minimum system reqs
Author Message
 minimum system reqs

hey there,

i was just wondering what the most minimalistic minimum system
requirements (hardware and software-wise) for perl/Tk apps are...what is
the smallest possible footprint of linux that can run them, and what is
the minimum hardware needed for that?

i looked around the net, but only found rather vague descriptions, which
never really answered BOTH of these questions....

hope somebody can help,

M.

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:47:28 GMT
 minimum system reqs

Quote:
> hey there,

> i was just wondering what the most minimalistic minimum system
> requirements (hardware and software-wise) for perl/Tk apps are...what is
> the smallest possible footprint of linux that can run them, and what is
> the minimum hardware needed for that?

It depends. I started with Perl/TK on a 486DX-50 with 16MB. Todays
perl and Tk are probably more memory-demanding, but I have no problems
with running Perl/Tk on an iPAQ 3660 (200 MHz ARM processor, 64 MB
total RAM, half of the RAM is reserved for /tmp). Although fancy
canvas stuff is somewhat slow, because the iPAQ has no FPU.

Quote:
> i looked around the net, but only found rather vague descriptions, which
> never really answered BOTH of these questions....

Regards,
        Slaven

--

    tkruler - Perl/Tk program for measuring screen distances
    http://ptktools.sourceforge.net/#tkruler

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:06:25 GMT
 minimum system reqs

Quote:
> It depends. I started with Perl/TK on a 486DX-50 with 16MB. Todays
> perl and Tk are probably more memory-demanding, but I have no problems
> with running Perl/Tk on an iPAQ 3660 (200 MHz ARM processor, 64 MB
> total RAM, half of the RAM is reserved for /tmp). Although fancy
> canvas stuff is somewhat slow, because the iPAQ has no FPU.

thanks a lot - that kinda cheers me up...but what about the
software-side? is there a REALLY minimalistic X-server around, that
doesn't have to do anything except rendering my little Tk-thingy?

M.

P.S.: (perlmonks couldn't help me): is there a way to move the mouse
pointer around from perl? some dearMrXServerPleasePutThePointerTo(x,z)
function?

Quote:

>>i looked around the net, but only found rather vague descriptions, which
>>never really answered BOTH of these questions....

> Regards,
>    Slaven

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:20:26 GMT
 minimum system reqs

Quote:
> > It depends. I started with Perl/TK on a 486DX-50 with 16MB. Todays
> > perl and Tk are probably more memory-demanding, but I have no problems
> > with running Perl/Tk on an iPAQ 3660 (200 MHz ARM processor, 64 MB
> > total RAM, half of the RAM is reserved for /tmp). Although fancy
> > canvas stuff is somewhat slow, because the iPAQ has no FPU.

> thanks a lot - that kinda cheers me up...but what about the
> software-side? is there a REALLY minimalistic X-server around, that
> doesn't have to do anything except rendering my little Tk-thingy?

The X package for the iPAQ takes about 4 MB of flash memory and a
running X server starts at 2 MB RAM (and grows if you have a lot of
images loaded).

Quote:
> M.

> P.S.: (perlmonks couldn't help me): is there a way to move the mouse
> pointer around from perl? some dearMrXServerPleasePutThePointerTo(x,z)
> function?

It should be possible with eventGenerate and -warp => 1

Regards,
        Slaven

--

    babybike - routeplanner for cyclists in Berlin
               handheld (e.g. Compaq iPAQ with Linux) version of bbbike

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:10:10 GMT

1. minimum PERL installation???

2. Minimum UNIX setup ?

3. minimum PERL installation???

4. Minimum perl ?

5. Q: Active Perl redistributable MINIMUM?

6. Win32: which files as minimum distribution?

7. Socket Q: Minimum listen queue size

8. minimum PERL installation???

9. Perl Minimum Install

10. Oracle minimum install for perl DBI on Linux

11. Minimum perl installation