Launching a text base editor via ptk
Author Message
 Launching a text base editor via ptk

I need to launch a texteditor through pTk and have no idea how to go
about doing so.

Has anyone any idea, say I'm launching vi, how can I have it on a
top-level window, shell, canvas or whatever?

Help much appreciated, and needed.  THANKS!

Ray Ho

Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Launching a text base editor via ptk

Quote:

>I need to launch a texteditor through pTk and have no idea how to go
>about doing so.
>Has anyone any idea, say I'm launching vi, how can I have it on a
>top-level window, shell, canvas or whatever?

One easy way to do this is

system("xterm -e vi $filename");

This will open an xterm running vi. When the user exits vi, the
xterm will terminate also.

Jerry Monsen

--
Regards,

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Launching a text base editor via ptk

Quote:

>>I need to launch a texteditor through pTk and have no idea how to go
>>about doing so.

>>Has anyone any idea, say I'm launching vi, how can I have it on a
>>top-level window, shell, canvas or whatever?

>One easy way to do this is

>system("xterm -e vi $filename");

>This will open an xterm running vi. When the user exits vi, the
>xterm will terminate also.

>Jerry Monsen

>--
>Regards,

Or one could try:

 system("toy_edit $filename");

where "toy_edit" is a (deceptively named!) Perl/Tk application (in the
Tk-b11.02 directory).

Peter Prymmer

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Launching a text base editor via ptk

Quote:

> Or one could try:

>  system("toy_edit $filename");

> where "toy_edit" is a (deceptively named!) Perl/Tk application (in the
> Tk-b11.02 directory).

It is not as 'toy' as it was but still lacks features compared
with my 'real' editor ;-)

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. windows based text editor?

2. MSDOS Window when launching ptk application

3. Converting text based script to GUI based

4. Converting text based script to GUI based

5. PC-based editors for Perl?

6. ANNOUNCE: Text::Filter - base class to read and write text lines

7. PC-based editors for Perl?

8. Need Browser Based HTML Editor

9. Perl-based Editor Extension

10. ptk vs pTk vs PTK

11. ptk hangs when dialog displayed and main window killed via wm

12. Extending a ptk class via inheritance