Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?
Author Message
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

Hi, three quick newbie questions:

The most recent FAQ I've seen (which isn't all that recent) gave the
version of tk as 4.0. Firstly, is this the same 4.0 as the tk part of
Tcl/tk? Second, is that still the most recent version? And, lastly,
if it is the most recent, does anyone know if/when Perl/tk will work
with tk 8.0?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Day

Tue, 27 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

|> Hi, three quick newbie questions:
|>
|> The most recent FAQ I've seen (which isn't all that recent) gave the
|> version of tk as 4.0. Firstly, is this the same 4.0 as the tk part of
|> Tcl/tk? Second, is that still the most recent version? And, lastly,

Perl/Tk version  Tk402.003  is based on Tk4.2p2

|> if it is the most recent, does anyone know if/when Perl/tk will work
|> with tk 8.0?

Perl/Tk doesn't work 'with' any tk-library installed on your system. It uses
an adapted version of Tk which is packaged with Perl/Tk with some of Tix.
Currently there is no version based on Tk8.0 but some is expected within
a few month.

The big win of Tcl/Tk 8.0 is the improved speed of the Tcl interpreter, but
Perl faster anyway. So going to Tk8.0 is not such a big improvement (for me
at least)

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl f. Numerische Mathematik

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

Quote:

(Jonathan C Day) writes:
>|> Hi, three quick newbie questions:
>|>
>|> The most recent FAQ I've seen (which isn't all that recent) gave the
>|> version of tk as 4.0. Firstly, is this the same 4.0 as the tk part of
>|> Tcl/tk? Second, is that still the most recent version? And, lastly,

>Perl/Tk version  Tk402.003  is based on Tk4.2p2

>|> if it is the most recent, does anyone know if/when Perl/tk will work
>|> with tk 8.0?

>Perl/Tk doesn't work 'with' any tk-library installed on your system. It
uses
>an adapted version of Tk which is packaged with Perl/Tk with some of Tix.
>Currently there is no version based on Tk8.0 but some is expected within
>a few month.

I don't have much faith in having pTk8 in "a few months". pTk seems stuck
with Tk4.2 for years now - is anyone _really_ working on a new version?

Quote:
>The big win of Tcl/Tk 8.0 is the improved speed of the Tcl interpreter, but
>Perl faster anyway. So going to Tk8.0 is not such a big improvement (for me
>at least)

The big win is the native look and feel, which tk4.2 does not provide. This
is the main reason I gave up on pTk.

---

"Life is tough and the hard ships are many"

Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

:I don't have much faith in having pTk8 in "a few months". pTk seems stuck
:with Tk4.2 for years now - is anyone _really_ working on a new version?

Well, certainly Tk 4.2 was first released in October of 1996; Tk 4.2p2
(on which ptk 402.003 is based) came out Jan 31, 1997.

I'm not sure when 402.003 came out - the Change.log last mentions
version 401 being released Sep 1997 so I assume sometime after that.
Since the first ptk support for Tk4.2p2 is dated March 1997, then that
makes ptk Tk 4.2 support less than a year old.

:>The big win of Tcl/Tk 8.0 is the improved speed of the Tcl interpreter, but
:>Perl faster anyway. So going to Tk8.0 is not such a big improvement (for me
:>at least)

Tk8.0p2 still has no support for the Tcl interpreter speed up - it's
purely the native look and feel.

Mon, 03 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

Quote:

> :I don't have much faith in having pTk8 in "a few months". pTk seems stuck
> :with Tk4.2 for years now - is anyone _really_ working on a new version?

I have not been because I was assigned to Dallas for tail end of
last year.

Quote:

> Tk8.0p2 still has no support for the Tcl interpreter speed up - it's
> purely the native look and feel.

Correct.

And change to native look involves quite a lot of changes to the
core which I have to comprehend, and then port.

Wed, 05 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie questions: version of tk in Perl/tk?

Quote:

> The most recent FAQ I've seen (which isn't all that recent) gave the
> version of tk as 4.0. Firstly, is this the same 4.0 as the tk part of
> Tcl/tk? Second, is that still the most recent version? And, lastly,
> if it is the most recent, does anyone know if/when Perl/tk will work
> with tk 8.0?

Yes. Yes. I suppose: Nick Ing-Simmons is working on Perl-izing Tk 8.0
at this time (winter 97-98), the last I heard the work was not complete.

Peter Prymmer

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tk and Perl/Tk version confusion

2. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

3. Tk Version in Perl/Tk

4. New version of Tk::ObjScanner and Tk::ObjEditor

5. Tk Canvas createText() Tk VERSION 800.023

6. Newbie Tk install for Perl/Tk

7. version problems with Tk::Scrollbar or Tk::BrowseEntry

8. what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?

9. Perl/Tk and Fonts (Tk::Fonts) Question

10. Questions to perl/Tk gurus (was: TK Problems with Menu

11. Questions to perl/Tk gurus (was: TK Problems with Menu/MenuButton)

12. Tk Newbie need Tk strategy help for updating image in canvas