So what do YOU use Perl for?
Author Message
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Quote:

>There are close to 2100 modules on CPAN

I counted 6,300 or so, looking at the 02packages.details.txt.  Is this
an error?

rd
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:04:18 GMT
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Quote:

>I use it to impress women.

Around 1993 or 1994 I started dating a woman who was a quilter.  After
seeing a lot of quilts and pictures of quilts, it seemed to me that
most quilters stuck to a few traditional quilt blocks and that there
might be a lot of quilt blocks that were rarely used.

I wrote a suite of Perl programs to generate all the quilt blocks of a
certain type (six{*filter*}-patch half-square triangles with 90-degree
rotational symmetry) and printed out the result:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mjd/misc/quilt/composites/bindexs.jpg

(I made an error; one block appears twice.  Can you find it?)

I was delighted, because the results confirmed my suspicion:  There
*are* a lot of excellent but rarely-seen quilt blocks.

I was delighted even further when we got married, she made the program
output into a real quilt and gave it to me as a wedding present.

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mjd/misc/quilt/quilt/

She must have been impressed.

rd
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:38:59 GMT
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Mark> Around 1993 or 1994 I started dating a woman who was a quilter.

[...]

Mark> I was delighted even further when we got married,

Wow.  So you can in fact use Perl to help you get more dates, just
like I said in the last paragraph of
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col25.html>!  Cool!

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:25:08 GMT
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Quote:

> >There are close to 2100 modules on CPAN
> I counted 6,300 or so, looking at the 02packages.details.txt.  Is this
> an error?

If Something::Bit and Something::Block come in the same distribution
are they seperate modules or not? Elaine's counting would say no, yours
would say yes.

Elijah
------
takes Elaine's view of counting

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:29:08 GMT
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Quote:
> If Something::Bit and Something::Block come in the same distribution
> are they seperate modules or not? Elaine's counting would say no, yours
> would say yes.

Well....a distribution is a 'thing' that may contain mutiple modules. I
had
meant to say distribution there since many, if not most, modules
bundled together in a distribution are a functional unit and don't exist
without each other. So...yes there are technically near 7,000 modules
contained within ~2100 distributions but I find the distribution number
to be a more meaningful metric.

Quote:
> takes Elaine's view of counting

:)

e.

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:17:16 GMT
 So what do YOU use Perl for?

Quote:

> Mark> I was delighted even further when we got married,

> Wow.  So you can in fact use Perl to help you get more dates, just
> like I said in the last paragraph of
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col25.html>!  Cool!

I thought that was what Bill was for. :)

e.

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:18:25 GMT

1. PERLFUNC: endservent - be done using services file

2. PERLFUNC: endpwent - be done using passwd file

3. PERLFUNC: endprotoent - be done using protocols file

4. PERLFUNC: endnetent - be done using networks file

5. PERLFUNC: endhostent - be done using hosts file

6. PERLFUNC: endgrent - be done using group file

7. PERLFUNC: endservent - be done using services file

8. PERLFUNC: endpwent - be done using passwd file

9. PERLFUNC: endprotoent - be done using protocols file

10. PERLFUNC: endnetent - be done using networks file

11. PERLFUNC: endhostent - be done using hosts file

12. PERLFUNC: endgrent - be done using group file