Certain info dated?
Author Message
 Certain info dated?

Just bought and started reading `Programming Perl'.  The first thing I
wanted from it was a detailed guide to using perls own voluminous
documentation.

This is the 3rd Edition.  I find info in the preface (page xxv) about
searching the man pages.  There is a statement that reads in part:

  ".... You can search individual pages by using the name of the man
  page as the command and passing a Perl regular expression [...]
  as the search pattern"

And shows syntax like this:

  % perlfunc split
[...]
  %  perlfaq round

None of this works on my Linux (Redhat 7.1) setup nor on my
Solaris8 (intel), although perl is installed as indicated by
`which perl'.  Is this info out of date or do I need a special
path for this to work?

If this is out of date what is the current technique to search for a
regex through out the entire documentation?

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:16:11 GMT
 Certain info dated?
I've used instead

Quote:
>   % perlfunc split

perldoc -f split

and

Quote:
> [...]
>   %  perlfaq round

perldoc -q round

for ages to achieve this very functionality (check perldoc's help).

Quote:
> None of this works on my Linux (Redhat 7.1) setup nor on my
> Solaris8 (intel), although perl is installed as indicated by
> `which perl'.  Is this info out of date or do I need a special
> path for this to work?

Either this is something really very fresh (wasn't there 3 months ago
on CPAN), or you've just discovered a Camel 3 bug.

Vassilii

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:36:48 GMT
 Certain info dated?
Khachaturov, Vassilii wrote in comp.lang.perl.moderated:

Quote:
> I've used instead

>>   % perlfunc split
> perldoc -f split

> and

>> [...]
>>   %  perlfaq round
> perldoc -q round

> for ages to achieve this very functionality (check perldoc's help).

>> None of this works on my Linux (Redhat 7.1) setup nor on my
>> Solaris8 (intel), although perl is installed as indicated by
>> `which perl'.  Is this info out of date or do I need a special
>> path for this to work?

> Either this is something really very fresh (wasn't there 3 months ago
> on CPAN), or you've just discovered a Camel 3 bug.

Tom Christiansen did develop a set of tools intended to replace the old
perldoc script, but they never got finished and integrated into perl.
I imagine that, at the time the 3rd Camel was being written, Tom was
expecting these to be ready for the next release of perl.

IIRC, these tools did look like this. Sorry, I've no pointer...

--
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
I'll better skip() some releases until it is() ok() to use Test::More

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:49:18 GMT
 Certain info dated?

Quote:

> I've used instead
> perldoc -f split
> perldoc -q round

Thanks, yeah  I knew about those from man perldoc but areent they
limited in this way:
perldoc -q -- only queries the faqs
perldoc -f -- only queries for fucntion names.

Quote:
> Either this is something really very fresh (wasn't there 3 months ago
> on CPAN), or you've just discovered a Camel 3 bug.

[...]

Quote:
> Tom Christiansen did develop a set of tools intended to replace the old
> perldoc script, but they never got finished and integrated into perl.
> I imagine that, at the time the 3rd Camel was being written, Tom was
> expecting these to be ready for the next release of perl.

> IIRC, these tools did look like this. Sorry, I've no pointer...

That may be what happened.. And as many here will know, the book
supplies an oreilly mailing address to ask questions about the book.

I've done that so maybe I'll here something soon.

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:46:54 GMT
 Certain info dated?
In Perl 5.6 try:

perldoc -f split

to search the "built-in" functions documentation for "split"

and

perldoc -q round

to search FAQ questions for "round"

------------

For more info. and options for using perldoc, type:

perldoc perldoc

or

perldoc -h

John Sharp
www.tfriend.com

Quote:

> Just bought and started reading `Programming Perl'.  The first thing I
> wanted from it was a detailed guide to using perls own voluminous
> documentation.

> This is the 3rd Edition.  I find info in the preface (page xxv) about
> searching the man pages.  There is a statement that reads in part:

>   ".... You can search individual pages by using the name of the man
>   page as the command and passing a Perl regular expression [...]
>   as the search pattern"

> And shows syntax like this:

>   % perlfunc split
> [...]
>   %  perlfaq round

> None of this works on my Linux (Redhat 7.1) setup nor on my
> Solaris8 (intel), although perl is installed as indicated by
> `which perl'.  Is this info out of date or do I need a special
> path for this to work?

> If this is out of date what is the current technique to search for a
> regex through out the entire documentation?

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:33:17 GMT

1. List of DSN's.

2. Pascal compiler Please!

3. : Double click on maximized MDI child doesn't work...

4. pulling certain fields from date

5. Date validation, but in a certain format

6. delete fiel after a certain date

7. Do something 30 days from a certain date

8. Help: Grant access to pages on certain date.

9. getting date info from files

10. date, week of the year info?

11. Getting up-to-date perl .info files

12. File date/time info (stat)