Documentation on Advertise??
Author Message
 Documentation on Advertise??

I've seen $w->Advertise('name' => $widget) used in several of the standard
Perl libriares available, but can't find any documenation on it. As far as I can
tell it makes a call to $w->subwidget('name') return the original $widget??
What other effects does it have?  Anyone know where I can get docs on this?

Thanks,

-Nancy
--

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Documentation on Advertise??

Quote:

>I've seen $w->Advertise('name' => $widget) used in several of the standard
>Perl libriares available, but can't find any documenation on it. As far as I can
>tell it makes a call to $w->subwidget('name') return the original $widget??
>What other effects does it have?  Anyone know where I can get docs on this?

Short story:  you shouldn't be using Advertise()!

Long story:  it's a holdover from early Tk composite days.  A composite
widget developer would selectively Advertise() important subwidgets that
he/she deemed important for the *user* of the composite to access.  The user
invoked Subwidget(), providing the advertized name of a subwidget, and
got back the widget reference, which could be configured, etcetera.  There is
another subroutine, Component(), which created subwidgets and also Advertised()
them.

There is a better method to build and use composites these days.

They expose too much of an OO widget's implementation.  Build composite and
derived widgets using Populate() and ConfigSpecs() instead.  There are HTML
docs in the Perl/Tk distribution, plus lots of sample code.

Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Where to advertise simple perl project

2. advertising script problem

3. Help! Need a NON-SSI advertising script

4. Where can we advertise our perl consultancy services?

5. Pizza Hut advertises for CPAN

6. internet jobs available in your home town / Advertising consultants needed

7. advertise script

8. HELP ! Customized advertising in web pages

9. $( and $( - dont work as advertised???

10. File test operators do not work as advertised!!

11. ADVERTISE TO OVER 100 MILLION PEOPLE FOR FREE!!!

12. Camel Errata: database locking doesn't work as advertised