Underscores after short hex/octal chars in 5.6.0
Author Message
 Underscores after short hex/octal chars in 5.6.0

I've run into some unusual behavior in 5.6.0 when underscores follow short
octal and hex character specifications. ("Short" meaning that they have
just one or two characters for octal or just one for hex.) But maybe it's
some new Unicode thing I'm unaware of?

    $ perl -lwe '$_ = "\0___"; print length;'
    2

The string in this case is an ASCII NUL followed by an underscore.

It's as if the parser is insisting upon getting three octal or two hex
digits when underscores follow the character specifier. I'm pretty sure
this is a bug; if it's a feature, I didn't find it in the docs.

Opinions or patches?

Randal Schwartz Case:     http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mail Merge

2. s/Hex/Char/ ? s/Char/Hex/

3. Help convert format: mixed ASCII/octal to hex

4. Hex,..octal???

5. Hex/octal value of characters in a file

6. Table is busy msg while trying to EmptyTable

7. Problem with escaped octal chars > 127

8. Stripping junk hex chars from logfiles.

9. hex char

10. Converting Char to Hex ..

11. char to hex conversion

12. Embedding Hex char in string