GUI's future
Author Message
 GUI's future

TK, Swing, DOM, Gnome, GTK, KDE ... all keys to GUI environment.
I like TK but my doubt is: "what is the future of TK ?"
Do you indicate me liks about GUI comparisions ?

My target is to develop portable application that run on local computer without
manual download from users; do you have experience on automatic download from
network of perl and perlTk modules?

best regards
Guido Brugnara

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:50:52 GMT
 GUI's future

:TK, Swing, DOM, Gnome, GTK, KDE ... all keys to GUI environment.
Let's see:

Tk - available with a variety of languages and platforms.
Swing - available only with Java, and many commercial developers hate it
DOM - not available on all platforms (I don't know about all languages on
        the supported platforms)
Gnome - I don't think this is a GUI toolkit, but just a collection of tools
        with Gtk, right?
GTk - available on some platforms, to eventually be shipped as an alternative
        on most Unix platforms.  I don't know about its availability on
        Win, Mac, VMS, etc. platforms.  I've yet to see any one scripting
        language make it big with Gtk - most Gtk apps that I see continue
        to be written in C or C++.
KDE - I am less certain here, not ever having seen it, but I suspect it is
        available on less platforms, and has even less scripting langauge
        support than GTk.

:I like TK but my doubt is: "what is the future of TK ?"

A tooset useful for beginners and people who want to get things done
quickly in scripting languages and who don't have strong concerns about
support of theme/skins, etc.  Also, an open source project eager for people
who are knowlegable in various platforms and programming languages to
step forward and help improve the code, widget set, etc.
"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:39:25 GMT
 GUI's future
Quote:

>:TK, Swing, DOM, Gnome, GTK, KDE ... all keys to GUI environment.
>Let's see:

                        .
                        .
                        .
I'm slowly collecting comparative information at
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:58:26 GMT
 GUI's future

Quote:
>TK, Swing, DOM, Gnome, GTK, KDE ... all keys to GUI environment.
>I like TK but my doubt is: "what is the future of TK ?"
>Do you indicate me liks about GUI comparisions ?

I don't think anyone really knows what the "future of GUIs"
will be though certainly there are a lot of  folks out there
who are trying to provide their own answer to it. My own
guess is that we will see an increase in the number of
application frameworks available, an increase in the
amount of attention paid to UNICODE and Internationalization
support (which can be exceedingly tricky), and a heavier
incorporation of XML.

I Have doubts about the long term future of Tk, personally,
especially regarding internationalization. Unicode is just
one step in that direction, and it's by no means an easy
step. But there will need to be other steps as well. There are
other matters in regards to cross-platform portability which
are troublesome. That being said, I like developing in perl/tk far
better than I do in Tcl/Tk, but it may be that I will end up only
using it for basic and fairly trivial applications.

I think the following link might be helpful:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html#free_t...

Or.. it may serve to inundate you even further. Currently
the ones which interest me the most are (in no particular
order):

GTk
GLOW
XPToolkit (used for Mozilla)
Tk

Quote:
>My target is to develop portable application that run on
>local computer without manual download from users;
>do you have experience on automatic download from
>network of perl and perlTk modules?

I don't believe I know of any perl Tk module which specifically
covers anything in this area, though it's hard to say for
sure, given that I'm a bit confused by the question. From
what I think I understand, I'd recommend a web-based
solution of some kind. It would help to know what
environment such an application would be expected to
run in - it could make ALL the difference.

Rob

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:57:14 GMT
 GUI's future

Quote:

>>TK, Swing, DOM, Gnome, GTK, KDE ... all keys to GUI environment.
>>I like TK but my doubt is: "what is the future of TK ?"
>>Do you indicate me liks about GUI comparisions ?
> I don't think anyone really knows what the "future of GUIs"
> will be though certainly there are a lot of  folks out there
> who are trying to provide their own answer to it. My own
> guess is that we will see an increase in the number of
> application frameworks available, an increase in the
> amount of attention paid to UNICODE and Internationalization
> support (which can be exceedingly tricky), and a heavier
> incorporation of XML.
> I Have doubts about the long term future of Tk, personally,
> especially regarding internationalization. Unicode is just
> one step in that direction, and it's by no means an easy
> step. But there will need to be other steps as well. There are
> other matters in regards to cross-platform portability which
> are troublesome. That being said, I like developing in perl/tk far
> better than I do in Tcl/Tk, but it may be that I will end up only
> using it for basic and fairly trivial applications.
> I think the following link might be helpful:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html#free_t...
> Or.. it may serve to inundate you even further. Currently
> the ones which interest me the most are (in no particular
> order):
> GTk
> GLOW
> XPToolkit (used for Mozilla)
> Tk
>>My target is to develop portable application that run on
>>local computer without manual download from users;
>>do you have experience on automatic download from
>>network of perl and perlTk modules?
> I don't believe I know of any perl Tk module which specifically
> covers anything in this area, though it's hard to say for
> sure, given that I'm a bit confused by the question. From
> what I think I understand, I'd recommend a web-based
> solution of some kind. It would help to know what
> environment such an application would be expected to
> run in - it could make ALL the difference.
> Rob

        One thing that might improve the prospects of Tk would be if someone
much smarter than I would take Mozilla (Netscape's browser source) and build
in Perl/Tk support the way Java/Javascript are.  This would allow one to use
Perlscript and Tk widgets to make better web applications than one can now
get with CGI, HTML, and Javascript!  Actually, what would REALLY be slick,
would be for the Mozilla browser to be modified to work like a window-manager,
which could manage gui apps on any platform (like X on *nix and Windows on
Windows) and work over the Web, the way Hummingbird "Exceed" does over
LANs.  I am surprised more hasn't been done like this with Mozilla.  (Any takers?)
That's my 2 cents worth!

Jim Turner

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:28:11 GMT
 GUI's future

Quote:

>    One thing that might improve the prospects of Tk would be if someone
> much smarter than I would take Mozilla (Netscape's browser source) and build
> in Perl/Tk support the way Java/Javascript are.  This would allow one to use
> Perlscript and Tk widgets to make better web applications than one can now
> get with CGI, HTML, and Javascript!

http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~sol0/ptk/ppl/ppl.html

Steve

'other perl hacker';$z='createText';$c=$m->Canvas(-wi,$_[1],-he,25)->grid;$c->$
En'.
'ter>',sub{$y=int(rand($m->screenheight));$m->geometry("+$y+$y")});MainLoop;

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:06:13 GMT
 GUI's future
Also note the following:

http://dev.scriptics.com/software/plugin/

It is for a Tcl/Tk plugin, and is pretty
interesting. Worth checking out.

What I'd be interested in seeing is
an interface using Perl for the XPToolkit
something like what is out there for
Python.

Rob

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:04:04 GMT
 GUI's future

Quote:

>Also note the following:

>http://dev.scriptics.com/software/plugin/

>It is for a Tcl/Tk plugin, and is pretty
>interesting. Worth checking out.

                        .
                        .
                        .
Also, see
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:13:08 GMT

1. What's the future of Perl?

2. Tcl, SunLabs, and Perl's Future

3. Window's GUI

4. GUI for RE's (was: Breidbart Index)

5. Can you build GUI's with perl?

6. ActiveState PerlDev GUI Debugger - can't get to work on Win2k/IIS 5.0

7. Request: GUI's considered harmful

8. tkperl, in the future do you need to link in tk7.3

9. Future reliability of length()

10. htgrep.pl/future RESERVED words

11. Perl and the Mac (Really on desired future enhacements)

12. Future of Perl on VMS