what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?
Author Message
 what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?

Hello,

        I'm really a newbie and biologist !
        I need a serious help from getting confused of what are different
        terms : Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk bioTk bioTkperl
        Tk402 andTk4.0, etc.

        Thank you very much to the community.
        Nuch

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?

Quote:

> Hello,

>         I'm really a newbie and biologist !
>         I need a serious help from getting confused of what are different
>         terms : Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk bioTk bioTkperl
>         Tk402 andTk4.0, etc.

>         Thank you very much to the community.
>         Nuch

Yes it is confusing.  Tk all by itself often refers to the *T*ool*k*it
GUI extension to either the Tcl programming language (Tcl/Tk) or
other programming languages such as python (Python/Tk) or Perl
(Perl/Tk).  The bioTk package is primarily a Tcl/Tk software kit, but
there is a Perl/Tk version of bioTk (I think it is called bioTkperl).
Some people prefer the Tcl programming language and some people prefer
the Perl programming language.  If you won't do a lot of programming
your self but merely want the bioTk* functionality then you'll need to
decide based on the web pages which you prefer.

Since you apparently work at a genetics institute you might be
interested in the other perl scripts having to do with sequencing data
analysis that were written in Perl and discussed by Lincoln Stein in the
Perl Journal recently.  (See http://www.tpj.com/ for back issue ordering
information).  I am afraid I don't know enough about genetics packages
written in Tcl to comment on them - but you may wish to peruse Larry
Virden's excellent and extensive FAQ on the topic.
Start with:

  http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part1.html

By the way, the Perl/Tk FAQ would help primarily with building and
installing the Tk extension to Perl (should you want to use it):

  http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/ptk/ptkFAQ.html

Good luck.

Peter Prymmer

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl Tk::DragDrop (comp.lang.perl.tk has not responded)

2. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

3. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

4. Perl/Tk SEGV core dump (Perl 5.6.0, Tk 800.022)

5. Perl/Tk->Perl/Tk IDE/RAD

6. Perl/Tk Packages (Was: RE: (More) Problems Installing Perl/Tk)

7. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

8. tkperl vs. tk for GUI to perl script

9. Need HELP learning Perl/Tk (TkPerl, PerlTk,...

10. tkperl (Tk/perl), sockets ...

11. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?