Expanding widgets within grid
Author Message
 Expanding widgets within grid

Quote:

> I have been unable to determine how to get widgets to expand when my main
> window expands (using the grid geometry manager). I've set -sticky =>
> "news" on all appropriate widgets and containers but cannot get them to
> grow.

W/O seeing code I have to assume it's because everyone is "weightless".  You
need to use -weight and assign NZ and integral weights to widgets before they
expand/contract, else they "shrinkwrap".

Quote:
>        I was attempting to set the weight with gridConfigure and
> columnConfigure, but I cannot use $mw as the master (bad window path name
> "columnconfigure" at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/Tk/Submethods.pm line
> 33, <STDIN> chunk 12.). If I have not created a container for my widgets,
> but simply gridded them into the main window, what do I use as the master
> for the grid command?

The fact that the MainWindow can't be a grid master is a bug, but essentially
any widget can act as a master; in particular, a Frame.  So simply create a
dummy frame as a child of $mw and grid inside that, assigning weights as
required.

Quote:

> Any help sorting this out would be greatly appreciated!

The latest alpha Tk, which, if it builds on your OS, is almost ready for
prime time, and I assume that you can grid the MainWindow..... Tk402.001.

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Expanding widgets within grid

06/16/97 06:57 AM

I have been unable to determine how to get widgets to expand when my main
window expands (using the grid geometry manager). I've set -sticky =>
"news" on all appropriate widgets and containers but cannot get them to
grow. I was attempting to set the weight with gridConfigure and
columnConfigure, but I cannot use $mw as the master (bad window path name
"columnconfigure" at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/Tk/Submethods.pm line
33, <STDIN> chunk 12.). If I have not created a container for my widgets,
but simply gridded them into the main window, what do I use as the master
for the grid command?

Any help sorting this out would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. canvas widgets and grid management...

2. $widget->grid locks up program?

3. why does grid not work with text widget?

4. Data Grid Widget??

5. Perl/TK and Data Grid Widget???

6. grid widget?

7. Replacing Widgets in Grid

8. Grid in a text widget

9. composite widget with grid

10. Expand ENV var within another ENV var

11. How do I expand a variable within `'s

12. How to get real size of expanded widget?