Random seg.fault when $Toplevel->destroy() is called
Author Message
 Random seg.fault when $Toplevel->destroy() is called

I have a written a stock ticker program called smtm (which you can get from
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~edd/code/smtm.html) with which I am having
difficulties in debugging a randomly occuring segfault.

Some users reported it on Debian slink, and I first though that it might be
related to the older perl-tk used there, but it also happens on Debian potato
with 800.015.

When one selects Add or Delete from the Edit menu, the application sometimes
randomly disappears _after stocks have been added or deleted_. In other
words, the bug seems to be related to the handling of the window. I added
print out using Data::Dumper, and the main data structure does get filled
properly. Also, uncommenting the destroy() prevents the seg.fault --- so the
error quite clearly seems to lie with the Tk kit. I am at a loss now as far
as debugging goes.

Anybody here with Tk experience who could help?

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Random seg.fault when $Toplevel->destroy() is called

Quote:

> I have a written a stock ticker program called smtm (which you can get from
> http://rosebud.sps.queensu.ca/~edd/code/smtm.html) with which I am having
> difficulties in debugging a randomly occuring segfault.

> Some users reported it on Debian slink, and I first though that it might be
> related to the older perl-tk used there, but it also happens on Debian potato
> with 800.015.

> When one selects Add or Delete from the Edit menu, the application sometimes
> randomly disappears _after stocks have been added or deleted_. In other
> words, the bug seems to be related to the handling of the window. I added
> print out using Data::Dumper, and the main data structure does get filled
> properly. Also, uncommenting the destroy() prevents the seg.fault --- so the
> error quite clearly seems to lie with the Tk kit. I am at a loss now as far
> as debugging goes.

> Anybody here with Tk experience who could help?

I saw similar crashes on a Suse system. After recompiling perl and Tk
everything worked fine. Simply don't trust that the perl binary
installed in Linux distributions will work right...

Regards,
        Slaven

--
use Tk;$c=tkinit->Canvas(-he,20)->grid;$x=5;map{s!\n!!g;map{create$c 'line'=>
map{$a=-43+ord;($x+($a>>3)*2=>5+($a&7)*2)}split''}split"!";$x+=12}split/_/=>'K

Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl bug: seg fault on <> ref

2. Howto keep TopLevel->destroy() from squashing my vars

3. binding to <Destroy> for a toplevel

4. $Toplevel->destroy gives coredump

5. $toplevel->raise() is calling POSIX::raise() ?!

6. re $toplevel->raise() is calling POSIX::raise() ?!

7. Calling c++ CookBookB::CCsimple->DESTROY from perl

8. Calling c++ CookBookB::CCsimple->DESTROY from perl

9. Seg-faults with XML::Parser

10. help: HTTP::request creates seg fault?

11. Strange Seg Fault w/ Perl 5.8.0 and RedHat 8.0

12. Perl5 ref.t causes seg fault