Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard
Author Message
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

I've got a Tk::Wizard here.

Version 1.0 was by Daniel T Hable, posted to PerlMonks.
Version 1.01 I've just put on CPAN, with 1.02 almost up.

What do you think about the namesapce?

The 'PAUSE' admin brian_d_foy would like to know!  His mail
to me, and my reply, are below: your feedback would be
much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
lee goddard

Quote:

> > > The following module was proposed for inclusion in the Module List:

> > >i know that "wizard" has special meaning to Windows folks,
> > >but doesn't it apply to more than just software installation?

> > Brian...!  Are you suggesting 'etc' isn't precise enough?!

> i suppose it is.

> this seems more like an application than a widget.  what have
> other Tk folks said about the namespace?

I inherited the namespace from the initial author, Daniel T Hable,
and saw no good reason to change it. Recently mentioned the module
on the ActiveState Win32-users list, to no adverse comment.
Dan's script has been on Perl Monks for ten months now, and no-one
has commented on the namesapce (or much else).

It's a wizard and it uses Tk: Tk::Wizard seems an obvious choice.

It's not really an application, since it can't be directly applied,
only implemented.

Whether or not it's a widget, I don't really feel in a position
to say: I've only been Tk'ing for a week or so. I'd hoped that the
more publicity it got, the more feedback I'd get, and the more
it can fit the Perl/Tk model.

Do you (or anyone on the list) a suggestion for another namespace?

(This is cc'd to comp.lang.perl.tk)

Thanks,
lee

Lee Goddard, BA(Hons), MSc AI (Sussex)
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Direcotr: Little Bits Ltd - Perl / Java / XML / HTML Contractors
Inc. in England #4006170; VAT #755-0139-42

Sat, 14 May 2005 04:03:13 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:
> I've got a Tk::Wizard here.

> Version 1.0 was by Daniel T Hable, posted to PerlMonks.
> Version 1.01 I've just put on CPAN, with 1.02 almost up.

> What do you think about the namesapce?

> The 'PAUSE' admin brian_d_foy would like to know!  His mail
> to me, and my reply, are below: your feedback would be
> much appreciated.

Hello Lee;

Tk::Wizard, hmm, seems self-explanatory to me. It would be nice to check out the
module in action to 'see' if it fits the description. I did a copy and paste
from the perlmonks web page, and keep getting errors. i.e. I still don't have a
"Wizard" working yet.

Can you either post your 1.01 code here - or - alternatively e-mail me privately
(along with maybe a sample script :-). I can't find it on CPAN - obviously
because of the namespace delay.

Jack
PS..BTW - This is one vote "for" the namespace Tk::Wizard.

Sat, 14 May 2005 06:49:41 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> > I've got a Tk::Wizard here.

> > Version 1.0 was by Daniel T Hable, posted to PerlMonks.
> > Version 1.01 I've just put on CPAN, with 1.02 almost up.

> > What do you think about the namesapce?

> > The 'PAUSE' admin brian_d_foy would like to know!  His mail
> > to me, and my reply, are below: your feedback would be
> > much appreciated.

> Hello Lee;

> Tk::Wizard, hmm, seems self-explanatory to me. It would be nice to check out the
> module in action to 'see' if it fits the description. I did a copy and paste
> from the perlmonks web page, and keep getting errors. i.e. I still don't have a
> "Wizard" working yet.

> Can you either post your 1.01 code here - or - alternatively e-mail me privately
> (along with maybe a sample script :-). I can't find it on CPAN - obviously
> because of the namespace delay.

> Jack
> PS..BTW - This is one vote "for" the namespace Tk::Wizard.

Thanks, Jack!

Tk::Wizard has finally propogated through CPAN, and can be found at
http://search.cpan.org/author/LGODDARD/Tk-Wizard-1.01/Wizard.pm

Version 1.02 is here with me, and I'll be putting that up soon, too.

The only problems I have are that I'm a novice Tk programmer; though
experienced in Perl, it's taking a while to get the hang of formatting
Tk.  Like ... how do I fix my MainWindow size even if the content does
not fill it...?  I'll start another thread for that, though!

Cheers!
Lee

Sat, 14 May 2005 16:54:47 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

>> > I've got a Tk::Wizard here.

>> > Version 1.0 was by Daniel T Hable, posted to PerlMonks.
>> > Version 1.01 I've just put on CPAN, with 1.02 almost up.

>> > What do you think about the namesapce?

I'd like to comment, but .. (;

I finally have the source, but since it's just source, the only way I can
possibly test it is to excise the example from the pod, but it doesnt't
work for a variety of reasons.... So, it would be really nice if you could
package it up like other CPAN modules.... or, at the very least, how about
a tar/zip/whatever with real working code, including images, copyright
text files, etc, so we could see what the thing is all about?

I suspect we do want to rename it though....
Thanks,

Steve

Sat, 14 May 2005 21:57:51 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

>> > I've got a Tk::Wizard here.

>> > Version 1.0 was by Daniel T Hable, posted to PerlMonks.
>> > Version 1.01 I've just put on CPAN, with 1.02 almost up.

>> > What do you think about the namesapce?

It's fine with me.

But what happens when people want to upload dedicated wizard that
would use your Tk::Wizard ? What name should they use ? Something like
Tk::Wizard::DoSomething or Tk::DoSomething::Wizard ?

For instance, if a wizard widget to configure CPAN is written.
Would such a module be named Tk::Wizard::CpanConfig or
Tk::CpanConfig::Wizard ?

In my opinion, we should :
- Keep Tk::Wizard as a 'base' widget
- Use Tk::Wizard::DoSomething name for widget derived from Tk::Wizard

If people agree on that:
- I'll register the Tk::Wizard name in the module list.
- I'll ask Lee to mention the rule to name widgets derived from
  Tk::Wizard in hos documentation.

Quote:
> The only problems I have are that I'm a novice Tk programmer; though

This is not a problem ;-) Thanks for sharing your code. I hope that
you'll get a lot of feedback and patches.

Cheers

--

Sat, 14 May 2005 18:35:01 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> It's fine with me.

> But what happens when people want to upload dedicated wizard that
> would use your Tk::Wizard ? What name should they use ? Something like
> Tk::Wizard::DoSomething or Tk::DoSomething::Wizard ?

> For instance, if a wizard widget to configure CPAN is written.
> Would such a module be named Tk::Wizard::CpanConfig or
> Tk::CpanConfig::Wizard ?

> In my opinion, we should :
> - Keep Tk::Wizard as a 'base' widget
> - Use Tk::Wizard::DoSomething name for widget derived from Tk::Wizard

> If people agree on that:

I agree.

Quote:

--

Tk-AppMaster: a perl/Tk module launcher designed for handhelds
        http://tk-appmaster.sf.net

Sun, 15 May 2005 03:50:33 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> I'd like to comment, but .. (;

> I finally have the source, but since it's just source, the only way I can
> possibly test it is to excise the example from the pod, but it doesnt't
> work for a variety of reasons.... So, it would be really nice if you could
> package it up like other CPAN modules.... or, at the very least, how about
> a tar/zip/whatever with real working code, including images, copyright
> text files, etc, so we could see what the thing is all about?

I guess that the module is still a 'c' (under construction) but that
does not prevent to choose a good name and register it in the module
list.

Quote:
> I suspect we do want to rename it though....

Why ? What's the problem with Tk::Wizard and names of derived objects
I suggested (Tk::Wizard::DoSomething) ?

Cheers

--

Sun, 15 May 2005 18:53:23 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

>> I'd like to comment, but .. (;

>> I finally have the source, but since it's just source, the only way I can
>> possibly test it is to excise the example from the pod, but it doesnt't
>> work for a variety of reasons.... So, it would be really nice if you could
>> package it up like other CPAN modules.... or, at the very least, how about
>> a tar/zip/whatever with real working code, including images, copyright
>> text files, etc, so we could see what the thing is all about?
> I guess that the module is still a 'c' (under construction) but that
> does not prevent to choose a good name and register it in the module
> list.
>> I suspect we do want to rename it though....
> Why ? What's the problem with Tk::Wizard and names of derived objects
> I suggested (Tk::Wizard::DoSomething) ?

I didn't say there was anything wrong, only that I *suspected* -
because I was unable to actually see the thing in action, and
so didn't feel I could say anything ....

Sun, 15 May 2005 21:01:50 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> I'd like to comment, but .. (;

> I finally have the source, but since it's just source, the only way I can
> possibly test it is to excise the example from the pod, but it doesnt't
> work for a variety of reasons.... So, it would be really nice if you could
> package it up like other CPAN modules.... or, at the very least, how about
> a tar/zip/whatever with real working code, including images, copyright
> text files, etc, so we could see what the thing is all about?

> I suspect we do want to rename it though....
> Thanks,

> Steve

Thanks for your feedback, Steve. Naturally I disagree with you about the name!
What would you suggest, and what would your reasons be?

As for examples: my apologies: please find the second version on CPAN as
of last night (if I remember rightly). There's a working toy exmaple too, but
there *may* be a typo in one place: it's obvious when you see it, if there is.

Thank again,
lee

Sun, 15 May 2005 23:39:57 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> It's fine with me.

> But what happens when people want to upload dedicated wizard that
> would use your Tk::Wizard ? What name should they use ? Something like
> Tk::Wizard::DoSomething or Tk::DoSomething::Wizard ?

> For instance, if a wizard widget to configure CPAN is written.
> Would such a module be named Tk::Wizard::CpanConfig or
> Tk::CpanConfig::Wizard ?

> In my opinion, we should :
> - Keep Tk::Wizard as a 'base' widget
> - Use Tk::Wizard::DoSomething name for widget derived from Tk::Wizard

> If people agree on that:
> - I'll register the Tk::Wizard name in the module list.
> - I'll ask Lee to mention the rule to name widgets derived from
>   Tk::Wizard in hos documentation.

> > The only problems I have are that I'm a novice Tk programmer; though

> This is not a problem ;-) Thanks for sharing your code. I hope that
> you'll get a lot of feedback and patches.

> Cheers

It's been a hectic couple of days here: just wanted to publically say
yes, and thank you.

Cheers
lee

Sun, 15 May 2005 23:41:26 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

>> I'd like to comment, but .. (;

>> I finally have the source, but since it's just source, the only way I can
>> possibly test it is to excise the example from the pod, but it doesnt't
>> work for a variety of reasons.... So, it would be really nice if you could
>> package it up like other CPAN modules.... or, at the very least, how about
>> a tar/zip/whatever with real working code, including images, copyright
>> text files, etc, so we could see what the thing is all about?

>> I suspect we do want to rename it though....
>> Thanks,

>> Steve
> Thanks for your feedback, Steve. Naturally I disagree with you about the name!
> What would you suggest, and what would your reasons be?

I only said I'd like to see an example of what the code does before
commenting, but *suspected* - without evidence/examples - a change
*might* be desired.  I've gone through namespace battles with brian before,
and he usually has good reasons for suggesting a change (;

Quote:
> As for examples: my apologies: please find the second version on CPAN as
> of last night (if I remember rightly). There's a working toy exmaple too, but
> there *may* be a typo in one place: it's obvious when you see it, if there is.

No apologies required, of course.... will hunt for the example now....

Thanks,

Sun, 15 May 2005 23:52:27 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard
Subject: CPAN Upload: L/LG/LGODDARD/Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz

The uploaded file

    Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/L/LG/LGODDARD/Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz
  size: 54920 bytes
   md5: 6a5b56de9cdec5a70a451f964ab41492

No action is required on your part
Request entered by: LGODDARD (Lee Goddard)
Request entered on: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:27:14 GMT
Request completed:  Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:27:45 GMT

        Virtually Yours,
        Id: paused,v 1.81 2002/08/02 11:34:24 k Exp k

Mon, 16 May 2005 00:32:41 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> Subject: CPAN Upload: L/LG/LGODDARD/Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz

> The uploaded file

>     Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz

> has entered CPAN as

>   file: $CPAN/authors/id/L/LG/LGODDARD/Tk-Wizard-1.0211.tar.gz
>   size: 54920 bytes
>    md5: 6a5b56de9cdec5a70a451f964ab41492

> No action is required on your part
> Request entered by: LGODDARD (Lee Goddard)
> Request entered on: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:27:14 GMT
> Request completed:  Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:27:45 GMT

>    Virtually Yours,
>    Id: paused,v 1.81 2002/08/02 11:34:24 k Exp k

Rats, as I send comments a new version is propagating..... I will
examine it when I can see it.  In any case, regarding the previous
1.0200 version, this is a minimal patch for Tk::Wizard to run under
Unix:

diff -r -u Tk-Wizard-1.02.orig/Tk/Wizard.pm Tk-Wizard-1.02/Tk/Wizard.pm
--- Tk-Wizard-1.02.orig/Tk/Wizard.pm    Wed Nov 27 13:41:40 2002

  =cut

+our $system_button_face = $^O eq 'MSWin32' ? 'SystemButtonFace' :
'white';
+

     my $class = ref( $invocant) || $invocant;

                 $self->{left_object}->packForget;
         }
         if ($self->{wizardPagePtr}==1 and $self->{wizardPagePtr} !=
$#{$self->{wizardPageList}}){
-               $self->{wizwin}->configure(-background
=>"SystemButtonFace");
+               $self->{wizwin}->configure(-background =>
$system_button_face);
         } elsif ($self->{wizardPagePtr} == $#{$self->{wizardPageList}}){
                 $self->{wizwin}->configure(-background =>"white");

         )->pack( -side => 'right', -anchor => 'w', -padx=>'10', );

         $frame->Button( -text => "Desktop",
-               command => sub {
+               -command => sub {
                         ${$args->{-variable}} =
"$ENV{USERPROFILE}/Desktop";
                         $dirs->configure(-directory =>
"$ENV{USERPROFILE}/Desktop");
                         $dirs->chdir("$ENV{USERPROFILE}/Desktop");

I'd classify this as a "required" patch, especially the -command  mod (;

OK, now for some comments on the test example (thanks very much):

1) 1st screen : "and nothing mo" - "more" is truncated to "mo".

2) perl_licence_blab.txt : Win32 line endings, so control-M characters
are visible under Unix.

3) "Please choose a directory" page : informative error from DirTree
widget:

Use of uninitialized value in chdir at
/Library/Perl/darwin/Tk/DirTree.pm line 53.
Use of chdir('') or chdir(undef) as chdir() is deprecated at
/Library/Perl/darwin/Tk/DirTree.pm line 53.

4) Same page, clicking on "Desktop" gives:

Cannot cd to /Desktop:No such file or directory at
/Library/Perl/darwin/Tk/DirTree.pm line 60.

5) At the end of the run I get:

yearse at Tk/Wizard.pm line 790.

(;

OK, now for some namespace talk.

I (weakly) protest against the name of this widget - it really is a
widget - I'll later post a patch so that it uses Populate() and
friends.  (Hmm, maybe it's just another Dialog-like widget...)

As Dominique noted:

 > It's fine with me.
 >
 > But what happens when people want to upload dedicated wizard that
 > would use your Tk::Wizard ? What name should they use ? Something like
 > Tk::Wizard::DoSomething or Tk::DoSomething::Wizard ?
 >
 > For instance, if a wizard widget to configure CPAN is written.
 > Would such a module be named Tk::Wizard::CpanConfig or
 > Tk::CpanConfig::Wizard ?
 >
 > In my opinion, we should :
 > - Keep Tk::Wizard as a 'base' widget
 > - Use Tk::Wizard::DoSomething name for widget derived from Tk::Wizard
 >
 > If people agree on that:

And Slaven said "I agree.".  I agree as well.  But this widget is a
Win32 Wizard widget, it seems it should inherit from Tk::Wizard and be
named Tk::Wizard::Win32 - or some such.  But even it there is no real
Tk::Wizard base class, doesn't it make sense to give this widget a new
name?  Then we could have a Tk::Wizard::Aqua, etc ....

 > - I'll register the Tk::Wizard name in the module list.
 > - I'll ask Lee to mention the rule to name widgets derived from
 >   Tk::Wizard in hos documentation.

A PITA as always,

Steve

Mon, 16 May 2005 04:36:54 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> And Slaven said "I agree.".  I agree as well.  But this widget is a
> Win32 Wizard widget, it seems it should inherit from Tk::Wizard and be
> named Tk::Wizard::Win32 - or some such.  But even it there is no real
> Tk::Wizard base class, doesn't it make sense to give this widget a new
> name?  Then we could have a Tk::Wizard::Aqua, etc ....

And one might argue for:

Tk::Win32::Wizard
Tk::Aqua::Wizard
Tk::Linux::Wizard

Mon, 16 May 2005 04:59:26 GMT
 Tk::* NAMESPACE - Tk::Wizard

Quote:

> > And Slaven said "I agree.".  I agree as well.  But this widget is a
> > Win32 Wizard widget, it seems it should inherit from Tk::Wizard and be
> > named Tk::Wizard::Win32 - or some such.  But even it there is no real
> > Tk::Wizard base class, doesn't it make sense to give this widget a new
> > name?  Then we could have a Tk::Wizard::Aqua, etc ....

> And one might argue for:

> Tk::Win32::Wizard
> Tk::Aqua::Wizard
> Tk::Linux::Wizard

I think the other way around is better --- these *are* Wizards, and
the third-level name will just denote the special appearance of the
Wizard. It would be ideal if the API for all those widgets would be
the same, so one could say

    use Tk::Wizard qw(:default);

which would pick up the "right" implementation depending on $^O.

On the other hand, a Tk::Aqua namespace would make sense if this is
one would hold a series of Aqua-like widgets implemented for Tk (and
available for non-Mac systems, too).

Regards,
        Slaven

--

    Berlin Perl Mongers - http://berliner.pm.org

Mon, 16 May 2005 08:54:47 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. RFQ: Tk::Wizard - a wizard style widget for Perl/Tk

2. RFQ: Tk::Wizard - a wizard style widget for Perl/Tk

3. New Module: Tk::Wizard

4. Namespace suggestion for Tk video game.

5. Tk slide show module : finding a namespace

6. exporting functions to Tk::* namespace

7. what Tk Tk/perl Tkperl perl/Tk?

8. Tk slide show module : finding a namespace

9. Tk::NumEntryPlus & Tk::NumEntryPlainPlus - building on Tk::NumEntry and Tk::NumEntryPlain

10. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?

11. problem with tk or tk:jpeg memory usage