Does Tk code display in a browser
Author Message
 Does Tk code display in a browser

I am a total novice having compiled Perl 5.005.2 Tk 8 on an IBM RS6000
running AIX 4.2 by following the simple INSTALL instructions provided.

I copied a small section of code from a tutorial on the perl site to display
a cyan box on screen.  If I execute the code from the console which is
running an X window interface the box displays as it should, If I attempt to
run the script from an IE5 browser I eventually get an error message.

I was hoping to use Tk to create greate web pages or have I totally missed
the plot???

Please be gentle with the replys!

Thanks in advance.

Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does Tk code display in a browser

Quote:

> I am a total novice having compiled Perl 5.005.2 Tk 8 on an IBM RS6000
> running AIX 4.2 by following the simple INSTALL instructions provided.

> I copied a small section of code from a tutorial on the perl site to display
> a cyan box on screen.  If I execute the code from the console which is
> running an X window interface the box displays as it should, If I attempt to
> run the script from an IE5 browser I eventually get an error message.

> I was hoping to use Tk to create greate web pages or have I totally missed
> the plot???

When you say you tried to run the script from a browser, does that mean you had
the script residing in a webserver's cgi-bin directory, and you attempted to
invoke the script as a URL typed into the browser's location field?

I'm afraid trying to get the Tk widgets to display themselves natively, over a
network and into a browser window, is something I've never heard of. That
doesn't mean someone hasn't written an interface that will do it. But if there
is one, it's probably pretty obscure.

You can use the 'Common Gateway Interface' (cgi) to invoke a Perl script
residing on your webserver, but it's got to stream back valid html code to the
webserver. So having Tk widget code in the Perl wouldn't do anything. Except,
as you say, generate error messages...

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does Tk code display in a browser

Quote:

> > I am a total novice having compiled Perl 5.005.2 Tk 8 on an IBM RS6000
> > running AIX 4.2 by following the simple INSTALL instructions provided.

> > I copied a small section of code from a tutorial on the perl site to display
> > a cyan box on screen.  If I execute the code from the console which is
> > running an X window interface the box displays as it should, If I attempt to
> > run the script from an IE5 browser I eventually get an error message.

> > I was hoping to use Tk to create greate web pages or have I totally missed
> > the plot???

> When you say you tried to run the script from a browser, does that mean you had
> the script residing in a webserver's cgi-bin directory, and you attempted to
> invoke the script as a URL typed into the browser's location field?

> I'm afraid trying to get the Tk widgets to display themselves natively, over a
> network and into a browser window, is something I've never heard of. That
> doesn't mean someone hasn't written an interface that will do it. But if there
> is one, it's probably pretty obscure.

> You can use the 'Common Gateway Interface' (cgi) to invoke a Perl script
> residing on your webserver, but it's got to stream back valid html code to the
> webserver. So having Tk widget code in the Perl wouldn't do anything. Except,
> as you say, generate error messages...

Take a look at
http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~sol0/ptk/ppl/ppl.html
this is proof that some people are just waayyy too smart, its amazing how far he
has come along.

Thu, 11 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does Tk code display in a browser

Quote:

> Take a look at
> http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~sol0/ptk/ppl/ppl.html
> this is proof that some people are just waayyy too smart, its amazing how far he
> has come along.

Zoiks! That's somethin' ain't it? Who knew...

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. parent code halts browser display until child process finishes

2. cgi-problem: internet explorer displays web-page - netscape displays source code

3. Displaying 10 MB data to browser

4. newbie: script only displays first line of text to the browser

5. file display in browser!

6. Displaying server side text in browser?

7. Perl module to display MIME email in browser?

8. can't display HTML file in browser

9. Displaying a browsers History using perl

10. newbie: script only displays first line of text to the browser

11. Perl script - display log file in browser

12. GD module, displaying an image in a browser