Perl/tk vs Tcl
Author Message
 Perl/tk vs Tcl

Given that perl/tk exists can anyone think of a reason why I should take the time to learn Tcl.  Is there
anything that can be done in Tcl/tk that can't be done in perl/tk?

TIA,

Neil

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/tk vs Tcl

Re: what could you do in tcl/tk that you can't do in perl/tk

well, the main thing is write tk programs that run without change on
mac/windows/unix/vms .... there are also a number of extensions that
are only available for tcl right now just as there are a number of
extensions that are available only for perl.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/tk vs Tcl

Quote:

>Given that perl/tk exists can anyone think of a reason why I should take the time to learn Tcl.  Is there
>anything that can be done in Tcl/tk that can't be done in perl/tk?

Yes, unfortunately.

Tcl/Tk is supported on three platforms -- Windows (95/NT/3.1), MacOS,
and most UNIXen.

Perl/Tk has not been attempted on MacOS, and I am not aware of any
Windows ports.

Therefore, for the time being Perl/Tk code is less portable.

Moreover, the new Tcl 8.0/Tk 8.0 combo seems to address some of the
more egregious sins of earlier versions. But it'll be a while before
the new features (to the extent they're applicable to pTk) creep
into the Perl/Tk system.

a working knowledge of Tcl/Tk would be useful.

(I still prefer Perl.)

-- Charlie

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

2. Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

3. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

4. opinions on tcl/tk vs perl/tk

5. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

6. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

7. Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

8. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

9. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

10. Performance questions vs. tcl/Tk

11. Tcl/2K : The 7th USENIX Tcl/Tk Conference Call for Papers

12. ANNOUNCE: Tcl and Tcl::Tk extensions to Perl5