Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk
Author Message
 Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

Hello,

I have used Tcl/Tk (plus linking with c++), but never used perl/Tk.
How do they compare ? Anyone knows the advantages/disadvantages ?  Are
there rapid development tools (like visual Tcl/Tk) for perl/Tk ?
Any comments or feedback is appreciated.

Arman

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

Quote:

> I have used Tcl/Tk (plus linking with c++), but never used perl/Tk.
> How do they compare ? Anyone knows the advantages/disadvantages ?  Are
> there rapid development tools (like visual Tcl/Tk) for perl/Tk ?
> Any comments or feedback is appreciated.

I've used both for several years.  The advantages of Perl/Tk are:
+ the handling of widgets as references rather than names;
+ the ability to store widget variables in the hashes, rather
  than having to create globals;
+ a more fully-developed technique for deriving composite widgets.

On the other hand, the primary advantage of Tcl/Tk is that it has
a clean API, which makes it easy to embed in applications written
in C or C++.

--
David Thomas           (to reply, replace 'INVALID' with 'ti.com')
Texas Instruments, Houston                          (281)-274-2347

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. opinions on tcl/tk vs perl/tk

2. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

3. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

4. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

5. Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

6. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

7. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

8. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

9. Perl/tk vs Tcl

10. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?

11. starting Tcl/Tk from perl/Tk

12. tcl/tk->perl/tk translator