Perl/Tk on HP-UX 10.20
Author Message
 Perl/Tk on HP-UX 10.20

Hello all,
I am looking for binary distribution of the Tk module for HPUX does
anybody know were I can find something like this. I tried to compile the
CPAN module but I did not succeed. The perl Makefile.PL command already
fails when it is looking for the X include files. I tried already with
the X11 and X11LIB and X11INC command line options, without success. It
seems to be that the include files the script is looking for are not
installed on  my HP station. It's a core installation of the HP-UX
operating system. I heard that there should be an X developer package
for HP-UX which should include the include files, does anybody knows
where I can find it.
Thanks,
Peter Eberz

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:59:11 GMT
 Perl/Tk on HP-UX 10.20

Quote:
> Hello all,
> I am looking for binary distribution of the Tk module for HPUX does
> anybody know were I can find something like this. I tried to compile
the
> CPAN module but I did not succeed. The perl Makefile.PL command
already
> fails when it is looking for the X include files. I tried already with
> the X11 and X11LIB and X11INC command line options, without success.
>It
> seems to be that the include files the script is looking for are not
> installed on  my HP station. It's a core installation of the HP-UX
> operating system. I heard that there should be an X developer package
> for HP-UX which should include the include files, does anybody knows
> where I can find it.

Try:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

they have a complete X11R5 and possibly X11R6 as well.

You didn't say which perl version you have or which Tk version you
tried to install?

FYI - I downgraded my Tk to 800.015 on our servers at work due to too
many memory leaks in 800.022. I would recommend you do the same. We are
still using 5.004_04 (old I know!). I can send you a perl -V and the
commands I used to get it up and running. Let me know.

Jack

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:55:07 GMT
 Perl/Tk on HP-UX 10.20

Quote:

> > Hello all,
> > I am looking for binary distribution of the Tk

module for HPUX does
Quote:
> > anybody know were I can find something like

this. I tried to compile
Quote:
> the
> > CPAN module but I did not succeed. The perl
Makefile.PL command
> already
> > fails when it is looking for the X include

files. I tried already with
Quote:
> > the X11 and X11LIB and X11INC command line

options, without success.
Quote:
> >It
> > seems to be that the include files the script

is looking for are not
Quote:
> > installed on  my HP station. It's a core

installation of the HP-UX
Quote:
> > operating system. I heard that there should be

an X developer package
Quote:
> > for HP-UX which should include the include

files, does anybody knows
Quote:
> > where I can find it.

> Try:

> http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

> they have a complete X11R5 and possibly X11R6 as
well.

> You didn't say which perl version you have or

which Tk version you
Quote:
> tried to install?

> FYI - I downgraded my Tk to 800.015 on our

servers at work due to too
Quote:
> many memory leaks in 800.022. I would recommend

you do the same. We are
Quote:
> still using 5.004_04 (old I know!). I can send

you a perl -V and the
Quote:
> commands I used to get it up and running. Let me
know.

> Jack

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Thanks,
this brought me on the right path. But there where
still a few problems to solve. Next I will lay out
the way I did in detail hopefully it will help
someone else with the same problem.
I downloaded the following files from
hpux.connect.org.uk
XR6built-6.11-sd-9.03.tar
binutils-2.9.1-sd-10.20.depot.gz
gcc-2.95.2-sd-10.20.depot.gz
and the following form cpan.org
stable.tar.gz   #the latest stable source for perl
Tk800.022.tar.gz
I put all the files to /tmp on my HP C3600 running
HP-UX 10.20
I did a gzip -d on all the files
I checked that the localhost setting in /etc/hosts
is correct. It should be
127.0.0.1  localhost
I do not know why, but on two of my stations it
was set to 127.0.0.0 which will cause the 'make
test' to fail afterwards.

####### Important ########
# Do not try to shortcut the installation by
# downloading the binary distribution of Perl
# from cpan.org. The compilation of Tk will
# fail afterwards as long as you do not have the
# ANSI C compiler for HP-UX.
# The configure script of TK checks with which
# compiler Perl was compiled and then uses the
# same one for Tk. I did not found anyway to
# convince the configure script to use gcc, so
# I decided to compile Perl as well from the
# source. At least a nice experience ;-)
#######

First I installed the binutilities and the gcc
compiler
% xhost +  # otherwise swinstall runs in textmode
% su
# swinstall -s /tmp/binutils-2.9.1-sd-10.20.depot
do Action/Install
# swinstall -s /tmp/gcc-2.95.2-sd-10.20.depot
do Action/Install

Now install the X11R6 lib and include files
# cd /usr
# tar xvf /tmp/XR6built-6.11-sd-9.03.tar
It seems that they work as well with HP-UX 10.20
# cd /tmp
# tar xvf stable.tar
# chown -R root:sys perl-5.6.0
# cd perl-5.6.0
# mkdir UU         # if I did not do these changes
# chmod 777 UU     # makedepend could not create
files in UU directory during the run of the
configure script
# rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
# sh CC=gcc ./configure.gnu
# make
# make test
# make install
# csh
# set path = ($path /opt/perl5/bin)
# ln -s /opt/perl5/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl

Now the installation of the TK starts
# cd /tmp
# tar xvf Tk800.022.tar
# chown -R root:sys Tk800.022
# chmod 777 Tk800.022   # just to be sure
# perl Makefile.PL
# make
# make test
Here I do have a fail on test 4-5 of t/autoload.
Additionally I do have come complains about the
use of uninitilized variables in Tk.pm. There I am
still looking for a solution. Meanwhile I
continued.
# make install

This succeeded and I was able to run my first
small Perl/Tk program.
After that you can add the perl to the path by
modifying the .cshrc file in the users home
directory by appending
set path= ($path /opt/perl5/bin)

Once you have it compiled and installed you can
create a tarfile of the binaries and copy it to
another station
# cd /tmp
# tar /tmp/perl5.6.0-tk800.022.tar /usr/X11R6 \
/opt/perl5
# gzip -9 /tmp/perl5.6.0-tk800.022.tar
Transfer it to an other station and do the
opposite

On the other station
First make sure that you do not have a /usr/X11R6
directory which will maybe include a newer version
of the XLib.
# gzip -d /tmp/perl5.6.0-tk800.022.tar.gz
# tar xvf /tmp/perl5.6.0-tk800.022.tar

After I solved the problem during the 'make test'
of the Tk I will make the binaries available.
I tested the transfer of the binaries on a J200,
B2000 and C3600.

I hope this will help others to overcome this
problem.
Bye,
Peter Eberz

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:38:35 GMT

1. Perl/Tk for HPUX 10.20?

2. Perl TK on HP-UX 10.20 System

3. Perl Tk installation on HP-UX 10.20

4. Core dump running Perl/Tk with HP-UX 10.20

5. Core dump running Perl/Tk with HP-UX 10.20

6. Perl/Tk crashes on HP-UX 10.20

7. Perl Tk compilation on HP-UX 10.20

8. i wish to install and configure perl/tk on hp-ux 10.20

9. Perl/Tk for HP-UX 10.20

10. Perl TK on HP-UX 10.20 System

11. Where can I find tk.pm for HP-UX 10.20

12. Building Tk on HP-UX 10.20