visualage programmers/programs
Author Message
 visualage programmers/programs

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any VisualAge PL/1 programmers out there?  I
was hoping to get some sample code on creating a Windows program that
interfaces with DB2 on Win2k.  The only samples that come with the product
fail to include how to create windows, listboxes, etc.

Any suggestions/snippets/codesamples?  I'm really desperate here.

Mairhtin

aka irishboy at rocketmail dot com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:20:41 GMT
 visualage programmers/programs
The Programming Guide has documentation on embedding SQL and on the PP(SQL)
option.
Sample programs can be found in C:\Program Files\IBM\VAPLI\samples. They
commence with DB2, SQL and UDF.
Header files can be found in C:\Program Files\IBM\VAPLI\INCLUDE. They
commence with DB2, SQL [and ODBC].

There is also a sample program that shows how to put up a window; there is
otherwise very little on GUI coding in PL/I. If you know how to do it in C
(in particular using the WindowsX mapping layer), it's a trivial exercise to
use the same APIs from PL/I. If you don't know C-based GUI development, get
hold of and study Petzold. YOu will need to install the MS Platform SDK (if
you don't have a CD, you can download it from
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/).

Writing a program that does both is a matter of coding with both techniques.
You may also wish to use multitasking to ensure responsiveness. Under W2K /
XP, the easiest technique is to use a background processing thread (worker
thread) that is a message-only window (call CreateWindow with hwndParent =
HWND_MESSAGE). You can then post messages from the GUI thread to the worker
thread, and send messages from the worker thread to the GUI thread. Details
can be found in the Microsoft Platform SDK.

A more effective technique is to write the database and business logic in
PL/I (packaged as DLLs) and the GUI in Visual Basic. This gives your speed
for the logic and quick development for the GUI.

I have used all of the techniques given above in large project (500KLOC) on
NT / W2K.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I was wondering if there are any VisualAge PL/1 programmers out there?  I
> was hoping to get some sample code on creating a Windows program that
> interfaces with DB2 on Win2k.  The only samples that come with the product
> fail to include how to create windows, listboxes, etc.

> Any suggestions/snippets/codesamples?  I'm really desperate here.

> Mairhtin

> aka irishboy at rocketmail dot com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:47:30 GMT
 visualage programmers/programs
Clem Clarke has a product called "Easyform" which I haven't had a chance to
try out yet. Maybe it's what you're looking for? You'll also need a Borland
or MS C compiler installed. Can be found at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~oscarptyltd/

Alternatively, use MS-Visual Basic or similar to make the screens and call
the PLI programms (compiled as dlls) from there. That's how we do it.

To use DB2 (I assume UDB?) you'll need the Software Developers Kit which
comes with DB2-UDB. Works a treat.
Tim.

Quote:
> A more effective technique is to write the database and business logic in
> PL/I (packaged as DLLs) and the GUI in Visual Basic. This gives your speed
> for the logic and quick development for the GUI.

> I have used all of the techniques given above in large project (500KLOC)
on
> NT / W2K.

> > I was wondering if there are any VisualAge PL/1 programmers out there?
> > was hoping to get some sample code on creating a Windows program that
> > interfaces with DB2 on Win2k.  The only samples that come with the
product
> > fail to include how to create windows, listboxes, etc.

> > Any suggestions/snippets/codesamples?  I'm really desperate here.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:26:59 GMT
 visualage programmers/programs
Hi Tim

Qucik question, why does your organisation do any development in PL/I ?

If you are using VB why not do it all in VB ?

I'm interested in the reasons for this.

Thanks
Hugh

Quote:

>Clem Clarke has a product called "Easyform" which I haven't had a chance to
>try out yet. Maybe it's what you're looking for? You'll also need a Borland
>or MS C compiler installed. Can be found at:
>http://members.ozemail.com.au/~oscarptyltd/

>Alternatively, use MS-Visual Basic or similar to make the screens and call
>the PLI programms (compiled as dlls) from there. That's how we do it.

>To use DB2 (I assume UDB?) you'll need the Software Developers Kit which
>comes with DB2-UDB. Works a treat.
>Tim.

>> A more effective technique is to write the database and business logic in
>> PL/I (packaged as DLLs) and the GUI in Visual Basic. This gives your speed
>> for the logic and quick development for the GUI.

>> I have used all of the techniques given above in large project (500KLOC)
>on
>> NT / W2K.

>> > I was wondering if there are any VisualAge PL/1 programmers out there?
>> > was hoping to get some sample code on creating a Windows program that
>> > interfaces with DB2 on Win2k.  The only samples that come with the
>product
>> > fail to include how to create windows, listboxes, etc.

>> > Any suggestions/snippets/codesamples?  I'm really desperate here.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:24:49 GMT
 visualage programmers/programs

Quote:
> Hi Tim
> Qucik question, why does your organisation do any development in PL/I ?

> If you are using VB why not do it all in VB ?

> I'm interested in the reasons for this.

We had a large system already written in PLI for the mainframe which we had
to move over to a different platform, so we chose Win NT (as we had good
support).
We are a small group who know PLI reasonably well and haven't the recources
to learn anything alse in the short time we had to get all the work done.
Plus we wanted a language that was fairly stable - VB is an MS product and
they're notoriously inconsistent (whether that's true or not is a different
matter). We'd have to rewrite everything - some of it fairly old and complex
stuff. "No way, Jos".
Anyway we basically do all the front-end input/display in VB, and have left
the rest, and write new nitty-gritty logic in PLI.  Also we knew how to
interface with DB2/UDB.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:37:04 GMT
 visualage programmers/programs
...er pressed "send" too soon....
and we really didn't have enough experience at the time with VB to do any
more than screens etc. I still don't feel right using it for any critical
programming. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
Tim.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:39:37 GMT

1. VisualAge users VisualAge users VisualAge users.

2. Contract Sr. Level VisualAge Programmer- Maryland/DC

3. VisualAge for Smalltalk Programmers and Analysts

4. US-NC-VisualAge Smalltalk Programmer

5. Smalltalk VisualAge Programmers

6. US-NC-VisualAge Smalltalk Programmer

7. US-NC-VisualAge Smalltalk Programmer

8. VisualAge Smalltalk Programmer Needed in NC

9. FL - VisualAge Programmer

10. US-NC-VisualAge Smalltalk Programmer