Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6
Author Message
 Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6

Warning: Here be Win95...
Each time I try one of these demos, via widget.bat, I get an error box:

Error: Goto undefined subroutine
&WidgetDemo::top at
C:\PERL\lib\site/Tk/Widget.pm line 297

Help?

--
Cheers,
Ron Savage

Web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~rpsavage

Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6

Quote:

>Warning: Here be Win95...
>Each time I try one of these demos, via widget.bat, I get an error box:

>Error: Goto undefined subroutine
>&WidgetDemo::top at
>C:\PERL\lib\site/Tk/Widget.pm line 297

>Help?

>--
>Cheers,
>Ron Savage

>Web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rpsavage

Sorry about that.  The subroutine is now named Top() - note case - so just
make the change....

Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6

[snip]

Thanks. That helped a lot. Now, I have some other problems...

a. Balloon
        - Balloons do not appear
        - The text box is white, not azure
        - In Balloon.pm, at line 91, I found {"client"} and had to change it to {"clients"}

b. DialogBox, DialogBox2
        Error: Invalid master window .widgetdemo.frame.dialogbox for .widgetdemo.frame.dialogbox
                at Submethods.pm line 34 at DialogBox.pm line 31

c. FileDialog
        Error: Invalid master window .widgetdemo.frame.dialogbox for .widgetdemo.frame.dialogbox
                at Submethods.pm line 34 at FileDialog.pm line 429

d. FileSelect
        - Error: Cannot opendir('C:'). Permission denied.
                I assume _all_ the code assumes a Unix machine?
        - If I change C:/* to C:/ (I think), and hit <enter>, Tk/the demo/whatever goes into a infinite
                loop...
e. Menus
        Error: Goto undefined subroutine &main::Menus at C:\PERL\Bin/widget.bat line 266
                I tried changing Menus to Menus2 everywhere, but to no avail.

f. Notebook
        (Upon dismiss) Error: Tk::NBFrame=HASH(...) is not a Tk object at NoteBook.pm line 105

Can you help?

--
Cheers,
Ron Savage

Web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rpsavage

Fri, 03 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6

Quote:

> I didn't see your original post, but a lot of the problems with
> Balloon, DialogBox and NoteBook have been fixed in later versions.
> Upgrading perl/Tk might help.
> --

>         We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.

Thanks for your comment. I'm using Perl/Tk 402.002.
Later versions on CPAN are (from memory) 403 & 800.
Their readmes say they are betas, for testing, not production.
So, I won't upgrade yet.

--
Cheers,
Ron Savage

Web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rpsavage

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tk demos in the Perl Journal # 6

Quote:

>> I didn't see your original post, but a lot of the problems with
>> Balloon, DialogBox and NoteBook have been fixed in later versions.
>> Upgrading perl/Tk might help.
>> --

>>         We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.

>Thanks for your comment. I'm using Perl/Tk 402.002.
>Later versions on CPAN are (from memory) 403 & 800.
>Their readmes say they are betas, for testing, not production.
>So, I won't upgrade yet.

All the "real" bugs are gone - I'm running Perl 5.004_64 and Tk800.005.
Tk is a "high quality beta", sufficiently robust that I have it
running production.

The remaining "virtual bugs" are some demos won't run at all because
those widgets are no longer part of the core Tk distribution:

        Axis, Dial, FileDialog, Pod, Waitbox

You can get those .pm file from the Perl/Tk home page (I haven't actually
tried them):

        http://www.connect.net/gbarr/PerlTk

HList runs but you can't "See Code" because of it's chdir() games..

And yes, at the time there was no WIN32 Tk so FileSelect is Unux-centric.

Suggestion:  fetch latest Tk and install privately.

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl 5.001 + Tk: broken demo, broken evaluation?

2. perl/tk demos/examples

3. Tk widget demo crash

4. Tk-b8 basic demo (+ installing packages, in general)

5. floor.pl example in tk-demos

6. Tk-b9.01 demo errors

7. Tk-b8 basic demo (+ installing packages, in general)

8. Tk demo scripts: what is "dpos"??

9. Tk Table demo required

10. TriD Tk demo

11. Additional demo for Tk::HList

12. The Perl Journal contest #2: Obfuscated Perl