Turning off echoing under NT
Author Message
 Turning off echoing under NT

Until recently I've been lucky to be writing my scripts for Unix, so
when I ask for a user's password I can turn off character echoing with
a simple "system stty -echo" command. Now, however, I'm writing a
script for use in NT, and I can't seem to find a way to turn echoing

has no effect here:

print "Enter password: ";

chomp (my $pwd = <STDIN>);  # displays every character the user types!

Anybody know a solution to this? Thanks.

--
Janet Goldstein, Sr. Programmer/Analyst II
Center for Inherited Disease Research

Explore the mouse genome! http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:44:22 GMT
 Turning off echoing under NT
Doesn't Term::ReadKey help you under NT?

(IMHO it's better to use it on Unix, too. system() for functionality calls,
(with the exception of wrapping your own programs - which is usually
the perl script primary purpose then). This way you don't run into
portability
problems like this, and you usually have no problems with efficiency, too
- because these modules try to give you as good performance as possible
under a given arch.)

Vassilii

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:15:55 GMT
 Turning off echoing under NT

Quote:
> script for use in NT, and I can't seem to find a way to turn echoing

> has no effect here:

Win32::Console may be of use to you.

jimbo
;-)

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:53:38 GMT

1. Turning off echo in NT

2. KALEIDO.PAS

3. Question about Qreport

4. arrays of records

5. Error:"Directory is locked"-Help!

6. turning off echo (password) os/2 perl / oraperl

7. Echo, how do you turn off? ;-}

8. Help turning off echo for 1 line.

9. Turn off tear-off menu's?

10. perl binary pack and passwd echo off from windows

11. ECHO OFF???

12. perl binary pack and passwd echo off from windows