Writing a robust socket client in Perll
Author Message
 Writing a robust socket client in Perll

I'm sure what I'm trying to do has been done before, and I  don't want to
re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.  This is not rocket science, but
because of the nature of the design, it would be difficult to test all failure
modes.

Here's what I'm trying to do at a high level (I'm leaving out many underlying
details).  We have a server running on the network that listens on a socket,
reads some data, massages it, and stores it in a database. My (Perl) client
collects some information and sends it to the server periodically (the interval
can vary anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes).  My Perl client will run
"forever".  If the server is busy, down, unreachable, etc., I dont' want
the client to die.  It should simply resend the information at the next
scheduled reporting interval.  If the server actually went down, the client
should re-restablish the connection., but otherwise I want it to reuse the
same socket connection (i.e., I don't want to set up and tear down the socket
at every interval for performance reasons).

What's the best way to do this in Perl?  There must be lots of examples out
there, but I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks for any and all help,
Alfred

Sat, 10 Jul 2004 04:26:04 GMT

1. Code or pseudo code for scheduler program...

2. Connecting problems Dephi 1 and SQL Server 6.0

3. Need help writing non-blocking socket client in PERL on Windows

4. Socket client writing to server

5. How to write robust servers in perl-win 32

6. Perll Script for Manageing IP Network Numbers

7. How to write TO a socket? (client/server socket stuff)

8. Client writing to server

9. write a perl variable to a file to remote client over ssh

10. Writing a small nntp client in perl

11. Writing an ftp-client in cgi/perl

12. Qs on writing an HTTPS client