Need help making a link in Pod format 
Author Message
 Need help making a link in Pod format

I am trying to make a link to an "=item" entry in POD format.  I have:

=head1 SYNOPSIS

my_prog [-v] [L<-i|"item__i">] args

=over 4

=item -i

case insensitive search

=back

When I run the above through pod2html,  I get:

<H1><A NAME="SYNOPSIS">SYNOPSIS</A></H1>
<P>
my_prog [-v] [<A HREF="#item_i">-i</A>] args

<DL>
<DT><STRONG><A NAME="item__i">-i</A></STRONG><DD>
<P>
case insensitive search

</DL>

I don't know how to get my link reference to point to "item__i".
It always adds a leading "#" and removes any extra "_". How do
I get this link to work in POD?

--
Mike Arms

What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a wall that
people have stopped banging their heads against?" --lwall



Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Need help making a link in Pod format

[snip]

Quote:
> When I run the above through pod2html,  I get:
> my_prog [-v] [<A HREF="#item_i">-i</A>] args

> <DL>
> <DT><STRONG><A NAME="item__i">-i</A></STRONG><DD>
> <P>
> It always adds a leading "#" and removes any extra "_". How do
> I get this link to work in POD?

you want to reference a named anchor, right?  the # in front of
the name of the anchor is how HTML does that.

--
brian d foy                    
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>



Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Need help making a link in Pod format

Quote:

> > When I run the above through pod2html,  I get:
> > my_prog [-v] [<A HREF="#item_i">-i</A>] args

> > <DL>
> > <DT><STRONG><A NAME="item__i">-i</A></STRONG><DD>
> > <P>

> > It always adds a leading "#" and removes any extra "_". How do
> > I get this link to work in POD?

> You want to reference a named anchor, right?  The # in front of
> the name of the anchor is how HTML does that.

True, but you do not address the issue of the extra '_'.  I too have
had lots of problems matching up L<> links, to the point where I avoid
them.  Also, it's really annoying that pod2text and pod2man handle
them quite differently than pod2html does; I sometimes end up with
text that looks like "try the the funcname() manpage method instead."
They're also inconsistent about the use of L<"x/y"> type syntax.

I've heard rumors that there was an effort to pull all the POD parsing
into a perl module with drivers to make output for different formats,
turning the pod2xxx scripts into effectively one-liners, but it
doesn't seem that has been rolled into any release of Perl.  Does
anyone know the status of that effort?

Anyway, Mike for now I'd probably suggest you give up on using the L<>
tags.  They just don't work right.  Hopefully they will be fixed soon.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/


 PGP Key 0x2BD331E5; Public key at http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/pubkey.txt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much as we'd sometimes like to ignore the fact, sex isn't exactly tiddlywinks.



Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Need help making a link in Pod format


Quote:
>I've heard rumors that there was an effort to pull all the POD parsing
>into a perl module with drivers to make output for different formats,
>turning the pod2xxx scripts into effectively one-liners, but it
>doesn't seem that has been rolled into any release of Perl.  Does
>anyone know the status of that effort?

My PodParser module(s) have been on CPAN for a couple years now.
Look for PodParser-1.07 (which contains Pod::Parser, Pod::Select,
Pod::Checker, Pod::Usage and another module or two) under author
id=BRADAPP. Version 1.08, which mostly adds some portability fixes
to the test suite, should be coming in the next week or two.

With any luck PodParser will be part of Perl 5.006. But the effort to
make all the pod2xxx converters use it will take place afterward.  Some
have already written such replacements for pod2text and pod2html using
Pod::Parser, but more are needed (like for pod2man and a few others)
and they will need extensive testing before they can be expected to
replace the existing pod2xxx filters. Anyone willing to contribute
to the effort should feel free to download Pod::Parser and give it a
whirl.

Cheers!
--

 "And miles to go before I sleep."   |  3700+ WWW links on CS & Sw-Eng



Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Need help making a link in Pod format

2. I need help making Perl 5 manual (.pod->.tex->Postscript)

3. I need help making Perl 5 manual (.pod->.tex->Postscript)

4. Help: Need nifty idea for efficiently linking objects together and making comparisons,,,

5. Tk::Pod does not resolve link to standard perl pod

6. help with pod files needed.

7. Help with POD and Pod::Html

8. help with pod files needed.

9. Pod::Filter, Pod::Usage, and Pod::PlainText now on CPAN

10. Pod Problems (using =pod, nesting fonts, and Pod::Text)

11. HTML links in POD documentation

12. HTML links in POD documentation

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software