glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped)
Author Message
 glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped)

Hi,

I'm getting these after upgrading perl (to perl-5.00503-11) on one of
our machines (RedHat Linux 6.0).  They don't occur if I run the same
utility from the shell, only from crond and atd.  /bin/csh is runnable
from atd and crond's enviroments, I've confirmed.

I can't strace because perl or the specific combination of things
involved when globbing in Perl doesn't seem to like that.

The script is still working - it looks like the glob returns what it
should and the script works with it, the error messages seems to be an
artifact but I don't know of what.  I haven't even found the core that
it
claims is being dumped, but this line hasn't been properly exhausted
yet.

Any ideas?

Example of errors:
[...]
glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped) at
/usr/local/sbin/mmdom-process line 66, <_GEN_0> chunk 1.
glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped) at
/usr/local/sbin/mmdom-process line 73, <_GEN_1> chunk 1.
glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped) at
/usr/local/sbin/mmdom-process line 81, <_GEN_2> chunk 1.
[...]

Line 66, 73 and 81 are all similar to the following:

while (defined($filename = glob("rd*.pending"))) {
    $pend_count++;
    logprint("[info] processing $filename");
    process_request($filename);# || logprint("[err] error processing
$filename");

Quote:
}

Ciao

Charl

   The impossible is easy; it's the unfeasible that poses the problem.

      Reality Manufacturing                         +27 11 721-3800

Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. glob failed (child exited with status -1, core dumped)

2. DBEdit

3. glob failed (child exited with status 126)

4. Perl error: glob failed (child exited with status 126)

5. Negative Exit Status of Child Process?

6. core dumps with type glob on SUN, SGI, and AIX

7. Querying output from another query

8. What is it about Pascal

9. Dealing with unstructured data

10. Help with game:

11. exit called in BEGIN gives core dump

12. Enabling core dumps in child processes