From Win32 battlefront
Author Message
 From Win32 battlefront

Today first simplest programs started to run with Perl/Tk4.1 on
OS/2 in PM. It uses Win32 part of tk, and Unix part of TCL Notify and
Timer (with a backdoor for a message loop). It is compiled using
Open32 (OS/2 Win32 implementation).

It was _a lot_ of work, since Perl/Tk uses a lot of extensions to the
standard Tk which were not sanitized for portability. It still runs
worse than TCL/Tk under Open32, but I hope to close the gap pretty
soon.

People who want to have it running under Win* need to have a working
MakeMaker (should be possible with OS/2 perl_.exe running with RSX
extender), and need to port Win32 Notify/Timer interface to Perl/Tk.

Ilya

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 From Win32 battlefront

Ilya Zakharevich writes on 11-JUL-1996:

Quote:
>Today first simplest programs started to run with Perl/Tk4.1 on
>OS/2 in PM. It uses Win32 part of tk, and Unix part of TCL Notify and
>Timer (with a backdoor for a message loop). It is compiled using
>Open32 (OS/2 Win32 implementation).

>It was _a lot_ of work, since Perl/Tk uses a lot of extensions to the
>standard Tk which were not sanitized for portability. It still runs
>worse than TCL/Tk under Open32, but I hope to close the gap pretty
>soon.

>People who want to have it running under Win* need to have a working
>MakeMaker (should be possible with OS/2 perl_.exe running with RSX
>extender), and need to port Win32 Notify/Timer interface to Perl/Tk.

>Ilya

Excellent work!!!!

Thank you so much for this. :-)

Peter Prymmer

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 From Win32 battlefront

Quote:
Ilya Zakharevich writes:

> Today first simplest programs started to run with Perl/Tk4.1 on
> OS/2 in PM. It uses Win32 part of tk, and Unix part of TCL Notify and
> Timer (with a backdoor for a message loop). It is compiled using
> Open32 (OS/2 Win32 implementation).

> It was _a lot_ of work, since Perl/Tk uses a lot of extensions to the
> standard Tk which were not sanitized for portability. It still runs
> worse than TCL/Tk under Open32, but I hope to close the gap pretty
> soon.

OK, I did it. Now it runs as shitty as TCL/Tk under Open32 ;-) :-(.

(Aside: a lot of time went to find which Open32 call would freeze the
system hard. When I found this, there was a code in tk to have a
workaround: this particular place of Open32 was bub-for-bug compatible
with Win32s. ;-)

Some (;-) work is needed yet.
        a) xpm gives wrong pixmaps: the 3 parts for 3 colors appear
side-by-side;
        b) I needed to disable XDestroyImage, since destroy_image
field is never initialized to non-NULL.

Win32-people who want to help, please investigate these points.

Since Nick did not make his 4.1 port public, I would not make my
patches public for some time. Sorry for this.

Ilya

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 From Win32 battlefront

Quote:

>OK, I did it. Now it runs as shitty as TCL/Tk under Open32 ;-) :-(.

>Win32-people who want to help, please investigate these points.

>Since Nick did not make his 4.1 port public,

It won't be long I hope. Main reasons were:

1. I know I have not finished exit processing
2. I wanted to attend Tcl/Tk workshop and see what gotchas were in the
   works. (Looks like 4.0 -> 4.1 was biggest change for a while - should
   have been 5.0 if you ask me...) Only big change to Tk in pipe seems
   to be for byte-compiler.

Quote:
>I would not make my
>patches public for some time. Sorry for this.

(If you send them to me - you may have done I am not up-to-date
 on mail yet - I will merge them ...)

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32::OLE and Win32::API programming

2. Win32::AdminMisc::UserSetMiscAttributes (Was Re: Win32 UserCreate )

3. Announce: Win32-Const 0.011, values for all Win32 constants

4. start win32 programs from perl for win32

5. Win32 Error: 193 using Perl for Win32

6. perl for win32, Win32::ODBC, and IIS on NT 4.0

7. Perl for Win32, PerlIS.dll, Win32::ODBC

8. Perl for Win32 and Win32::NetResource?

9. Win32::ODBC and Win32 Perl

10. Win32::NetAdmin & Win32::AdminMisc

11. win32 build 313 and win32 ODBC

12. Problem with Win32::NetAdmin and Win32::Adminmisc