[Re: Tk Text Widget Question]
Author Message
 [Re: Tk Text Widget Question]

Quote:

> >I'm developing my first Tk application.  It includes a text widget.  I
> >have a minor problem with the behavior within the text widget, the
> >backspace key doesn't work,

> Does it do anything at all or just not work the way you expect?

It acts like the delete key.  Like I said in all my other X window
sessions: xterm, vi, xemacs, etc., the backspace key works as
expected.

Quote:

> Backspace works fine for me (Solaris/Linux and Win32).

> >I have to use shift-backspace.  How can I
> >get the backspace key to work correctly like it does in all other X
> >windows/applications?

> >System:
> >Solaris 2.5
> >Perl 5.005
> >Perl/Tk 800.015

> >Display:
> >Reflection X running on Win95 pc

> Hmm. Maybe the X converter is being "helpful".

> What does 'xmodmap -pk' show for BackSpace KeySym ?

     16         0xffff (Delete) 0xff08 (BackSpace)
--
Doug Lewis
Programmer/Analyst

Phone: 972-889-6262
Fax:   972-889-6339

Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 [Re: Tk Text Widget Question]

Quote:

> Tk is doing what it is told (as I expected). Tk distinguishes Delete from
> Backspace. Your xmodmap has told it that unshifted key is Delete and
> shifted key is BackSpace - what do you expect it to do ?

Well I expected the backspace key to work in the text widget the same way it
does in my xterm, as a backspace key!

We have solved the problem internally.

Quote:

--
Doug Lewis
Programmer/Analyst
Photronics, Inc.

Phone: 972-889-6262
Fax:   972-889-6339

Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 [Re: Tk Text Widget Question]

Quote:

> >Well I expected the backspace key to work in the text widget the same way it
> >does in my xterm, as a backspace key!

> If you know or can find out what and how you configured in your xterm to make
> it treat KeySym 'Delete' as backspace let me know.
> I suspect that you just set or get lucky with the 'erase' character
> set on tty associated with the xterm.

What we ended up doing was to turn off "Backspace sends delete" in the Reflection
X configuration (this causes the backspace to act as a delete in xterm).  Then we
specified erase to equal backspace with the stty command in .profile.  stty now
reports that erase is '^H'.

Quote:

> Now xemacs is more of a surprise...

> >We have solved the problem internally.

> If it was me I would arrange to have X startup xmodmap the keyboard
> the way it looks ;-) Tk may be 1st application that behaves this way
> but it will not be the last. What does a Motif app like NetScape do ?
> or a CDE app ?

Netscape would interrupt the backspace as a delete, I rarely use Netscape on
Solaris so I had forgotten about that behavior.

I'll definitely investigate this X startup suggestion!  I have some new Unix
users who get upset rather quickly when things don't work as they expect them to.

Regards,
--
Doug Lewis
Programmer/Analyst
Photronics, Inc.

Phone: 972-889-6262
Fax:   972-889-6339

Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tk Text Widget Question

2. Perl/Tk Questions About Text Widget

3. Color Coding Text in a Tk::Text Widget

4. Simple question: Saving text widgets text

5. perl/tk text widget and encodings (utf8 / ucs2 etc)

6. Read Text Widget into Array (PERL TK)

7. Inserting HTML into Text Tk widget

8. Announce:Tk-Text-Supertext-0.8 widget released

9. Busy/Unbusy No Effect on Tk::Text Widget

10. Tk::CodeText new Text widget, capable of syntax highlighting

11. Perl/Tk text widget help!

12. Getting size of Tk Text widget