphia
USA

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:45:17 GMT
 Source code checker?
You can take a look at my tools page:\
  http://home.nycap.rr.com/pflass/candt.htm

I think the "Raincode" tools I point to, and possibly others, do this
sort of thing, but not cheaply...

Quote:

> >Has anyone seen/developed a program that will parse PL/1 or FORTRAN code and
> >identify unused variables and/or inaccessible code?

> >I thought about doing this, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if I
> >don't have to.

> >Public domain code would be best, but paid software is ok.

> >I'm looking for IBM mainframe code.

> I do this with an ISPF Edit macro against the compiler listing.   At
> the same time it marks all labels and procedure-entries with the
> statement #s from which they are referenced and marks all GOTOs and
> CALLs with the location of the label they reference.   Drop me a line.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:13:35 GMT

1. source code checker

2. source code quality checker ?

3. Checker for synthesizeable Verilog source code

4. I need 10*10 Checkers game source code in prolog

5. WANTED : Prolog source code for draughts/checkers game

6. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

7. Converting FORTRAN source code to C source code

8. Floppy - Fortran Coding Convention Checker and Code Tidier

9. Help!: Checkers source needed

10. Wanted: Information on FORTRAN source checkers

11. The source and the sink different type with its source code

12. Find Forth source (was: 8031 Forth Source Code Needed)