Perl/Tk - what is the goal? 
Author Message
 Perl/Tk - what is the goal?

I am a big fan of Perl/Tk
but do I wonder what the ultimate
goal is.   There is formidable
competition from the fancy dancy
things on Win32 like Visual Basic
and various "automatic" GUI builders
of Java (of which i have scant knowledge).
I heard that Visual Basic
may be ported to Unix at some point.
Is it that these "GUI builders" are
good at static forms and such but that
dynamic GUIs are another matter?

Could the leading lights of the
Perl/Tk community make some comparisons
to the competing products and outline their
vision for the wonderful tool they are creating?
==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the



Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl/Tk - what is the goal?

: I am a big fan of Perl/Tk
: but do I wonder what the ultimate
: goal is.   There is formidable
: competition from the fancy dancy
: things on Win32 like Visual Basic
: and various "automatic" GUI builders
: of Java (of which i have scant knowledge).
: I heard that Visual Basic
: may be ported to Unix at some point.
: Is it that these "GUI builders" are
: good at static forms and such but that
: dynamic GUIs are another matter?

: Could the leading lights of the
: Perl/Tk community make some comparisons
: to the competing products and outline their
: vision for the wonderful tool they are creating?

  If there was a good IDE for Perl/Tk it would help (specPerl doesn't cut
  it).  I have a hard time convincing VB users to try Perl when they have to
  work in a text editor.  Maybe somebody will write a nice IDE in Java.  :)



Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl/Tk - what is the goal?

spoke unto us, saying:

[ snip ]

Quote:
>  If there was a good IDE for Perl/Tk it would help (specPerl doesn't cut
>  it).  I have a hard time convincing VB users to try Perl when they have to
>  work in a text editor.  Maybe somebody will write a nice IDE in Java.  :)

A good argument for VB users is string handling, i.e., regular expressions.
As a VB (4 years) and Perl (8+ months and growing!) programmer, it didn't take
me long to discover what I could achieve in Perl vs VB.


-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
Version 3.1
GB d+(-) s: a C++ UL+>++ P+++$ L++>+++ E--- W+ N++ o K? w-- O? M-- V--
PS+ PE Y+ PGP? t+ 5 X? R? tv+ b+++ DI++ D+ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK ------



Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl/Tk - what is the goal?

I have the following needs:
- parse very large files (10-20MB)
- script complicated EDA flows
- RPC to distribute regression sims across all servers on the network
    (a poor man's LSF)
- GUI to simplify controlling EDA flow and parsing files
    (use the hierarchical list so people can open/close sections of files)
- have the source code be portable between NT and Solaris

I haven't seen VB be able to do several of those; especially run on Solaris.

Quote:


> spoke unto us, saying:

> [ snip ]

> >  If there was a good IDE for Perl/Tk it would help (specPerl doesn't cut
> >  it).  I have a hard time convincing VB users to try Perl when they have to
> >  work in a text editor.  Maybe somebody will write a nice IDE in Java.  :)

> A good argument for VB users is string handling, i.e., regular expressions.
> As a VB (4 years) and Perl (8+ months and growing!) programmer, it didn't take
> me long to discover what I could achieve in Perl vs VB.


> -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
> Version 3.1
> GB d+(-) s: a C++ UL+>++ P+++$ L++>+++ E--- W+ N++ o K? w-- O? M-- V--
> PS+ PE Y+ PGP? t+ 5 X? R? tv+ b+++ DI++ D+ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
> -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK ------

  ejessen.vcf
< 1K Download


Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl/Tk - what is the goal?

Quote:

> I have the following needs:
> - parse very large files (10-20MB)
> - script complicated EDA flows
> - RPC to distribute regression sims across all servers on the network
>     (a poor man's LSF)
> - GUI to simplify controlling EDA flow and parsing files
>     (use the hierarchical list so people can open/close sections of files)
> - have the source code be portable between NT and Solaris

You should have no problem accomplishing all of these goals with Perl
and Perl/Tk. Parsing very large files is easily doable, and "There's
More Than One Way To Do It". Which way you choose will depend on your
priorities (speed, available memory/swap, etc.).

Scripting EDA flows -- I'm not exactly sure what an EDA flow is :-), but
if it's scripting you want, I think picking a language that took its
first steps as a scripting language might be a good choice :-) Remember
-- "eval" is your friend.

GUI -- Perl/Tk. There is a hierarchical listbox control, if that's your
fancy. There are also a great variety of other controls, including an
object-oriented canvas (my personal favorite, as I am quite sick of
listboxes, hierarchical or otherwise :-) All hail the Direct
Manipulation UI!)

Source is portable between NT, Solaris, Win95, Linux, OS/400, yatta
yatta yatta. Of course, you will do well to understand which facilities
are well-supported under all of your intended target platforms. However,
in general, portability is quite easy to achieve, especially if you are
not engaging in non-Perl wizardry (ie: taking advantage of OS-specific
facilities).

As for your RPC, there are many solutions to this, as well. The most
straightforward, though "dangerous" from a security perspective is to
squirt code strings across sockets and eval them on the farside. Check
out Advanced Perl Programming available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922204/perspeximagework/

It has tons on creative uses of Perl. Though I've not yet had a chance
to review it (my copy has "shipped", and should arrive imminently),
you'll also do well to check out the new Learning Perl/Tk:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565923146/perspeximagework/

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. +

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "Pinky, I'd smite you if victory weren't so close at hand."  -  The
Brain



Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. using Net::SSH (goal: automatic scripts)

2. what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?

3. Need Perl help, but I am not a Perl Monger

4. perl Tk::DragDrop (comp.lang.perl.tk has not responded)

5. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

6. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

7. Perl/Tk SEGV core dump (Perl 5.6.0, Tk 800.022)

8. Perl/Tk->Perl/Tk IDE/RAD

9. Perl/Tk Packages (Was: RE: (More) Problems Installing Perl/Tk)

10. Perl/TK is there a W9X binairy of Perl/TK

11. ppm fails now that I am on perl 5.6

12. newbie-perl or why am i blind to this simple

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software