User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks
Author Message
 User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

Back in September, Jay McInvale filed a complaint about Personal PL/I
having a memory leak with his neural network application.
"Subject: PL/I Memory Leak in Windows XP"

<snip all except last paragraph >

Quote:
> Does anyone have any ideas??? Unless I find cause of the problem
and/or
> a way around it, I am going to have to learn C++!!!!  I know
fortran, but
> have no compiler for it. Is there a Fortran compiler that implements
PL/I
> like POINTERs (and can allocate storage for dynamically created
> linked-lists) and has the pre-processor macro facility like PL/I

does?

Speaking about CVF (the most widely used) Fortran for Windows, not
only does it have PL/I-like (cray) pointers, but its normal pointers
carry data type info along with them for safer/optimizable
performance.

I have shown several examples in this newsgroup how Fortran can return
allocatable arrays, that remain untranslated by the local gurus here
using Personal PL/I ..

Yes it comes with a Fortran Pre-Processor (FPP) utility that has same
capabilities of C'S CPP utility which you can use interchangeably.

I remembered someone asked for help with a "neural" app and when I
programmed a neural benchmark app last week, I dug up your message
and this is my belated response..

Below includes my NEURAL subroutine +test program +5 test patterns
used in producing its outputs (shown)..

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

I'm confident my NEURAL subroutine doesn't cause memory leaks with my
app running under Windows XP (it doesnt use the "allocate" statement)
and that the test exec could be adapted to process one of your
network's
cases. Post or send me your TEST.PAT file if you want me to "run it
thru"
my routine.

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:47:00 GMT
 User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks
Thanks for your post. The PL/I neural network that had the memory leak was
designed to play the board game Checkers. Just to calculate its single best
move required millions of floating point operations. After extensive testing
to determine the cause of the memory leak, I found that a small fraction of
those floating point operations were raising the UNDERFLOW condition which
invoked my "ON UNDERFLOW" error unit. It turned out that each invocation of
that error handling block required a small amount of memory which was
allocated but never released. With enough invocations, the memory
requirements became quite huge. It turned out that there was a stupid bug in
the program that caused the UNDERFLOW conditions in the first place. Now
that the bug is fixed, the program no longer contains the ON UNDERFLOW error
unit and the condition is no longer raised.

I allowed the program to evolve to the point that it played a pretty good
beginning game and middle game, but its end gamed sucked. Continued
evolution to the point the program had a good end game could have required
100% of my computer for several months. I had achieved my purpose
(intellectual exercise of creating a neural network that could play
checkers) and decided not to continue the program's evolution because I need
my computer for other things.

Quote:
> Back in September, Jay McInvale filed a complaint about Personal PL/I
> having a memory leak with his neural network application.
> "Subject: PL/I Memory Leak in Windows XP"

> <snip all except last paragraph >

> > Does anyone have any ideas??? Unless I find cause of the problem
> and/or
> > a way around it, I am going to have to learn C++!!!!  I know
> Fortran, but
> > have no compiler for it. Is there a Fortran compiler that implements
> PL/I
> > like POINTERs (and can allocate storage for dynamically created
> > linked-lists) and has the pre-processor macro facility like PL/I
> does?

> Speaking about CVF (the most widely used) Fortran for Windows, not
> only does it have PL/I-like (cray) pointers, but its normal pointers
> carry data type info along with them for safer/optimizable
> performance.

> I have shown several examples in this newsgroup how Fortran can return
> allocatable arrays, that remain untranslated by the local gurus here
> using Personal PL/I ..

> Yes it comes with a Fortran Pre-Processor (FPP) utility that has same
> capabilities of C'S CPP utility which you can use interchangeably.

> I remembered someone asked for help with a "neural" app and when I
> programmed a neural benchmark app last week, I dug up your message
> and this is my belated response..

> Below includes my NEURAL subroutine +test program +5 test patterns
> used in producing its outputs (shown)..

>    http://home.cfl.rr.com/davegemini/test_nn.f90

> I'm confident my NEURAL subroutine doesn't cause memory leaks with my
> app running under Windows XP (it doesnt use the "allocate" statement)
> and that the test exec could be adapted to process one of your
> network's
> cases. Post or send me your TEST.PAT file if you want me to "run it
> thru"
> my routine.

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:23:39 GMT
 User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

Quote:
> Thanks for your post. The PL/I neural network that had the memory
leak was
> designed to play the board game Checkers.

   < skip description of Personal PL/I leak problems >

Quote:
> I allowed the program to evolve to the point that it played a pretty
good
> beginning game and middle game, but its end gamed sucked. Continued
> evolution to the point the program had a good end game could have
required
> 100% of my computer for several months. I had achieved my purpose
> (intellectual exercise of creating a neural network that could play
> checkers) and decided not to continue the program's evolution
because I need
> my computer for other things.

Jay,
Thanks for the update on what you were doing..
How about educating PLI'ers by translating my short Neural benchmark
Personal PL/I and send me your test_nn.exe to run on my PC?
Those with Personal PL/I could compile it from your source..

As a neural-knowledgeable programmer you obviously understand the
matrix operations being performed.
If you feel its too complex for Personal PL/I capabilities, pls
enumerate some of the difficulties you face in translation.

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:01:00 GMT

1. Expert Systems, AI, Neural Networks User Lists

2. Compiling DR PL/I code with IBM Personal PL/I

3. memory leak and leak-fixing 'patterns'

4. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

5. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

6. Neural Networks anyone?

7. neural networks

8. paper on J and neural networks

9. Neural Network

10. Neural Networks

11. Free Artificial Intelligence Neural Network Library!

12. Ref: Free Artificial Intelligence Neural Network Library!