data binding between XML and Perl, e.g. JAXB 
Author Message
 data binding between XML and Perl, e.g. JAXB

JAXB (formerly known as project Adelard and also JSR-31, see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) is a way to automate the
mapping between XML documents and Java objects.  An "early adopter"
release is available, with a user's guide, reference manual, and
running code and examples.  The schema binding is an XML document that
specifies the details of this mapping.  The same schema binding
document could in principle be used to create an in-memory
representation of the XML document in other programming languages,
e.g. Perl.  There are many possible ways this could be done, and they
would depend on the particular Perl module used.  Is anyone planning
to upgrade their module to translate between XML and Perl using this
JAXB particular way of specifying the binding?

There are also several other ways to specify a binding:
Zeus (Enhydra), jsx, jox, etc.  See a list at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
I am also be interested in Perl modules that re-use those approaches.

Thanks,
Steve
--

Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V10D    Boston MA 02109
There is nothing so practical as a good theory.  Comments are by me,
not Fidelity Investments, its subsidiaries or affiliates.



Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:02:07 GMT  
 data binding between XML and Perl, e.g. JAXB

Quote:

> JAXB (formerly known as project Adelard and also JSR-31, see
> http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxb/ for details) is a way to automate the
> mapping between XML documents and Java objects.  An "early adopter"
> release is available, with a user's guide, reference manual, and
> running code and examples.  The schema binding is an XML document that
> specifies the details of this mapping.  The same schema binding
> document could in principle be used to create an in-memory
> representation of the XML document in other programming languages,
> e.g. Perl.  There are many possible ways this could be done, and they
> would depend on the particular Perl module used.  Is anyone planning
> to upgrade their module to translate between XML and Perl using this
> JAXB particular way of specifying the binding?

Have you thought of looking at SOAP (or for that matter, XML-RPC, aka
Frontier RPC)? This has quite a clear data binding between Perl data
structures and XML.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Founder and CTO  **  **   http://axkit.com/     **
   //||    **  AxKit.com Ltd   **  ** XML Application Serving **
  // ||    ** http://axkit.org **  ** XSLT, XPathScript, XSP  **
 // \\| // ** mod_perl news and resources: http://take23.org  **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\



Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:26:30 GMT  
 data binding between XML and Perl, e.g. JAXB
Quote:


> > JAXB (formerly known as project Adelard and also JSR-31, see
> > http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxb/ for details) is a way to automate the
> > mapping between XML documents and Java objects.  An "early adopter"
> > release is available, with a user's guide, reference manual, and
> > running code and examples.  The schema binding is an XML document that
> > specifies the details of this mapping.  The same schema binding
> > document could in principle be used to create an in-memory
> > representation of the XML document in other programming languages,
> > e.g. Perl.  There are many possible ways this could be done, and they
> > would depend on the particular Perl module used.  Is anyone planning
> > to upgrade their module to translate between XML and Perl using this
> > JAXB particular way of specifying the binding?

> Have you thought of looking at SOAP (or for that matter, XML-RPC, aka
> Frontier RPC)? This has quite a clear data binding between Perl data
> structures and XML.

....

I do not understand your response.  I think of SOAP as a way to call a
function, where the input and output parameters are expressed in XML.
(These might be described using WSDL.)  What I want is different: an
automated system that reads the binding schema and then at run time
permits a very simple way to write the data structures out to a
document (serialize), or read an entire document into the data
structures (deserialize).

--
Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--

Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V10D    Boston MA 02109
There is nothing so practical as a good theory.  Comments are by me,
not Fidelity Investments, its subsidiaries or affiliates.



Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:55:33 GMT  
 data binding between XML and Perl, e.g. JAXB

Quote:

> I do not understand your response.  I think of SOAP as a way to call a
> function, where the input and output parameters are expressed in XML.
> (These might be described using WSDL.)  What I want is different: an
> automated system that reads the binding schema and then at run time
> permits a very simple way to write the data structures out to a
> document (serialize), or read an entire document into the data
> structures (deserialize).

This may be off topic for this ng now, so I don't know if the moderators
will post it, but SOAP is two specs in one. It is, as you say, an RPC
spec. But it is also a serializing/deserializing spec. So SOAP
implementations should allow you to serialize a perl data structure as
XML, and do the reverse. Although the XML spec used is SOAP, so I don't
know if it will match your needs exactly.

Another possibility is to just try and see what XML::Simple produces.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Founder and CTO  **  **   http://axkit.com/     **
   //||    **  AxKit.com Ltd   **  ** XML Application Serving **
  // ||    ** http://axkit.org **  ** XSLT, XPathScript, XSP  **
 // \\| // ** mod_perl news and resources: http://take23.org  **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\



Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:55:17 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Touching directories

2. DOC: Using PerlSAX (a Perl binding for Simple API for XML)

3. DOC: Using PerlSAX (a Perl binding for Simple API for XML)

4. wanted: perl code to do JAXB name mapping (LONG)

5. The weekly FAQ item about the Pascal newsgroups' reorganization

6. Problem with Idapi32 in Delphi 3.0 DLL called by VC++

7. perl, DBI and Data Bases -> XML

8. Problem with data size in dbm-bound associative arrays

9. Weird data for bind

10. BIND in perl, no bind

11. Looking for: parser for bind data

12. Access to data generated inside bind's subroutine

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software