CVS for perl projects
Author Message
 CVS for perl projects

Hello,
        We've decided to use CVS to maintain our perl sources tree. We looked
for perl specific issues but weren't able to find any precedent on the
web or in the documentation. If you are aware of such project going on
(using CVS or any other source control software) could you please let us
know.

        Thanks in advance.

--
---------------------------------
Jean-Philippe Bouchard

---------------------------------

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

Quote:

>Hello,
>    We've decided to use CVS to maintain our perl sources tree. We looked
>for perl specific issues but weren't able to find any precedent on the
>web or in the documentation. If you are aware of such project going on
>(using CVS or any other source control software) could you please let us
>know.

Not sure exactly what you're asking here.  If you're asking if anyone
has used CVS or other version systems on Perl projects, then yes, I
have.  At work, we currently have a >50k line project we keep under RCS.
No problems.  A real life-saver, in fact.

Have fun!

--

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects
: Hello,
:       We've decided to use CVS to maintain our perl sources tree. We looked
: for perl specific issues but weren't able to find any precedent on the web
: or in the documentation. If you are aware of such project going on (using
: CVS or any other source control software) could you please let us know.

        This question really belongs in comp.software.config-mgmt, but
        nonetheless CVS has no specific issues with Perl source code; It's
        all just text to CVS.  The normal problems with NT<->Unix and CVS do
        apply however, but this is not Perl specific it's text file
        specific.

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

>    This question really belongs in comp.software.config-mgmt, but
>    nonetheless CVS has no specific issues with Perl source code; It's
>    all just text to CVS.  The normal problems with NT<->Unix and CVS do
>    apply however, but this is not Perl specific it's text file
>    specific.

I think the original (?) poster had a problem which *is* specific to
Perl: that Perl sources are simultaneously Perl executables.
Consequently, if you are on a production environment, you want your
updates to be atomic (whatever this means ;-).

Ilya

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects
On Tue, 16 May 2000 10:40:23 -0400,

Quote:
> Hello,
>    We've decided to use CVS to maintain our perl sources tree. We looked

Good choice :)

Quote:
> for perl specific issues but weren't able to find any precedent on the
> web or in the documentation. If you are aware of such project going on
> (using CVS or any other source control software) could you please let us
> know.

I use CVS with Perl all the time. For smallish projects, on my own,
larger projects on my own, and large shared code development. I also
use it for C, Java and LaTeX. The same caveats apply to Perl code as
to any other code base, and they're all explained well in the CVS
documentation, and even better in the CVS book:
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen                      |
Interactive Media Division              | "In a world without fences,

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects
On 17 May 2000 18:06:55 GMT,

> >       This question really belongs in comp.software.config-mgmt, but
> >       nonetheless CVS has no specific issues with Perl source code; It's
> >       all just text to CVS.  The normal problems with NT<->Unix and CVS do
> >       apply however, but this is not Perl specific it's text file
> >       specific.

> I think the original (?) poster had a problem which *is* specific to
> Perl: that Perl sources are simultaneously Perl executables.
> Consequently, if you are on a production environment, you want your
> updates to be atomic (whatever this means ;-).

That's not a CVS issue, but a deployment issue.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen                      |
Interactive Media Division              | "In a world without fences,
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.           |  who needs Gates?"
NSW, Australia                          |

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

Quote:

[...]
> >I've run into this with RCS; I presume it applies to CVS as well.

> Doesn't $nokeywords$ take care of this?

> >You'll also need to avoid certain uses of certain identifiers that may
> >be expanded when a file is checked out; "man co" for details.

> Doesn't $nokeywords$ take care of that too?

There's no such feature in RCS 5.7 or CVS 1.10 (verified by searching
the sources and documentation and by experiment).

It sounds like an interesting feature; does it exist somewhere that
I'm not familiar with?

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Welcome to the last year of the 20th century.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

:> Hello,
:>   We've decided to use CVS to maintain our perl sources tree. We looked
:> for perl specific issues but weren't able to find any precedent on the
:> web or in the documentation. If you are aware of such project going on
:> (using CVS or any other source control software) could you please let us
:> know.
:
: The only Perl-specific issue I can think of is avoiding extraneous
: information for the ident command.  For example, if a script contains
: something like:
:
:     open FILE, $filename or die "$filename: $!\n";
:
: the ident command will think 'filename' is an RCS keyword.  This is mostly
: harmless, but annoying.

        You must be working with an old version of CVS.  Unless you happen
        to call your variable $Revision or such, this isn't a problem.  CVS
        won't attempt to expand any non-valid keyword:

                $ cat bar

                $Revision$

                open FILE, $filename or die "$filename: $!\n";

                $ cvs add bar
                cvs add: scheduling file `bar' for addition
                cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently
                $ cvs commit -m 'none' bar
                RCS file: /usr/home/byron/cvs/foo/bar,v
                done
                Checking in bar;
                /usr/home/byron/cvs/foo/bar,v  <--  bar
                initial revision: 1.1
                done
                $ cat bar

                $Revision: 1.1 $

                open FILE, $filename or die "$filename: $!\n";

: The workaround is:
:
:     open FILE, $filename or die "${filename}: $!\n";
:
: I've run into this with RCS; I presume it applies to CVS as well.

        Sounds like CVS has grown smarter then RCS.  It's still a possible
        issue, but small enough that it can almost be ignored completely.

: You'll also need to avoid certain uses of certain identifiers that may be
: expanded when a file is checked out; "man co" for details.

        For CVS, the CVS postscript documentation would be more accurate.
        CVS no longer calls RCS and thus RCS man pages aren't likely the
        place to seek clarification.

--

                                        Pizza......for the body.
                                        Sushi......for the soul.

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

    Keith> [...]
    >> >I've run into this with RCS; I presume it applies to CVS as
    >> well.

Slightly off the current CVS sub-thread but someone might find it
useful. I generate C++ code from perl source that's under CVS
control. To be sure I can recreate the generated C++ code I gather the
CVS $Id$ values into a global array:

BEGIN
{

Quote:
}

(The $Id$ is expanded into a line briefly describing the file
version.)

source:

// -----> THIS FILE IS GENERATED, MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK <------
// Filename: matmatmult.cc
// Username: smith
// Date: Thu May 25 10:05:42 CEST 2000
// Versions: $Id: Generator.pm,v 2.9 2000/05/24 10:46:38 smith Exp $
// Versions: $Id: HashObject.pm,v 1.1.1.1 2000/04/03 10:20:16 smith Exp $
// Versions: $Id: CodeStream.pm,v 2.1 2000/04/03 09:35:08 smith Exp $
// Versions: $Id: Symtab.pm,v 2.0 2000/02/04 17:27:54 smith Exp $
// Versions: $Id: GDF.pm,v 2.0 2000/02/04 17:27:54 smith Exp $
// Versions: $Id: generator,v 2.5 2000/05/22 13:22:23 smith Exp $
// --------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps someone.

(raig

--
Craig Smith              'Discussion is an exchange of knowledge;
Mitarbeiter, Informatik   argument an exchange of ignorance.'

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

Quote:

[...]
> : The only Perl-specific issue I can think of is avoiding extraneous
> : information for the ident command.  For example, if a script contains
> : something like:
> :
> :     open FILE, $filename or die "$filename: $!\n";
> :
> : the ident command will think 'filename' is an RCS keyword.  This is mostly
> : harmless, but annoying.

>    You must be working with an old version of CVS.  Unless you happen
>    to call your variable $Revision or such, this isn't a problem.  CVS
>    won't attempt to expand any non-valid keyword:

I'm working with RCS 5.7 and CVS 1.10.  Those are the latest
versions available at ftp.gnu.org.

Yes, I know the "$filename: $" won't be expanded, either by RCS or
CVS, but it will cause the ident command (which is part of RCS, not
CVS) to display an extraneous line.  The CVS documentation recommends
using the RCS ident command.

As I said, it's mostly harmless, but annoying.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Welcome to the last year of the 20th century.

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

>I'm working with RCS 5.7 and CVS 1.10.  Those are the latest
>versions available at ftp.gnu.org.

You may be interested to know that the current CVS release is actually
1.10.8 and that it's available from ftp://ftp.cvshome.org/pub/cvs-1.10.8/ .

-Garry Williams

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

Quote:
>BEGIN
>{

>}

Nice idea.  Thanks.

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CVS for perl projects

Quote:

>[...]
>> >I've run into this with RCS; I presume it applies to CVS as well.

>> Doesn't $nokeywords$ take care of this?

>> >You'll also need to avoid certain uses of certain identifiers that may
>> >be expanded when a file is checked out; "man co" for details.

>> Doesn't $nokeywords$ take care of that too?

>There's no such feature in RCS 5.7 or CVS 1.10 (verified by searching
>the sources and documentation and by experiment).

>It sounds like an interesting feature; does it exist somewhere that
>I'm not familiar with?

Bizarre.  I can't find it in my documentation either, so I wonder what
impulse made me start putting $nokeywords$ in every source file.

Must have been a dream.

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16 and 32bit BDE on the same table - HOW

2. CVS for perl projects

3. a perl script for CVS - problem

4. Perl and CVS

5. Perl/CGI setuid script displays odd cvs checkout behavior

6. a perl script for CVS - problem

7. cvs and perl-modules

8. Does a perl CVS modules exist?

9. CVS and Perl

10. RCS/CVS for perl scripts

11. CVS, Perl, Build Control and free Nerf Gun

12. Perl + CVS operations