wrong path used in ./myConfig
Author Message
 wrong path used in ./myConfig

I think the wrong path is refered to in ./myConfig in version Tk-b11.02.

To check if Perl 5.002 is installed, it checks:
    my $path = "$Config{'installarchlib'}/CORE/perl.h";

Wouldn't
    my $path = "$Config{'archlib'}/CORE/perl.h"
be better?  Because of a hetrogenious network and automounting, my
install path is *conciderably* different from my runtime path.  Or have I
misunderstood what ``installarchlib'' is used for in Perl?

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 wrong path used in ./myConfig

Quote:
>I think the wrong path is refered to in ./myConfig in version Tk-b11.02.

>To check if Perl 5.002 is installed, it checks:
>    my $path = "$Config{'installarchlib'}/CORE/perl.h";

>Wouldn't
>    my $path = "$Config{'archlib'}/CORE/perl.h"
>be better?  Because of a hetrogenious network and automounting, my
>install path is *conciderably* different from my runtime path.  Or have I
>misunderstood what ``installarchlib'' is used for in Perl?

Did you 'make install' perl?

Here on an Ultrix box using depot code management is an example where the paths
differ:

 % perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{archlib}\n$Config{installarchlib}\n";'
 /usr/local/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003
 /usr/local/depot/perl~500201/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003

Hmm... These places certainly look different to me.

 % diff /usr/local/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003/CORE/perl.h \
        /usr/local/depot/perl~500201/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003/CORE/perl.h
 %

(no difference)

Why would 'archlib' "be better" than the place where architecture dependent
headers get "installed"?

Peter Prymmer

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 wrong path used in ./myConfig

Quote:

> >I think the wrong path is refered to in ./myConfig in version Tk-b11.02.

> >To check if Perl 5.002 is installed, it checks:
> >    my $path = "$Config{'installarchlib'}/CORE/perl.h";

> >Wouldn't
> >    my $path = "$Config{'archlib'}/CORE/perl.h"
> >be better?  Because of a hetrogenious network and automounting, my
> >install path is *conciderably* different from my runtime path.  Or have I
> >misunderstood what ``installarchlib'' is used for in Perl?

> Did you 'make install' perl?

Yes.

Quote:
> Here on an Ultrix box using depot code management is an example where the
> paths differ:

>  % perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{archlib}\n$Config{installarchlib}\n";'
>  /usr/local/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003
>  /usr/local/depot/perl~500201/lib/perl5/RISC-ultrix/5.003

> Why would 'archlib' "be better" than the place where architecture dependent
> headers get "installed"?

Because the path I used to INSTALL Perl are not the paths I expect to be
used to ACCESS Perl after the installation.  When Tk-b11.02 checks to see
if Perl is installed, it finds the wrong path.  In this capacitiy
Tk-b11.02 is simply using Perl and thus should use the path for using
Perl.

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 wrong path used in ./myConfig

Quote:
>Because the path I used to INSTALL Perl are not the paths I expect to be
>used to ACCESS Perl after the installation.  When Tk-b11.02 checks to see
>if Perl is installed, it finds the wrong path.  In this capacitiy
>Tk-b11.02 is simply using Perl and thus should use the path for using
>Perl.

I do not understand the problem. If I run:

      sh Configure -Dprefix=/where/ever

from inside of say /tmp (indeed a lot of folks install software from there)
then I run make, make install, I then run:

      /where/ever/bin/perl Makefile.PL

for Tk-b11.02. Hence in this example the place where I _BUILT_ perl was
different from the place where I install & use perl from.
Is this not working for you? What problems are you encountering?
What does "perl -V" (with a capitol V) say? What error messages does myConfig
return?

Peter Prymmer

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 wrong path used in ./myConfig

!> author of the MakeMaker extension to perl
!> says that neither archlib, nor archlibinstall but:
!>
!>         $Config{'archlibexp'}
!
!> Does any of this help you?
!
!Yes, greatly.  Once I found the exact cause of my problem and the fix, I
!just edited the files and changed this.
!
!-- David

So 'archlibexp' worked for you David? That is great. I am forwarding this
response to you and to the ptk mailing list so that Nick can have a look at it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Peter Prymmer

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ptk makefile and myConfig

2. How am I using sort wrong?

3. IndigoPerl using the wrong port??

4. Using LWP::UserAgent but seconf form's post is wrong target

5. eval using the wrong namespace?

6. Tk::Web uses wrong BASE for redirected URLs

7. Using executable pathname to define include path

8. tainting problem using File::Path (rmtree)

9. Using a search path to open input files

10. setting path in command window using perl

11. Bad Return-Path when using Mail::Mailer

12. tainting problms using File::Path