Need sample perl script for Win32 service creation
Author Message
 Need sample perl script for Win32 service creation

I'm using a utility on NT4.0 that does not work in a clustered
NT configuration.  What I want to do is use perl to
create a "service" wrapper around it and be able to
use client perl code on the the remote host to pass
commands to it and get resulting output.

Would be easy in C++, but it has to be in perl.  Any help
out there?  The bad news is that it has to be done
quickly (always the case isn't it).   Please email to

much.

any code, help, pointers to help appreciated. thanks...cliff

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need sample perl script for Win32 service creation

Quote:

> I'm using a utility on NT4.0 that does not work in a clustered
> NT configuration.  What I want to do is use perl to
> create a "service" wrapper around it and be able to
> use client perl code on the the remote host to pass
> commands to it and get resulting output.

I'd approach it like this:

1. Write a Perl wrapper program that can drive your utility in the
required way.  While you debug it, it can be interactive, but by the
time it's finished it must be able to run without user intervention.

2. Write your Perl client program.  Use one of the techniques in
perlipc, such as TCP/IP sockets, to communicate between the wrapper
and the client program.  Hint: IO::Socket makes socket programming
very much easier.

3. Use the srvany program from the NT Resource Kit to make your Perl
wrapper program run as a service.  If you don't have the Resource Kit,
consult one of your sysadmins, who will have received it as part of
your organisation's TechNet subscription.

Quote:
> Please email to

> much.

Okay.  Mind the spam trap.  In general, though, you'll find more
people are willing to help if you're prepared to come back to the
group to read the answers to your questions.  If you don't have easy
access to a Usenet feed, <http://www.deja.com/> offers a Web-based
Usenet interface for use in emergencies.

Markus

--
Web site of the week: <http://www.mailexpire.com/>

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Spurious RecordCount for certain parameterized queries

2. Need sample perl script for Win32 service creation

3. Win32 Perl changing Service Account for NT-Services

4. Dating service script needed -matchmaker script

5. "Error Creating Cursor Handle"

6. need to read passwords from a Perl script running as a service

7. Need help with Win32::Service

8. REQUEST: Need a sample 'curseperl' script

9. ingenue needs assistance getting sample scripts running

10. numerics in Pascal: what do you use?

11. Need a script for mailing services

12. Win32: Any scripts to shut down all services?