Perl/Tk on Windows 95
Author Message
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is what
I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

1. Downloaded and successfully installed ActivePerls binary distribution for
perl 5.005.
2. Downloaded and successfully installed Cygwin's full release B20.1 which
includes the following packages:
binutils, bison, byacc, dejagnu, diff, expect, flex, gas, gcc, gdb, itcl,
ld, libstdc++, make, patch, tcl, tix, tk(for tcl)

Now none of these really mean anything to me, as my computer knowledge is
quite limited, but I'm pretty sure I needed the "gcc" and "make" to build
Tk800.012.

3. Unzipped and untarred the Tk800.012.
4. Ran "perl Makefile.PL".
        Some errors such as:
Test compiling config/signedchar.c
Bad command or filename
Test compiling config/Ksprintf.c
Bad command or filename
etc.
then further down
Usage: xsubpp [-blah] [-C++] ......
then further down
Xlib
variable $self will not stay shared eval(6058)   line 22

the rest seemed to go OK

5. Ran "make" from Cygnus' BASH shell...which emulates a UNIX type
shell....with the following result....
"Makefile:1268: *** missing separator. Stop."

Any hints from ANYone would be appreciated.

Jack Dunnigan

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95
: I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
: thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is what
: I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

: 1. Downloaded and successfully installed ActivePerls binary distribution for
: perl 5.005.

ActiveState provides a binary distribution of Tk; just go 'install Tk' in
PPM (and wait for nearly 2 megs to download).

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
> thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is what
> I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

> 1. Downloaded and successfully installed ActivePerls binary distribution for
> perl 5.005.
> 2. Downloaded and successfully installed Cygwin's full release B20.1 which
> includes the following packages:
> binutils, bison, byacc, dejagnu, diff, expect, flex, gas, gcc, gdb, itcl,
> ld, libstdc++, make, patch, tcl, tix, tk(for tcl)

> Now none of these really mean anything to me, as my computer knowledge is
> quite limited, but I'm pretty sure I needed the "gcc" and "make" to build
> Tk800.012.

> 3. Unzipped and untarred the Tk800.012.
> 4. Ran "perl Makefile.PL".
>    Some errors such as:
> Test compiling config/signedchar.c
> Bad command or filename
> Test compiling config/Ksprintf.c
> Bad command or filename
> etc.
> then further down
> Usage: xsubpp [-blah] [-C++] ......
> then further down
> Xlib
> variable $self will not stay shared eval(6058)   line 22

> the rest seemed to go OK

> 5. Ran "make" from Cygnus' BASH shell...which emulates a UNIX type
> shell....with the following result....
> "Makefile:1268: *** missing separator. Stop."

I think that the Activestate port was compiled with Visual C++, and
compiling additional modules with any other compiler would not work.
It's probably best to compile the whole perl sources with cygwin, too.

Regards,
        Slaven

--
use Tk;$c=tkinit->Canvas->pack;$x=45;for(split/_/,'KPI1_+09IPK_K;-OA1_+K!;A__1;
Q!7G_1+QK_3CLPI90,_+K!;A_+1!KQ!.N_K+1Q!.F_1+KN.Q__1+KN._K+1Q!.F_1+KN.Q_+1Q__+1!

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
> thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is what
> I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

> 1. Downloaded and successfully installed ActivePerls binary distribution for
> perl 5.005.

Stop right there (-:  Open a DOS window and type:

ppm
ppm>install Tk
ppm>quit

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> I'm still
> confused. Are you saying that I don't even have to download Tk from CPAN?

Correct.

Quote:
> Because I couldn't find any Tk stuff at the ActiveState site?

PPM is installed with ActivePerl.   Run PPM as I noted, then type "help".
Then try, say, "search Tk".  Then, "install Tk".  Wait for 2-20 minutes
and Tk is installed...

PPM installs prebuilt Perl modules for Win32.

You can build Tk from source if you have a (the right) compiler and want to.

Quote:

--

Lehigh University Computing Center, USA

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95
I'm still
confused. Are you saying that I don't even have to download Tk from CPAN?
Because I couldn't find any Tk stuff at the ActiveState site?

Jack

> > I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
> > thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is
> what
> > I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

> > 1. Downloaded and successfully installed ActivePerls binary distribution
> for
> > perl 5.005.

> Stop right there (-:  Open a DOS window and type:

> ppm
> ppm>install Tk
> ppm>quit

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95
Thanks...that was easy !! Although it took me a while to figure out I
actually had to be ON line.

A few more questions if you have time:

1. Does ActiveState update the Tk binaries often? And when it comes time to
do another install/download...does it overwrite what is already installed?
2. If I want contributed modules from CPAN...I guess all I'm capable of
doing is copying the 'whatever.pm' file into the Tk directory, since I have
no "make" utility which will work. Is this correct?

Jack

> > confused. Are you saying that I don't even have to download Tk from
> CPAN?

> Correct.

> > Because I couldn't find any Tk stuff at the ActiveState site?

> PPM is installed with ActivePerl.   Run PPM as I noted, then type "help".
> Then try, say, "search Tk".  Then, "install Tk".  Wait for 2-20 minutes
> and Tk is installed...

> PPM installs prebuilt Perl modules for Win32.

> You can build Tk from source if you have a (the right) compiler and want
> to.

> > Jack

> > > ----------

> > > Sent:         January 22, 1999 04:35 AM
> > > To:   Dunnigan,Jack [Edm]
> > > Cc:   'Perl/Tk'
> > > Subject:      Re: Perl/Tk on Windows 95

> work, I
> > > what

> distribution
> > > for

> > > Stop right there (-:  Open a DOS window and type:

> > > ppm
> > > ppm>install Tk
> > > ppm>quit

> --

> Lehigh University Computing Center, USA

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95
I believe you will use the same approach for different
modules as you did with Tk.  You can search for the module,
or have ppm fetch a list and then do the 'ppm> install <module>
to have it fetched and installed just as Tk did.

Pretty handy eh.. :-)

 Monty

> Thanks...that was easy !! Although it took me a while to figure out I
> actually had to be ON line.

> A few more questions if you have time:

> 1. Does ActiveState update the Tk binaries often? And when it
> comes time to
> do another install/download...does it overwrite what is already installed?
> 2. If I want contributed modules from CPAN...I guess all I'm capable of
> doing is copying the 'whatever.pm' file into the Tk directory,
> since I have
> no "make" utility which will work. Is this correct?

> Jack
> > ----------

> > Sent:         January 22, 1999 01:53 PM
> > To:   Dunnigan,Jack [Edm]
> > Cc:   'Nick'; 'Perl/Tk'
> > Subject:      Re: Perl/Tk on Windows 95

> > > I'm still
> > > confused. Are you saying that I don't even have to download Tk from
> > CPAN?

> > Correct.

> > > Because I couldn't find any Tk stuff at the ActiveState site?

> > PPM is installed with ActivePerl.   Run PPM as I noted, then
> type "help".
> > Then try, say, "search Tk".  Then, "install Tk".  Wait for 2-20 minutes
> > and Tk is installed...

> > PPM installs prebuilt Perl modules for Win32.

> > You can build Tk from source if you have a (the right) compiler and want
> > to.

> > > Jack

> > work, I
> home. This is

> > distribution

> > --

> > Lehigh University Computing Center, USA

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> Thanks...that was easy !! Although it took me a while to figure out I
> actually had to be ON line.

> A few more questions if you have time:

> 1. Does ActiveState update the Tk binaries often? And when it comes time to
> do another install/download...does it overwrite what is already installed?
> 2. If I want contributed modules from CPAN...I guess all I'm capable of
> doing is copying the 'whatever.pm' file into the Tk directory, since I have
> no "make" utility which will work. Is this correct?

I think you can use "dmake" to install pure perl modules (without XS).
Note that you have to change the make entry in Config.pm from "nmake"
to "dmake".

Regards,
        Slaven

--
use Tk;$c=tkinit->Canvas->pack;$x=45;for(split/_/,'KPI1_+09IPK_K;-OA1_+K!;A__1;
Q!7G_1+QK_3CLPI90,_+K!;A_+1!KQ!.N_K+1Q!.F_1+KN.Q__1+KN._K+1Q!.F_1+KN.Q_+1Q__+1!
KQ!.N_1;Q!7G_K3,09Q_+1!K.Q_K+1Q!.F_1+KN.Q'){s/\n//g;for(split/!/){$c->create(
'line',map{$a=-43+ord;($x+($a>>3)*2,123+($a&7)*2)}split//)}$x+=12}MainLoop

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> I think, this is because I sit behind a corporate firewall. Is that right?

> And is there also a possibility to download a package and to install it
> offline on another computer afterwords?

Yes.  If you want to install off-line, you first need to download the
package.

http://www.activestate.com/packages/zips/

Then,

Quote:
> ppm

PPM> set repository /remove ActiveState Package Repository
PPM> set repository LOCAL /path/where/you/saved/your/package
PPM> install PACKAGE

'set' and 'help set' will be useful to you if you run into trouble.

--

(Any opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily those of IBM)

Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk on Windows 95

Quote:

> I'm still
> confused. Are you saying that I don't even have to download Tk from CPAN?
> Because I couldn't find any Tk stuff at the ActiveState site?

> Jack

> > ----------

> > Sent:         January 22, 1999 04:35 AM
> > To:   Dunnigan,Jack [Edm]
> > Cc:   'Perl/Tk'
> > Subject:      Re: Perl/Tk on Windows 95

> > > I've enjoyed working with perl/Tk so much on our UNIX system at work, I
> > > thought I'd try to build it on my Windows95 machine at home. This is
> > what
> > > I've done so far, hopefully someone can help with the Tk part.

Wrong question. Linux is the choice for "MY  machine at home".
:-)

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl tk for windows 95/NT systems

2. download site for perl tk on windows 95/nt systems

3. A curious problem with entry widgets in Perl/Tk for Windows 95

4. perl/tk on windows 95

5. Gif images in Perl/Tk for Windows 95

6. Perl/Tk for Windows 95

7. Problems with Tk::WaitBox with Perl v5.004_02 under Windows 95

8. Tk or similar module for Windows 95/NT?

9. Tk-bxx for Win32 (Windows 95) ?

10. Installing Perl on Windows 95 or Windows 98

11. Where can I get Perl for Windows NT or Windows 95

12. Relational database for Windows/Windows 95/NT