RadiobuttonGroup and CheckbuttonGroup
Author Message
 RadiobuttonGroup and CheckbuttonGroup

I wrote two small widgets a little while ago to make my life easier and
posted a message here and uploaded them to CPAN, to not much notice.  I
don't think they have made it into the CPAN directory because their
automatic testing scripts gave a can't connect to X server error.  If
anyone has some info on how to deal with Perl/Tk widgets and CPAN that
would be great.

The widgets are:
Tk::RadiobuttonGroup - Generates a group of radiobuttons within a frame.

Tk::CheckbuttonGroup - Generates a group of checkbuttons within a frame.

These are pretty common things I have do to pretty often.  It makes it
a lot easier to just pass a list to these widgets and have it draw,
returning the result in a variable, than doing it the manual way.

They are both available at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Please let me know if anyone finds this useful.  Thanks.

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:59:44 GMT
 RadiobuttonGroup and CheckbuttonGroup

Quote:

> I wrote two small widgets a little while ago to make my life easier
> and posted a message here and uploaded them to CPAN, to not much
> notice.  I don't think they have made it into the CPAN directory
> because their automatic testing scripts gave a can't connect to X
> server error.  If anyone has some info on how to deal with Perl/Tk
> widgets and CPAN that would be great.

> The widgets are:
> Tk::RadiobuttonGroup - Generates a group of radiobuttons within a
> frame.

> Tk::CheckbuttonGroup - Generates a group of checkbuttons within a
> frame.

> These are pretty common things I have do to pretty often.  It makes it
> a lot easier to just pass a list to these widgets and have it draw,
> returning the result in a variable, than doing it the manual way.

> They are both available at:
> http://www.jannino.com/downloads/index.html

I just looked at Tk::RadiobuttonGroup, very nicely done.  Really
couldn't spot anything I'd change.  As to why it never made it to CPAN,
we'd have to know more details.  I assume you have an author ID opened.
  I can't see anything offhand that looks improper.  Essentially you do
a "make dist" and xfer the result to PAUSE (or have PAUSE fetch the
file for you).  From then on it's automatic, and you should get email
from PAUSE.....

Steve

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:56:40 GMT
 RadiobuttonGroup and CheckbuttonGroup
Thanks.  I am new to CPAN and this is really the first stuff I am
making an effort to publish in an open source way, so I am learning.  I
do have an author account and sent everything up to PAUSE as you said.
The automated perl testing scripts choked on it though.

This is the error I got.

This is an error report generated automatically by CPANPLUS.
Below is the error stack during 'make test':

PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
1..6
ok 1
couldn't connect to display ":0" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.
MainWindow->new() at test.pl line 21
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255

So it can't connect to an X server, which isn't my fault.  The testing
machine is mostly like some headless box somewhere that wouldn't be
running an X server, and even if it was, the testing cron jobs wouldn't
get access to it by default.

I am going to send out a reply and see what they say.  It could be a
shortcoming of their testing environment.  It could be something I'm
missing in test.pl, although I based mine on others I've seen.

Quote:

>> I wrote two small widgets a little while ago to make my life easier
>> and posted a message here and uploaded them to CPAN, to not much
>> notice.  I don't think they have made it into the CPAN directory
>> because their automatic testing scripts gave a can't connect to X
>> server error.  If anyone has some info on how to deal with Perl/Tk
>> widgets and CPAN that would be great.

>> The widgets are:
>> Tk::RadiobuttonGroup - Generates a group of radiobuttons within a
>> frame.

>> Tk::CheckbuttonGroup - Generates a group of checkbuttons within a
>> frame.

>> These are pretty common things I have do to pretty often.  It makes
>> it a lot easier to just pass a list to these widgets and have it
>> draw, returning the result in a variable, than doing it the manual
>> way.

>> They are both available at:
>> http://www.jannino.com/downloads/index.html

> I just looked at Tk::RadiobuttonGroup, very nicely done.  Really
> couldn't spot anything I'd change.  As to why it never made it to
> CPAN, we'd have to know more details.  I assume you have an author ID
> opened.  I can't see anything offhand that looks improper.
> Essentially you do a "make dist" and xfer the result to PAUSE (or have
> PAUSE fetch the file for you).  From then on it's automatic, and you
> should get email from PAUSE.....

> Steve

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:31:14 GMT
 RadiobuttonGroup and CheckbuttonGroup

Quote:

> Thanks.  I am new to CPAN and this is really the first stuff I am
> making an effort to publish in an open source way, so I am learning.  I
> do have an author account and sent everything up to PAUSE as you said.
> The automated perl testing scripts choked on it though.

> This is the error I got.

> This is an error report generated automatically by CPANPLUS.
> Below is the error stack during 'make test':

> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
> 1..6
> ok 1
> couldn't connect to display ":0" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.
> MainWindow->new() at test.pl line 21
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255

> So it can't connect to an X server, which isn't my fault.  The testing
> machine is mostly like some headless box somewhere that wouldn't be
> running an X server, and even if it was, the testing cron jobs wouldn't
> get access to it by default.

> I am going to send out a reply and see what they say.  It could be a
> shortcoming of their testing environment.  It could be something I'm
> missing in test.pl, although I based mine on others I've seen.

You can just ignore this error messagw. I also get similar messages
for all my Tk modules. CPANPLUS should really test for "Tk::" in the
module name (and likewise "Gtk::", "Qt::" etc.) and skip the tests. Or
the automated test account should have a virtual X server (Xvfb)
running. Or, if there is no X running, there should be no Tk.pm
installed on the test system, so the PREREQ_PM => { Tk => 0 } line in
Makefile.PL should catch this.

Regards,
        Slaven

--

    BBBike - route planner for cyclists in Berlin
    WWW version:     http://www.bbbike.de

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:56:43 GMT

1. RadiobuttonGroup CheckbuttonGroup