Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk
Author Message
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

I have been looking at Perl/Tk and tcl/Tk.  I just want to make sure I am
correct on this.  Perl/Tk runs in XWindows where tcl/Tk runs through a
web browser.. correct?

--
                   '''
                  (o o)

  |    B O D i E S  i N  M o T i O N    |
  `----------------------oOOO-----------'
                 |__|__|
                  || ||
                 ooO Ooo

Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

Quote:
>I have been looking at Perl/Tk and tcl/Tk.  I just want to make sure I am
>correct on this.  Perl/Tk runs in XWindows where tcl/Tk runs through a
>web browser.. correct?

No.  Both are multi-platform stand-alone or web plugin languages.  Tk is
more up-to-date with Tcl because that is the original development language
(see http://sunscript.sun.com/), but Perl/Tk keeps up the best it can.
See http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tcl/faqs/ which has pointers to
all known faqs related to Tcl/Tk (including Perl/Tk).

--

  Software Engineer, Oregon R&D        office: 541.683.7891
  CADIX International, Inc.            fax:    541.683.8325

Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

:No.  Both are multi-platform stand-alone or web plugin languages.  Tk is

I'd love to find the code for perl/tk plugins.  Anyone have a reference
for it?  The only place I ever found a reference to a plug in related to perl
was an apparently dead project which required one to try to build opengl on
their platform.

Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

: >I have been looking at Perl/Tk and tcl/Tk.  I just want to make sure I am
: >correct on this.  Perl/Tk runs in XWindows where tcl/Tk runs through a
: >web browser.. correct?

: Not correct.

: Tcl/Tk runs on Unix (virtually all variants, as with Perl) + X, Windows 3.1/95/NT
: and Macintosh.  It runs as a standalone application (tclsh (Tcl only) or wish),
: or may be embedded into a (legacy) application.

: Tcl/Tk also happens to have a Netscape/MSIE plugin, where you can run "Tclets"
: in your Web page.

: I hope that clarifies the matter.

Not really, now I am more confused.. I just want a clear answer, if I used
perl/tk , not tcl/tk, would I be able to use perl/tk in a web browser?

--
              '''                    ______      _____
             (o o)                 /_____ /\   /_____ /|  / \        /|

| B O D i E S  i N  M o T i O N | |   __  \/|   |  | |   |  \    /  | |
`-------------------oOOO--------' |  |__|  |/  /|  |/ /| |  | \//|  | |
            |__|__|               |_______/   |______|/  |__|/   |__|/
            ooO Ooo               //////   ////////   ////    ////

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

:Not really, now I am more confused.. I just want a clear answer, if I used
:perl/tk , not tcl/tk, would I be able to use perl/tk in a web browser?

No

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

:>I have been looking at Perl/Tk and tcl/Tk.  I just want to make sure I am
:>correct on this.  Perl/Tk runs in XWindows where tcl/Tk runs through a
:>web browser.. correct?
:
:Not correct.
:
:Tcl/Tk runs on Unix (virtually all variants, as with Perl) + X, Windows 3.1/95/NT
:and Macintosh.  It runs as a standalone application (tclsh (Tcl only) or wish),
:or may be embedded into a (legacy) application.
:
:Tcl/Tk also happens to have a Netscape/MSIE plugin, where you can run "Tclets"
:in your Web page.

Note that the Tcl plugin is available for more than Unix/X environment, as
is Tcl/Tk itself.

There are plans for future support of Windows and Mac for Perl/Tk.

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

Quote:
>I have been looking at Perl/Tk and tcl/Tk.  I just want to make sure I am
>correct on this.  Perl/Tk runs in XWindows where tcl/Tk runs through a
>web browser.. correct?

Not correct.

Tcl/Tk runs on Unix (virtually all variants, as with Perl) + X, Windows 3.1/95/NT
and Macintosh.  It runs as a standalone application (tclsh (Tcl only) or wish),
or may be embedded into a (legacy) application.

Tcl/Tk also happens to have a Netscape/MSIE plugin, where you can run "Tclets"
in your Web page.

I hope that clarifies the matter.

Steve Ball
--

Ph. +61 6 2495146                               http://www.*-*-*.com/
Snail-mail: Canberra ACT 0200, AUSTRALIA

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

2. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

3. opinions on tcl/tk vs perl/tk

4. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

5. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

6. Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

7. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

8. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

9. Perl/tk vs Tcl

10. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?

11. starting Tcl/Tk from perl/Tk

12. tcl/tk->perl/tk translator