looking for info ref OLD computer language thought to run on IBM
Author Message
 looking for info ref OLD computer language thought to run on IBM

        >>PL/X -- I think that was a system programming language that had nothing
        >>to do with PL/S.

        >>The first name for PL/S was Basic Systems Language (BSL).  I sure most
        >>of us can quickly imagine the most obvious corruption of the title,
        >>which is why the name got changed.

        >>Mark IV is a language associated with a report product.  I believe it is
        >>still current, though I don't know the vendor off the top of my head.
        >>CA probably bought them at some time, though!

        >>I, personally, think of PL/S as a PL/I that has stronger pointers,
        >>emits real Assembler code that is processed by a real Assembler, and
        >>has an escape mechanism to use Assembler directly, provided you know
        >>the rules.  As far as I know, the statement that selected developers have
        >>access to the language is correct.  The quality of the generated code
        >>isn't all that bad, either.  Not that us few remaining Assembler
        >>programmers couldn't do much better!  Many of the pointer capabilities
        >>in PL/S have been ported to the newer PL/Is, so it is no longer
        >>completely correct to say that PL/S has stronger pointers than PL/I.

        >>[snip]
        ><snip>

        >PL/S, PLAS, and PL/X are all operating system development languages
        >used at IBM.  As an IBM developer for 12 years, I've used all of them.

        >PL/S is the oldest of the PL series, and PL/X is the most recent.

        >In addition to features already mentioned(pointers & the ability to
        >drop into assembler) the output of these compilers is highly
        >optimized.  For operating systems, obviously, performance is critical.

        >I recently taught a class in PL/X at an IBM Year 2000 center.  PL/X is
        >currently used for operating systems development at IBM and classes
        >are given continuously at some sites.

        >Please email me with any specific PL/X questions.

        >Regards,

        >George Calafut

Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. looking for info ref OLD computer language thought to run on IBM

2. Help: Running old Clip Ver on 486 or newer Computers

3. Looking for old computer software

4. The Computer Museum searching for a working IBM 5100 running APL

5. New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

6. From alt.folklore.computers: IBM 7094 Emulator now runs Fortran compiler

7. New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

8. Wanted a Fortran 90 compiler to run on an IBM MVS mainframe computer

9. Looking for computer info

10. Fortran for old Computer Automation mini-computers

11. Looking For Old Mainframe Hardware/Language Specs

12. Looking for book: Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces for IBM Systems and Application Programmers