5.6 Upgrade - modules
Author Message
 5.6 Upgrade - modules

I wanted to move from 5.005_03 to 5.6 on my development machine.  I've
got it built but not installed yet.

What I'm unclear on is how to upgrade/install/move my already installed
modules I'm using with 5.005_03.

Is there a method I can use with CPAN.pm to grab a list of my current
modules of 5.005 and then reinstall the modules in 5.6?  Seems like a
long process as I'm on a dial-up link.

And what about modules I've created and installed?  Would these have to
be rebuilt?

Any suggested configuration for keeping both on my system?  Any special
requirements to run CPAN.pm for both versions?  That is, do I need to
make sure I use different settings in CPAN/Config.pm for build_dir,
cpan_home, and keep_sources_where?

Cluelessly yours,

--

pls note the one line sig, not counting this one.

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 5.6 Upgrade - modules

Quote:

>I wanted to move from 5.005_03 to 5.6 on my development machine.  I've
>got it built but not installed yet.

>What I'm unclear on is how to upgrade/install/move my already installed
>modules I'm using with 5.005_03.

This has always been a bit of a bugbear for me as well. Up till now,
I've always gone through the ;

perl Makefile.PL;make;make test;make install

cycle on each release, for each module I have. It's always a pain
dealing with dependencies - although I admit to thinking about the
problem rather than actually doing anything about it.

According to Simon Cozen's article on the new version at ;

http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/04/whatsnew.html

(under 'Better Building'), Perl 5.6 has a 'configure' that can look
for old module directories amd, presumably, rebuild them (?). I
haven't taken the leap yet but would be interested in how you deal
with this.

Regards,

--
Alastair

http://www.calliope.demon.co.uk

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 5.6 Upgrade - modules
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 01:29:19 GMT Alastair

Quote:

> >I wanted to move from 5.005_03 to 5.6 on my development machine.  I've
> >got it built but not installed yet.

> >What I'm unclear on is how to upgrade/install/move my already installed
> >modules I'm using with 5.005_03.
> According to Simon Cozen's article on the new version at ;

> http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/04/whatsnew.html

> (under 'Better Building'), Perl 5.6 has a 'configure' that can look
> for old module directories amd, presumably, rebuild them (?). I
> haven't taken the leap yet but would be interested in how you deal
> with this.

Yes thanks.  Of course since posting I had more time to fully read the
INSTALL doc, especially "Coexistence with earlier versions of perl5."

(Why does it seem like I'm always reading some INSTALL or man page these
days???)

Jonathan Stowe also posted this which might be helpful if not building a
binary compatible version of 5.6.

http://x37.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=607245173

--

pls note the one line sig, not counting this one.

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 5.6 Upgrade - modules
Alastair (comp.lang.perl.moderated):
Quote:
>According to Simon Cozen's article on the new version at ;

                         ^ Ouch.

Quote:
>(under 'Better Building'), Perl 5.6 has a 'configure' that can look
>for old module directories amd, presumably, rebuild them (?).

--
`And when you've been *plonk*ed by Simon C., you've been *plonked*
by someone who knows when, and why, and how.' - Mike Andrews, asr

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi C/S and Informix (LiveWire Pro)

2. Upgrade 5.004 -> 5.6 and binary modules

3. Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

4. Lost Access to Tied Hashes after Perl 5.6 Upgrade

5. Using CPAN.pm without upgrading to Perl 5.6

6. Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

7. Can't open DBM after upgrading from 5.005 to 5.6

8. Lost libraries when upgrading from 5.005 to 5.6

9. Upgrading 5.6 to use 64 bit

10. Does smbdy know what to use to program in pascal under W95???

11. graphical fonts...

12. Help! Saving TMemo data to Memo field of Database table