"System Description" for perl
Author Message
 "System Description" for perl

Hi,

Having become cross-eyed reading perl documentation without relief, I am
compelled to seek help.  Does anyone reading this know of any "systems"
documentation of perl--i.e., meta-perl?  By this, I mean a description
of perl as a "system" -- components, structure, environments,
relationships, uses, etc. Put another way, a description of what it is,
where it exists, what its composed of, the relationships of its parts,
how to build and modify it, constraints, limitations, ....  I have come
across partial documentation of this sort in the various "readmes" but
am hoping for more "integrated" documentation and descriptions.

If anyone can point me to such a beast, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Lowell Anderson

Sat, 28 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "System Description" for perl
Hi Lowell:

Quote:
> Does anyone reading this know of any "systems"
>documentation of perl--i.e., meta-perl?  By this, I mean a description
>of perl as a "system" -- components, structure, environments,
>relationships, uses, etc. Put another way, a description of what it is,
>where it exists, what its composed of, the relationships of its parts,
>how to build and modify it, constraints, limitations, ....  I have come
>across partial documentation of this sort in the various "readmes" but
>am hoping for more "integrated" documentation and descriptions.

Programming Perl, Larry Wall et. al. , published by O'Reilly

Known as "The Camel". Actually, the first edition is probably closer
to what you want (try a library). The current version adds lots of
extra stuff (as does perl 5) - but the "systems" elements may be
harder to find just due to the amount of material.

-bill
Making computers work in Manufacturing for over 25 years (inquiries welcome)

Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. system(("cp", "-Rf", "/tmp/a/*", "/tmp/b")); doesnt wrk

2. Read "keywords" and "description" from a HTML file

3. Perl "system" command and Informix

4. [chip: Perl scripts on systems without "#!"]

5. Solaris + Perl : function "system"

6. "system" command in Perl/CGI

7. system call "find" in PERL

8. Perl "system" command and Informix

9. Perl on Win95 - "system" not working

10. "character class ""bug""

11. Problem whit system("rmdir $ntdir") and system("md $ntdir");

12. how to parse a "this", "that", "and the ", "other" file