Installing Perl/Tk on RH Linux 5.1
Author Message
 Installing Perl/Tk on RH Linux 5.1

Hi everyone,

I have Red Hat Linux 5.1 and all the programs that ship with it, inc. Perl
5.004 and Tk 8.

.... yadda yadda yadda.

I hope someone can tell me how to install Tk for Perl on Linux 5.1. I am
new to all this, so please be clear and precise!!! Please reply to my email
address below or call me on the phone. If you can send me a CD with Perl/Tk
ready to go (on an old 486 DX2 66, 20Mb RAM, not much hard disk space...)
I'll send you a fee for it.

Cheers,
James

+61 2 6732 5884 (+ 11 hrs GMT)

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing Perl/Tk on RH Linux 5.1
I just got into perl this weekend and was able to install Tk800.019.
Bear with me...
Have you compiled a kernel?  If so you've probably got many of the
packages necesary to install Tk.

Have you downloaded Tk800.019 to some directory (usually
/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/Tk800.019/)?

I had to install the XFree86-devel rpm so the compiler could link to the
Xwindows stuff.

If you are ready with this, then log in as root user, start your
favorite window manager, open a terminal window, cd to the Tk800.019
directory and type "./build".  Assuming you have the necessary compilers
already installed (for work with kernels) this should go very smoothly.

If you get compiler errors, check to see that you have the following
packages (may be more, may be less):
make, gcc, egcs, ncurses, kernel-headers, kernelcfg, and kernel-ibcs.  I
am not 100% sure if _all_ these packages are required, but they could
help.

The build script is basically a big make script which will compile, test
and install all the Tk stuff in the package.

Email me (as I my not look back to check your status) if you have other
problems or errors to report.

If the compiler is asking for a particular file, you can search through
the rpm's on the RedHat CD to see which package has it.

Good luck,
Scott

Quote:

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde

glaze!                       |
7:05pm up 11:07, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ftp.pl problem with Linux RH 5.1

2. perl locales in RH 5.1

3. Install ques: perl modules on RH Linux

4. Problem installing modules on in-bred RH Linux system

5. Apache::Session install problem on i868 RH Linux 7.1

6. Can't make Tk mod in RH Linux 5.2

7. CPAN.pm woes - Linux 5.1, Perl 5.005.02

8. Problems installing Tk module on RH 5.2

9. mod_perl Configured on Apache (RedHat 5.1 Linux)

10. Tkperl Binary for Linux Redhat 5.1 Wanted!!!

11. Tkperl binarie for Redhat Linux Intel 5.1 Wanted

12. Installing gnu/stubs.ph in Redhat 5.1