Question re PL/I program as a web page
Author Message
 Question re PL/I program as a web page

I have been a mainframe PL/I programmer for 20 years. I just purchased
Personal PL/I a few days ago. I desire to replace some rather large ASP web
pages with a PL/I .exe but I need to know whether it can be done, and if so,
how? For example, how does the PL/I program receive HTTP variables, and then
write HTML back out to the client? I know I can call the PL/I .exe program
from an ASP page and then use the ASP page to Response.Write whatever file
the PL/I program created that contains the HTML. But this seems awkward and
inefficient. What is the best way to use a PL/I .exe as a web page?

Thanks in advance.

--
Jay McInvale

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:27:38 GMT
 Question re PL/I program as a web page
This is an interesting question.

ASP implies you are using MS IIS as the web server.

To get programmatic access from ASP source code, I would certainly approach it as follows:

1) Design and code the PL/I procedures that you need to invoke.
2) Create some VB classes with member functions that map to the PLI ones.
3) Invoke the PLI entry points from within the VB functions and return the result from the VB components to ASP.

VB can easily interact with ASP objects like session, response etc etc and generate output to the page.

VB .Net goes far beyond this and is much easier and more powerful is this an option for you?

I know nothing of the Personal PL/I implementation, does it allow easy invocation of entry points from MS languages?

You could no doubt create C wrappers functions that invoke the PLI functions, invoking C functions from VB is easy and
well documented, so long as the compiler can create DLL's it should be feasible.

I assume that Persoanl PLI uses the same calling convention as C on windows so far as arg pushing onto stack and arg
popping (stack restoration) upon return.

There is no need to use files to communicate between PLI and ASP, its really just a matter of interfacing between ASP
(Which is VB in fact) and PLI entry points.

Rgds
Hugh

Quote:

>I have been a mainframe PL/I programmer for 20 years. I just purchased
>Personal PL/I a few days ago. I desire to replace some rather large ASP web
>pages with a PL/I .exe but I need to know whether it can be done, and if so,
>how? For example, how does the PL/I program receive HTTP variables, and then
>write HTML back out to the client? I know I can call the PL/I .exe program
>from an ASP page and then use the ASP page to Response.Write whatever file
>the PL/I program created that contains the HTML. But this seems awkward and
>inefficient. What is the best way to use a PL/I .exe as a web page?

>Thanks in advance.

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:36:10 GMT
 Question re PL/I program as a web page
You could certainly replace this with PL/I CGI code, if that will
provide the functionality you need.  There has been quite a lot of
material on this published on the web.  If you're interested I could
probably dig up the URLs for you.
Quote:

> I have been a mainframe PL/I programmer for 20 years. I just purchased
> Personal PL/I a few days ago. I desire to replace some rather large ASP web
> pages with a PL/I .exe but I need to know whether it can be done, and if so,
> how? For example, how does the PL/I program receive HTTP variables, and then
> write HTML back out to the client? I know I can call the PL/I .exe program
> from an ASP page and then use the ASP page to Response.Write whatever file
> the PL/I program created that contains the HTML. But this seems awkward and
> inefficient. What is the best way to use a PL/I .exe as a web page?

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Jay McInvale

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:27:38 GMT
 Question re PL/I program as a web page
ASP coding in PL/I is awkward, Use VB with a PL/I DLL for low level logic.
A better solution is to program the PL/I program as a CGI application.
Examples for VA PL/I can be found on the IBM VA PL/I FTP site.

Quote:
> I have been a mainframe PL/I programmer for 20 years. I just purchased
> Personal PL/I a few days ago. I desire to replace some rather large ASP
web
> pages with a PL/I .exe but I need to know whether it can be done, and if
so,
> how? For example, how does the PL/I program receive HTTP variables, and
then
> write HTML back out to the client? I know I can call the PL/I .exe program
> from an ASP page and then use the ASP page to Response.Write whatever file
> the PL/I program created that contains the HTML. But this seems awkward
and
> inefficient. What is the best way to use a PL/I .exe as a web page?

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Jay McInvale

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:11:09 GMT
 Question re PL/I program as a web page
Peter:

I would be interested in the URL's if you can find them quickly.

Quote:

--
Michael Motek
Senior Programmer/Analyst, University of Victoria

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:59:33 GMT

1. PL/1 web pages

2. PL/1 Web Pages

3. Opening a web page with a CW4. program

4. Programming related web page

5. New web page about programming

6. ICI programming language web pages

7. Learn to program or write web pages on line

8. Check out my new programming web page

9. New Programming Web Page

10. New x86 programming web page

11. New programming web page

12. Web-page|socket|my-ada-program