perl/tk vs.tcl/tk
Author Message
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

At the risk of inviting flames, here goes:

  Does anyone have an informed opinion of the relative merits of
Perl/TK and Tcl/Tk? To make this more specific, here's where I am
coming from:

  I know Perl pretty well (Perl 4 that is). I don't know tcl. I have
a fairly small tcl/tk program that I've inherited. I will probably
be doing a fair bit of modification of the program. So I have to decide
whether to

a) Learn Tcl enough to modify the program,

b) S{*filter*}it and rewrite in Perl/Tk.

  On a related note, would the Perl/Tk route require me to build Perl 5?
Our initial attempt at building it for sparc-solaris did not work and
I need a good reason to try again.

  I welcome mail to me or the above newsgroups (particularly
comp.lang.perl.misc since that is the only one I currently read.)

  Thanks a lot.

Director, Speech Technology                       http://www.*-*-*.com/
Applied Language Technologies                     617-225-0012
215 First Street                                  fax: 617-225-0322
Cambridge, MA 02142

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

:   On a related note, would the Perl/Tk route require me to build Perl 5?
: Our initial attempt at building it for sparc-solaris did not work and
: I need a good reason to try again.

You can use Perl 4, if there's still a port of tkperl around (*much*
different than pTk).

Try to use Perl5.002+/pTk, though as it will make your life mucho
easy, and the pTk documentation is pretty good.

--

"Nasal spray ... do you know where I can score some?"
                        - Charles Demar from _Better Off Dead_

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

Quote:

>  On a related note, would the Perl/Tk route require me to build Perl 5?
>Our initial attempt at building it for sparc-solaris did not work and
>I need a good reason to try again.

Lemme give you a good reason: perl4 is way way obsolete and unsupported. It is
not an appropriate base for new development. It's sufficiently obsolete that
code written for perl4 shouldn't be maintained under perl4; the first step in
even maintenance work should be to change to perl5, which is quite easy.

Perl5 builds really easily. I'd recommend grabbing 5.003 (or 5.004 if it has
come out by the time you get ready to do this), and doing your build; the
command sequence should look something like

    lynx -source http://perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz|tar xzvf -
    (cd perl5.00[34]&&./Configure -des&&make test install)&&rm -rf perl5.00[34]
    (cd /usr/include&&h2ph *.h */*.h)

You will probably be happier if you arrange for a recent gcc to be
available on your system; there's a nice package ready to pkgadd at
<URL:http://smc.vnet.net/solaris_2.5.html>, if you don't want to bootstrap
it in yourself. And it'll be cool if you build and install Berkeley's libdb
before you do perl; the DB_File will be built as well.

If you really don't want to build it, there's a package of 5.003 at the
Solaris free SW site as well, but I'd encourage you to get your compilation
environment fixed so you can build perl.

-Bennett

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

I'd say it depends on what you are planning on doing.  If it is truly
a ``fairly small'' tcl/tk program, then you're proabably not going to
gain much in moving it to perl.  If what you're trying to do is
complex enough, there are HUGE advantages to using perl.

I should add that most of the advanatages of perl come with perl 5,
and never having used the perl4/tkperl package I can't comment on how
useful it is.

Bottom line: if you don't plan on spending much time on this thing,
stick with tcl.  Otherwise, ...

jd

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

Quote:

> At the risk of inviting flames, here goes:

>   Does anyone have an informed opinion of the relative merits of
> Perl/TK and Tcl/Tk? To make this more specific, here's where I am
> coming from:

>   I know Perl pretty well (Perl 4 that is). I don't know tcl. I have
> a fairly small tcl/tk program that I've inherited. I will probably
> be doing a fair bit of modification of the program. So I have to decide
> whether to

> a) Learn Tcl enough to modify the program,

> b) S{*filter*}it and rewrite in Perl/Tk.

I know TCL/Tk and Perl, but I have not really programmed with PerlTk (yet :).
I would recommend to rewrite it.  I don't want to start a flame war, but
I was burned pretty badly with TCL's string handling functions.  You can
get TCL to do just about anything you want, but it may take much longer to
code.  Also, it has been my experience that Perl is *much* faster than TCL
when it comes to file I/O.  As far as I know, Perl has been optimized much
more efficiently than TCL, which makes it run faster no matter what your
application will be doing.

So, it's my opinion that you should learn Perl5 and use the Tk calls from within
that instead of learning TCL and Perl5.

Quote:
>   On a related note, would the Perl/Tk route require me to build Perl 5?
> Our initial attempt at building it for sparc-solaris did not work and
> I need a good reason to try again.

>   I welcome mail to me or the above newsgroups (particularly
> comp.lang.perl.misc since that is the only one I currently read.)

Chunk Perl4.  I compiled Perl5 fairly easily on a Sparc20 with Sol2.5, then
compiling Tk seemed to go pretty well.  I definitely recommend it.

Good luck!
Harlin!

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

Quote:
> At the risk of inviting flames, here goes:

>   Does anyone have an informed opinion of the relative merits of
> Perl/TK and Tcl/Tk? To make this more specific, here's where I am
> coming from:

I suggest Perl/Tk for you ....

If you have complex logic, Perl is definitely the better choice,
considering that
you already know most of it. You will have to learn the OO syntax of Perl,
but that shouldn't be more than an afternoon's work, if all you really want
to do
is use Tk.

Tk on both is pretty much the same, I just happen to like the Tcl/Tk
integration
better. Tcl/Tk installation and documentation are among the best I have
ever seen,
but since you are running on a Solaris box, Perl/Tk should be equally good
for you.
If you have problems installing, post it on this newsgroup, and we will
take
a crack at it.

-Sriram

Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

Quote:

> I know Perl pretty well (Perl 4 that is). I don't know tcl. I have
> a fairly small tcl/tk program that I've inherited. I will probably
> be doing a fair bit of modification of the program. So I have to decide
> whether to

> a) Learn Tcl enough to modify the program,

Learning Tcl isn't that tough and shouldn't really be an issue.

Quote:
> b) S{*filter*}it and rewrite in Perl/Tk.

This is a tough choice. IMHO, for everything not related to the GUI
part, Perl is undoubtedly better. For the GUI part, which is better
depends on what features of Tk you're using. If you're using some
fancy library / toolkit (such as Tix), you're probably better off
using Tcl/Tk (although this gap is decreasing---some of the nicer
widgets of Tix have already been ported to Perl/Tk.) Similarly,
programs using Tk's send may have to go to some lengths to retain
similar functionality under Perl/Tk. On the other hand, Nick
Ing-Simmons has done a really great job of engineering Perl/Tk and it
is really easy to extend Perl/Tk with your own abstract (or
not-so-abstract) widgets. Perl's OO is exploited aggressively and goes
a long way in improving productivity once you get over the initial
hump.

Quote:
> On a related note, would the Perl/Tk route require me to build Perl 5?

Yes.

Quote:
> Our initial attempt at building it for sparc-solaris did not work and
> I need a good reason to try again.

Ummm... what problems did you have? I have a sparc-solaris here and
perl5 builds and works just fine.
--

        They also surf who only stand on the waves.

Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

2. Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

3. opinions on tcl/tk vs perl/tk

4. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

5. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

6. Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

7. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

8. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

9. Perl/tk vs Tcl

10. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?

11. starting Tcl/Tk from perl/Tk

12. tcl/tk->perl/tk translator